phone for cycling power meter link

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

phone for cycling power meter link

Post by pvnisher »

Finally got some power meter pedals so I can play with Zwift. It looks like I can just pair Zwift on my phone with the pedals and ride indoors.

If I want to use the pedals outdoors and get power meter data, do I need a cycling computer to collect the power meter info? It looks like Strava won't accept power meters (which blows my mind).

The end goal is to be able to look at Strava and have my power meter, heart rate info (from watch), and the usual Strava tracks, speed, etc.

So do I also need a cycling computer? Seems redundant if I already have a phone collecting the GPS, right?!
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Re: phone for cycling power meter link

Post by cedica »

Just for my education, what pedals?
Have to admit that I'm not up to speedplay with the latest, last thing I vaguely remember was some startup going down in flames, some insider floating the white paper on why this will never work, stuff like that.
spoony
14ers: 21  14  3 
13ers: 5 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by spoony »

Strava has waffled on whether to pair with Bluetooth accessories, e.g., HRM and power meters. Strava used to support pairing with the phone, but then dropped that function a year or two ago because the pairing was making the app unstable. Anyway, per Strava, they have re-added pairing functionality with HRMs and they intend to roll out pairing with cadence/power, but they have no timeline for doing so. See: https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/art ... Strava-app

So, to answer your question, yes, you will need a separate device to track power at the moment. Also, looks like Strava is only pairing with Bluetooth, not Ant+ if that matters for you.
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

Got the Favero Assioma. I figure pedals are the way to go for interoperability between bikes.
What I really wanted were mountain pedals since that's what I normally ride on everything, but they only make roadie power pedals for now.

Was hoping strava would pair, seems like it would.

I'm surprised there isn't a different app that will take the data. I guess the companies that do it would rather sell hardware than an app, though.
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

pvnisher wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:48 pm Got the Favero Assioma.
I was most likely wrong, startup that folded was developing cleat based power measuring, this is on pedal spindle and different technology.

But Dear Lord, the price on these things! :wft: Your posts so far led me to believe that you are not employed by drug cartels. Just kidding, thank you for beta testing, keep us posted.
spoony
Trip Reports (0)

Post by spoony »

cedica wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:10 am
pvnisher wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:48 pm Got the Favero Assioma.
I was most likely wrong, startup that folded was developing cleat based power measuring, this is on pedal spindle and different technology.

But Dear Lord, the price on these things! :wft: Your posts so far led me to believe that you are not employed by drug cartels. Just kidding, thank you for beta testing, keep us posted.
There have been a few different brands trying to start a cleat-based system. Here's a recent discussion of the "white whale" of power measurement: https://cyclingtips.com/2021/03/are-cle ... n-the-way/

Have heard good things about the Assioma. I have the Garmin Vector 3 (just the one sided measurement) and it is decent...not as precise/accurate/good as my Quarq/Sram crank-based meter, but I'm not gunning for the Tour, so it is still fun and helpful to me.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (39)

Post by justiner »

You want white whale, follow the epic tale of trying to get a good power meter in a running shoe.
spoony
Trip Reports (0)

Post by spoony »

justiner wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:46 am You want white whale, follow the epic tale of trying to get a good power meter in a running shoe.
I believe it. I think there was a cycling shoe based system floating around for a while too.
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

cedica wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:10 am But Dear Lord, the price on these things! :wft: Your posts so far led me to believe that you are not employed by drug cartels.
1, that's a bold assumption.
2, right? That's why I don't want to have to buy a computer to put on the bike when I already have a phone! Especially if the phone is already doing the gps tracking and has bluetooth!
spoony
Trip Reports (0)

Post by spoony »

Not to unearth this thread from the grave, but there appears to be a new SPD-based pedal power meter en route to market: https://cyclingtips.com/2021/03/new-gar ... pd-models/
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

I had a glitch with my Wahoo app this past weekend, it wouldn't autoload some data. I learned that they did a server migration and there were some glitches, etc. A fix is imminent.

But visiting the Wahoo site yesterday made me recall that Wahoo bought Speedplay, forgot about that. The relevance of this post is that Wahoo is still claiming that they will have a pedal-based power meter system live in summer 2021. Maybe that's old news but just thought I'd update it. Fwiw, you of course have to buy the Speedplay pedals/cleats and they ain't cheap for sure. But then neither are most power meter systems generally.

Pvnisher: Just fyi, I have an old but barely used stem-mounted phone bracket, happy to mail it to you, free. But I suspect you already have one, just putting that out there.

-Tom