Winter Winds: Warnings and Tips

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Robbie Crouse
14ers: 33  5 
13ers: 22 7
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Winter Winds: Warnings and Tips

Post by Robbie Crouse »

This is a great thread. I'll also recommend that masks that have to be taken completely off in order to drink/eat are really unhelpful; they lose whatever effectiveness they had while on when you have to take them off. I use several buffs that can be loosely put over my mouth and nose. Goggles, too, are a must.

One thing I'll add, too, is the irony about wind in the winter. The places that are often most avalanche safe are also windiest: tops of ridges, spines/ribs, or west facing slopes which scour the snow or keep facets from developing. Although winter wind is the worst, it's also the thing keeping you safe from being buried under snow.
Last edited by Robbie Crouse on Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gandalf69
14ers: 31 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Gandalf69 »

Hiker Mike wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:57 pm One tip I figured out early, thankfully not the hard way, was to always have a carbineer on the outside of my pack in order to clip my shell to while changing layers. I've been in very windy situations while changing layers and it sure gave some peace of mind to know my jacket wasn't going anywhere.

Mike
I always bring extra gloves because I had the wind blow mine away a couple years ago when changing layers. Learning the hard way sucks but I haven't had it happen again
"There's always the possibility that some a**hole will be offended." -Clint Eastwood, Escape from Alcatraz
"Life is cruel, why should the afterlife be any different".-Davey Jones
"The decision to triage us to death...I understand. I don't know that I would agree with it. Certainly not in retrospect because obviously I made it."-Beck Weathers, Dark side of Everest
Barnold41
14ers: 15 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Barnold41 »

I use a TurtleFur winter totally tubular with the thinner summer version underneath and it works well. The thin one takes most of the moisture and the thicker one doesn't freeze up because of that, plus they dry out relatively quickly compared to wool buffs. If it's crazy cold, I might use a wool one around my neck but never over my face.

Also, hand warmers are amazing.