Tubbs Mountaineer Snowshoes - Sizing

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
NatDog
14ers: 58 
13ers: 33 2
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Tubbs Mountaineer Snowshoes - Sizing

Post by NatDog »

Thanks for the replies everyone. From the comments it sounded like most people recommend the 25", but at 6'3" and 190 lb that just seemed too small for me. I actually got lucky and found the 30" version online last night so looking forward to trying them out. It also sounds like I made the right choice, you all seem to love these snowshoes.
specmiata37
14ers: 52  2 
13ers: 47 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by specmiata37 »

I've had the Tubbs Mountaineers 25 for about 10 years. They have been great for me. I especially like the binding system. Broke the crampons in tough conditions a couple of years ago and got them repaired. I have no problems lashing them to my larger winter pack. And the weight is not an issue for me. I am a smaller guy, 175 lbs, so the 25's work good for me, even in snow not packed down and deep.
"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am."
"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings."
John Muir

grenouille verte
Colorado Cajun
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

I like the bindings better than others also, one thing I found more helpful though was swapping right and left such that the clips are on the INSIDE making it easier to reach. I found I'd need yoga flexibility to reach them when it was outside. I haven't found any issue with shoes touching having them on the inside
Jay521
14ers: 42  10 
13ers: 175 22
Trip Reports (56)

Post by Jay521 »

I started snowshoeing long before the metal frame neoprene snowshoes were available and built quite a collection of old style snowshoes which I used for years. I've used MSR Lightning Ascents (30") for the last 8 or 9 years but when it comes to pure floatation, my old tennis racquets can't be beat. From L to R, the sizes are 10X46, 11X54 and 12X60. I used the 11X54's most of the time and if I used that 12X60's I could almost walk on water however turning was akin to changing direction of an aircraft carrier. The only real problem with the old style is that they don't have traction for going up steeper stuff which is why I wrapped the white cord on the frames of the 11X54's but I still had trouble going up anything steep. One could literally ski down with them if snow conditions were correct, tho.
DSCN0182a.jpg
DSCN0182a.jpg (156.8 KiB) Viewed 1705 times
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
k_fergie
14ers: 58  2  1 
13ers: 160 33 5
Trip Reports (5)

Post by k_fergie »

Jay521 wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:50 pm I started snowshoeing long before the metal frame neoprene snowshoes were available and built quite a collection of old style snowshoes which I used for years. I've used MSR Lightning Ascents (30") for the last 8 or 9 years but when it comes to pure floatation, my old tennis racquets can't be beat. From L to R, the sizes are 10X46, 11X54 and 12X60. I used the 11X54's most of the time and if I used that 12X60's I could almost walk on water however turning was akin to changing direction of an aircraft carrier. The only real problem with the old style is that they don't have traction for going up steeper stuff which is why I wrapped the white cord on the frames of the 11X54's but I still had trouble going up anything steep. One could literally ski down with them if snow conditions were correct, tho.
DSCN0182a.jpg
Wow, look at those boats, I'm giving you the nickname "CaptCO3"! Love it
I thought, I taught, I wrought
Jay521
14ers: 42  10 
13ers: 175 22
Trip Reports (56)

Post by Jay521 »

k_fergie wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:59 pm Wow, look at those boats, I'm giving you the nickname "CaptCO3"! Love it
I'm not sure if that's a compliment or not! :lol:
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down