DJI mavic mini 2

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
andrew85
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (3)

Re: DJI mavic mini 2

Post by andrew85 »

Thought the boundary was along Ellingwood's southwest ridge or is this not correct?
wilderness.jpg
wilderness.jpg (124.51 KiB) Viewed 2575 times
Hadn't considered the private land aspect but even in that case flying above private property is not illegal just like flying above wilderness areas is technically not illegal, you just can't take off and land in wilderness areas (though this isn't really a risk worth taking in case you have to have an emergency landing). I think as long you're being courteous to others in the area and not causing any kind of damage or disturbance drone usage is fine, though I can see these restrictions becoming stricter or better defined in the near future if it's believed people are becoming reckless or disrespectful with them.
Salient
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Salient »

andrew85 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:41 pm I flew a Mavic Pro on the summit of Little Bear with no issues so a Mavic Mini 2 should do just fine. As others have said, there are many 14ers in wilderness areas that you can't fly in so be aware of that and courteous to those around in areas where you can fly as even the quietest drones are still extremely loud. Mind you there are people that are just going to hate on drones regardless, like on LIttle Bear I did it in the middle of the week when I'd seen five people all day (only one who was even within 2000ft) on a non-wilderness area summit and I was somehow still catching heat from people who simply didn't like the idea. As long as they're legal summits I'd say go for it, just try to stay out of people's way and worst case if someone approaches the vicinity just ask them if they mind you flying and pause if they do.
Yeah, cause even though it wasn't wilderness area, that's still private property I think.
Be the best you that you can be.
DaveLanders
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DaveLanders »

Blanca and Little Bear are not in the Sangre de Cristo Wilderness. I just checked this on LoJ.
Every village has at least one idiot. Successful villages choose someone else to be their leader.
RyGuy
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 230 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RyGuy »

andrew85 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:30 pm Thought the boundary was along Ellingwood's southwest ridge or is this not correct?
wilderness.jpg
Hadn't considered the private land aspect but even in that case flying above private property is not illegal just like flying above wilderness areas is technically not illegal, you just can't take off and land in wilderness areas (though this isn't really a risk worth taking in case you have to have an emergency landing). I think as long you're being courteous to others in the area and not causing any kind of damage or disturbance drone usage is fine, though I can see these restrictions becoming stricter or better defined in the near future if it's believed people are becoming reckless or disrespectful with them.
Just checked again, I stand corrected. I think I thought it was since a Bill was introduced last year to add that small section of USFS land that encompasses Tobin Creek and the southern half of the Chokecherry drainage to the Sangre De Cristo Wilderness. Apparently that hasn't passed yet.
Link for proposed bill: https://coloradosun.com/2020/03/13/cory ... al-forest/

Current map is below showing the USFS land vs Wilderness:
LittleBearWildernessMap.JPG
LittleBearWildernessMap.JPG (192.38 KiB) Viewed 2533 times
"Climbing mountains is the only thing I know that combines the best of the physical, spiritual, and emotional world all rolled into one." -Steve Gladbach
jlipold
14ers: 18 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jlipold »

Thanks for those that gave a serious answer and not "ew they make noise you're worse than a boombox toting person." I'll probably avoid since I'm bad at cinematography as a whole, plus being in colorado, I'm typically in crowded-ish areas and noise pollution is a big thing. Saves me $500 anyways
Somewhat of a Prick
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 84
Trip Reports (17)

Post by Somewhat of a Prick »

Quick point - Its only illegal to take off or land in a wilderness area. Its NOT illegal to fly over wilderness. That said, avoid flying around people and all that good stuff.

I fly mine often on 13ers, assuming the weather is fine and there are no people around. I have a boatload of great footage, much of it sells very well for me on stock sites. I'd be damned if I ever posted a second of it here though. The vitriol towards drones, even if flown legally and respectfully, is off the charts.
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor »

