Tubbs Mountaineer Snowshoes - Sizing

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
NatDog
14ers: 58 
13ers: 33 2
Trip Reports (2)

Tubbs Mountaineer Snowshoes - Sizing

Post by NatDog »

Does anyone have experience with these snowshoes, specifically with either sizing up or sizing down? I am looking to grab a pair for some spring hikes but am having a difficult time finding any in stock at this time of year.

Based on my weight/pack load the 30" shoes are my size according to the Tubbs website, but I have not found a single pair in any stores. I have found one pair at 25" and one at 36", and just wondering if anyone has recommendations on sizing up or down. For what it's worth, I plan on using these to hike Humboldt, Redcloud/Sunshine, Harvard, Columbia, and Culebra within the next 2 months or so.

Thanks!
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Re: Tubbs Mountaineer Snowshoes - Sizing

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

I would go with the smaller size. You will potentially have to carry them a lot. MSR are better I think. Hard to find them in stock this winter though.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

Size is more about weight than fit. If you're weight with a full pack for your adventure is over the limit for the smaller size then I'd go up a size, unless you just can't make hiking im the bigger shoes work for you?
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

CaptainSuburbia wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:11 am I would go with the smaller size. You will potentially have to carry them a lot. MSR are better I think. Hard to find them in stock this winter though.
I bought a new pair of MSR evo's at Jax in Loveland yesterday, and I was surprised to see them. I went in only to purchase a replacement strap (one broke) for my existing Evo's that are 10+ years old, but walked out with straps and the new set!
Dan_Suitor
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 90
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Dan_Suitor »

You can still posthole in snowshoes, and it sucks. Personally, I’d go larger. I never understood the small show shoes. If you are not using them for floatation, microspikes are a lot lighter and more convenient. Just my 2 cents.
Century Bound, eventually.
Will_E
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 210 37
Trip Reports (21)

Post by Will_E »

36” just sounds ridiculous, I didn’t know they existed that large. I’m small (5’7”, 145 lbs). MSR guide says I should be using 22”, but I wanted some extra float so I went with 25”, which feel *almost* too big. I can’t imagine clomping around in 36” snowshoes.
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

Will_E wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:55 am 36” just sounds ridiculous, I didn’t know they existed that large. I’m small (5’7”, 145 lbs). MSR guide says I should be using 22”, but I wanted some extra float so I went with 25”, which feel *almost* too big. I can’t imagine clomping around in 36” snowshoes.
I believe mine are 36". I'm also 6'7 and 210lbs. Over 250 with a full winter load out for overnight camping. 250 is the weight rating for 30". Being taller meams linger strides so the longer snowshoes aren't as awkward.
Dayute
14ers: 56  1 
13ers: 10 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Dayute »

A lot of the MSR models have removable tails that allow you to add length when needed. I dont use mine very often but they do help in deep powder.
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

I've been using Tubbs Mountaineers for 10+ years and love them. I looked at MSR's and found them lacking, but I'm super picky abut gear (I didn't like the style/construction of the crampons, I thought the bindings would be a bit challenging to adjust with mitts on and possibly prone to breakage). Others love MSR's. Fwiw, I've never had anything break on them and I've put them through some abuse, they are Sherman Tanks. I suppose I should get them overhauled at the end of this season, but that's just a choice vs. dire need.

So my comments are based on the model I bought 10+ years ago, I assume (?) the design hasn't significantly changed. I am 5'8" and weigh 157lbs, I have the 25" model and I've carried a full overnight winter pack with them. But note that if you're doing 14ers, you'll probably have a track to follow, either recent or a week+ old, i.e. you probably won't be carrying a full overnight pack on completely fresh powder snow. That's a guess/assumption, but having a bit of a track makes a huge difference and suggests a shorter size. Just my opinions,

-Tom
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (20)

Post by Kiefer »

Like Tom, I have also used the Tubbs Mountaineer for YEARS.
After decades of having used models like: Yukon Jacks (DON'T EVER BUY THESE!!), Crescent Moon, Atlas etc. I've found that Tubbs work the best for me.
I believe mine are the 'pontoon size', 36" also. Reason why I carry slowshoes so large, is I find it's better to have and not need than need and not have [the extra surface area].
Carrying them on my backpack really isn't a big deal. A 4' length of webbing does the trick quite nice.

I'm 6'0" and weigh roughly 164. Another unintended positive consequence I have found, is when you're traveling across exposed rock or wind swept tundra, the extra length actually
makes it easier as you can transfer your weight to the back without awkwardly post-holing in between rocks at weird angles or in those occasional soft snow traps. You/I simply walk across them.
And like Tom, I like the more aggressive crampon pattern of the Mountaineers. :)
-Kiefer
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Funny you should ask. I posted about these exact snowshoes recently in my gear "pass or fail" thread:

https://www.14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 1&start=36

I actually just climbed two peaks in the Adirondacks yesterday with them and they worked wonderfully. Much easier to undo and tighten up than the MSR lightning or denalis. The crampons on the bottom held pretty well on the packed sections or the icy sections. When the slope got above 30 degrees I put the heel elevators up and they worked pretty nicely.

I used the 25" versions and they worked fine. I think any longer and they would become cumbersome and would make me move slower. while the snow was somewhat packed there was about a six to eight foot base underneath (I'm estimating that since there was four ft in my front yard so assuming it was higher on the mountain).
dennywitte
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dennywitte »

I have the Tubbs Mountaineer 30" and love them. They are wonderful backcountry snowshoes. I have had the Tubbs Couloir 30", a very similar snowshoe, for ten years prior to the Mountaineers. I am 6'1" and 195lb.