Campfire on Columbia

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Re: Campfire on Columbia

Post by HikerGuy »

oldmanforest wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:37 am I have previously had nothing but respect for ScottP, but are campfires outside of established fire rings allowed in this location? In other words, was this a legal fire that got out of hand or an illegal fire that got out of hand? I would agree that Scott showed the qualities you listed if it's the former, but if the latter than thank god he has earned the benefit of the doubt because otherwise he'd be getting crucified here and that would not have been showing responsibility or integrity at all, though I'll give you honesty.
Legal fire with lessons learned for everyone.
speth
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 44
Trip Reports (3)

Post by speth »

climbingcue wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:13 pm
ker0uac wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:16 pm I am digressing a bit, but I always wondered if there's anything you can do to "fire-proof" your house. Buildings have fire-rated doors which I think are made out of gypsum. Couldn't one build a gypsum wall around the perimeter of their house? Would that be cost prohibitive or cost effective?
I have a friend that had a house that survive the Grand Lake fire last year. If you house makes it through, you still have to deal with all the smoke damage. He also had to replace all the windows in the house because of heat, not because of broken glass.
Oh geeze, I don't know why but I've never even thought about smoke damage without explicit burning/destruction during a wildfire. Should be obvious - I couldn't imagine the aftermath...

All I want is to just have fun, live my life like a son of a gun
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

oldmanforest wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:37 amI have previously had nothing but respect for ScottP, but are campfires outside of established fire rings allowed in this location?
Yes it is allowed, but of course now I can say that it's always better not to have one.

Source:

There are currently no fire restrictions on public lands managed by the US Forest Service (USFS) located on the Pike and San Isabel National Forests, Cimarron and Comanche National Grasslands.

https://usfs.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapSe ... may%20vary.

Come late spring and summer though it's likely the area will be under fire restrictions. Probably state wide.

In some popular backcountry areas/campsites such as Navajo Lake, Chicago Basin, etc. fires are always banned, year round, but not at this location.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
oldmanforest
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by oldmanforest »

deleted
Last edited by oldmanforest on Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pizza-sandwich
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pizza-sandwich »

quick comment about “fire proofing” houses.

it’s not about making it burn proof, it’s about making in defensible. ops will post hand crews to structures to reinforce existing mitigation then put a type 3/4/5/6 there to keep embers or understory burn from igniting the whole thing (unless it’s a crown run or a total cluster f**k fire in which case they won’t do that).

when we come to a structure we triage it’s defensibility and the more work you put in, the more we’ll be able/willing to keep it standing.

so keep your property manicured because it’ll make a firefighters job a lot more successful.