Campfire on Columbia

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Re: Campfire on Columbia

Post by HikerGuy »

ker0uac
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ker0uac »

I am digressing a bit, but I always wondered if there's anything you can do to "fire-proof" your house. Buildings have fire-rated doors which I think are made out of gypsum. Couldn't one build a gypsum wall around the perimeter of their house? Would that be cost prohibitive or cost effective?
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

Imma just gunna leave this here

dwoodward13
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 157 6
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dwoodward13 »

ker0uac wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:16 pm I am digressing a bit, but I always wondered if there's anything you can do to "fire-proof" your house. Buildings have fire-rated doors which I think are made out of gypsum. Couldn't one build a gypsum wall around the perimeter of their house? Would that be cost prohibitive or cost effective?
You'd also need to consider flying embers as well. Creating defensible space with no brush/trees/ect is essentially creating a "wall" around your house. And also probably looks nicer :lol:
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

ker0uac wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:16 pm but I always wondered if there's anything you can do to "fire-proof" your house
Concrete.

1379081112755untitled_20120917_169.jpg
1379081112755untitled_20120917_169.jpg (32.56 KiB) Viewed 2649 times
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
ahogling
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ahogling »

Thanks Scott for demonstrating responsibility, integrity and honesty. Not easy to do when the world is watching. I would like to think I would do the same but I am not sure.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

ker0uac wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:16 pm I am digressing a bit, but I always wondered if there's anything you can do to "fire-proof" your house. Buildings have fire-rated doors which I think are made out of gypsum. Couldn't one build a gypsum wall around the perimeter of their house? Would that be cost prohibitive or cost effective?
Fire doors are generally metal. As Pilgrim mentioned concrete works well. Also tile, brick, stone, stucco, and metal works. Gypsum is generally used indoors. Ember intrusion can be prevented with metal screens over vents and under decks.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

dwoodward13 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:33 pm
You'd also need to consider flying embers as well. Creating defensible space with no brush/trees/ect is essentially creating a "wall" around your house. And also probably looks nicer :lol:
There are a lot of things you can do with the exterior materials, but a lot of people don't want to do them for aesthetic reasons. The big one is not to use wood on the exterior, so instead of wood siding use a noncombustible material like stone, stucco, fiber cement. Not using foam for exterior insulation is better for fire-resistance as well, you can use rock wool instead. Not using wood shakes on your roof, use asphalt shingles. Some juristictions in the WUI (wildland-urban interface) ban certain wood material already. Code does not wood above 60' from grade due to fire fighting access and requires it to be fire-resistance treated at 40' and foam plastic insulation does not pass required tests with certain claddings (i.e wood siding). The other design issues come from decks/balconies and trim material (i.e. around windows or eaves). People still tend to do those out of wood but there are fiber cement trim boards available and decking out of Redwood is more fire-resistive than other wood products or even synthetic decking, Redwood is a Class B fire rating.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 317 21 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

I have a friend that had a house that survive the Grand Lake fire last year. If you house makes it through, you still have to deal with all the smoke damage. He also had to replace all the windows in the house because of heat, not because of broken glass.
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 72 months
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Post by madbuck »

Wow, definitely learned a lot myself, especially given that 2 parties thought the fire was out in those winter temps and conditions.
It's almost a paradoxical risk in that a fire that smolders under snow would not consume its fuel source or get as much attention as a flame.

Sorry that you went through that stress and concern, Scott, and very laudable that you spoke up when many would not have. (Heck, nobody would have known, whereas so many people these days will deny things that have direct evidence!)
ker0uac
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ker0uac »

I understand if you are building or gut rehabbing a house, but I was wondering what to do around the perimeter if you already have a house that was built back when the world wasn't burning down. In LA, so many houses are at constant risk and are being sold below market coz nobody wants a hot potato. But lots of them have plenty of land around the perimeter that could be used to build barriers. Anyways, just curious.
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion
oldmanforest
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by oldmanforest »

deleted
Last edited by oldmanforest on Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.