Salient wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:34 pm
andrew85 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:41 pm I flew a Mavic Pro on the summit of Little Bear with no issues so a Mavic Mini 2 should do just fine. As others have said, there are many 14ers in wilderness areas that you can't fly in so be aware of that and courteous to those around in areas where you can fly as even the quietest drones are still extremely loud. Mind you there are people that are just going to hate on drones regardless, like on LIttle Bear I did it in the middle of the week when I'd seen five people all day (only one who was even within 2000ft) on a non-wilderness area summit and I was somehow still catching heat from people who simply didn't like the idea. As long as they're legal summits I'd say go for it, just try to stay out of people's way and worst case if someone approaches the vicinity just ask them if they mind you flying and pause if they do.
Yeah, cause even though it wasn't wilderness area, that's still private property I think.
Are you saying you can't fly a drone (or any other aircraft) over private property? Structure and people issues aside... you know, like on little bear's summit.
k_fergie
14ers: 58  2  1 
13ers: 160 34 6
Trip Reports (5)

Post by k_fergie »

Somewhat of a Prick wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:32 pm Quick point - Its only illegal to take off or land in a wilderness area. Its NOT illegal to fly over wilderness. That said, avoid flying around people and all that good stuff.

I fly mine often on 13ers, assuming the weather is fine and there are no people around. I have a boatload of great footage, much of it sells very well for me on stock sites. I'd be damned if I ever posted a second of it here though. The vitriol towards drones, even if flown legally and respectfully, is off the charts.
IDK where people seem to get the idea that you can fly over Wilderness areas as long as you don't take off/land in them, not really true from what I've seen. According to the USDA, "Do not fly over congressionally designated wilderness areas or primitive areas as many people seek these places for the opportunities for solitude and quiet that they provide."

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DO ... 846515.pdf
I thought, I taught, I wrought
Dayute
14ers: 56  1 
13ers: 10 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Dayute »

Flying a drone in a place where people put in tremendous effort to reach peace and solitude just seems extremely selfish. Just because you only saw 5 people doesnt mean that 20 people didnt hear you. That buzzing sound carries so much farther than you would think. We all complain because we've experienced it. I'm usually able to let things go but the few times ive experienced the noise i was really annoyed. Im not quite to the point of smashing a drone with a rock but if I saw someone else do it I probably wouldnt step in to stop it.
Somewhat of a Prick
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 84
Trip Reports (17)

Post by Somewhat of a Prick »

k_fergie wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:00 pm
Somewhat of a Prick wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:32 pm Quick point - Its only illegal to take off or land in a wilderness area. Its NOT illegal to fly over wilderness. That said, avoid flying around people and all that good stuff.

IDK where people seem to get the idea that you can fly over Wilderness areas as long as you don't take off/land in them, not really true from what I've seen. According to the USDA, "Do not fly over congressionally designated wilderness areas or primitive areas as many people seek these places for the opportunities for solitude and quiet that they provide."

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DO ... 846515.pdf
What you cited isn't a law, its a recommendation

However, your own link has the actual rule (see bottom). First pic is a very gray area but legal (in my opinion and from everything I've read on drone laws which is quite extensive) flight. Launch from outside a boundary, even if by a few feet. Fly over a wilderness and back. Dumb? Maybe. Annoying to people? Sure, if there are people around. I wouldn't ever recommend someone to fly off any 14er, just too crowded. However, this example flight doesn't meet the criteria in the bottom pic for what is not allowed. Barely.

I know I'm kicking the hornet's nest a bit here by bucking the forum consensus on drones. I'm not trying to start a flame war, just putting forth my research as someone who has been flying drones for years.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (144.95 KiB) Viewed 2256 times
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (19.51 KiB) Viewed 2259 times
Eli Boardman
14ers: 58  1  15 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Eli Boardman »

Dayute wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:20 pmIm not quite to the point of smashing a drone with a rock but if I saw someone else do it I probably wouldnt step in to stop it.
Luckily they've got nice cameras, so I'd have no problem calling the sheriff for destruction of property with plenty of evidence. It's not the wild west anymore folks. :-D
Dayute
14ers: 56  1 
13ers: 10 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Dayute »

Eli Boardman wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:40 pm
Dayute wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:20 pmIm not quite to the point of smashing a drone with a rock but if I saw someone else do it I probably wouldnt step in to stop it.
Luckily they've got nice cameras, so I'd have no problem calling the sheriff for destruction of property with plenty of evidence. It's not the wild west anymore folks. :-D
Somehow I doubt the Hinsdale County sheriff is going to chase someone across the state or several states over for a property crime under $1000 even if you do manage to find them bragging on Facebook. I think those level of crimes are even legal on California 14ers now, the wild west is making a comeback out there.