MSR Lightning vs Evo

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Eli Watson
14ers: 58  17 
13ers: 73
Trip Reports (2)

MSR Lightning vs Evo

Post by Eli Watson »

It's dividend + member sale season and I'm looking to upgrade my slow-shoes. I know this may have been covered before but "MSR" and "Evo" are both some of those words that get ignored in the text search for the forum. MSR Lightnings in stock is a rare sight for this winter, but I'm between them and a pair of Evos. If it helps, I'm probably around 210-220 lbs with my winter pack at the heaviest.

Thoughts? What's the biggest difference in performance between the two models? I know the Evo is heavier but more durable. Are they prohibitively heavy for hill walking?
People who are hardcore don't think they're hardcore. Marshall Ulrich, Fastest Known Podcast #85
719BR
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Re: MSR Lightning vs Evo

Post by 719BR »

Eli Watson wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:02 am It's dividend + member sale season and I'm looking to upgrade my slow-shoes. I know this may have been covered before but "MSR" and "Evo" are both some of those words that get ignored in the text search for the forum. MSR Lightnings in stock is a rare sight for this winter, but I'm between them and a pair of Evos. If it helps, I'm probably around 200-210 lbs with my winter pack at the heaviest.

Thoughts? What's the biggest difference in performance between the two models?
i can't compare them to Evos, but i have and use the lightnings pretty regularly, and i'm about your weight when i've got the winter pack on. for me it's a good blend of weight and performance. only negative is that i maybe should have got the tails. i've been in a couple REALLY soft snows where the extra little bit would have been helpful although not necessary.
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

I'm pretty sure you need to get Revo or lightning if you want heel lifts. They'll also have better crampons too.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
Cereal
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Cereal »

Another vote here for the Lightning Ascents. I am CHEAP, but paying more for these was very worth it. The traction on the outer metal rim of the shoes is fantastic, and has held up quite well (over the past three years).
Eli Watson
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Eli Watson »

Thanks all. I actually found a pair of 25" Lightnings surprisingly in stock at the website-that-shall-not-be-named. Hopefully they actually ship. I'll have to find another use for my dividend, or cash it since I use the card.
CaptainSuburbia wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:17 am I'm pretty sure you need to get Revo or lightning if you want heel lifts. They'll also have better crampons too.
From what I could tell, the Evo Ascents have the heel lifts - or as another forum user mentioned years ago the 'Avalanche Indicators'. The Evo Ascents also have a pretty rock solid strap system that I'm a little jealous of but we'll see.
People who are hardcore don't think they're hardcore. Marshall Ulrich, Fastest Known Podcast #85
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

Eli Watson wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:03 am Thanks all. I actually found a pair of 25" Lightnings surprisingly in stock at the website-that-shall-not-be-named. Hopefully they actually ship. I'll have to find another use for my dividend, or cash it since I use the card.
CaptainSuburbia wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:17 am I'm pretty sure you need to get Revo or lightning if you want heel lifts. They'll also have better crampons too.
From what I could tell, the Evo Ascents have the heel lifts - or as another forum user mentioned years ago the 'Avalanche Indicators'. The Evo Ascents also have a pretty rock solid strap system that I'm a little jealous of but we'll see.
Looks like they do! I didn't realize Evo had an ascent model.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
youngk2844
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (10)

Post by youngk2844 »

I am a fan of the MSR Lightnings. I just had MSR replace broken crampons on my Lightning Ascents for a total cost of $20 plus shipping. I've used them on many winter climbs in Colorado and Idaho and they've held up to a lot of abuse. I'm surprised the original crampons survived as long as they did (a little over four seasons). I hope you have many years of happy use with yours!
Alpine Guy
14ers: 40 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Alpine Guy »

Don't overlook the womens - same thing as the mens but a little narrower for an easier stride.
Roll No Rocks
Eli Watson
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Eli Watson »

Alpine Guy wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:26 pm Don't overlook the womens - same thing as the mens but a little narrower for an easier stride.
Danggggg wish I had known. That raspberry color is lush. My 25" arrived yesterday, almost didn't believe it when I saw 3 were in stock. Looking forward to breaking them in.
Eli Watson
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Eli Watson »

CaptCO wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:29 am
Eli Watson wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:26 am
Alpine Guy wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:26 pm Don't overlook the womens - same thing as the mens but a little narrower for an easier stride.
Danggggg wish I had known. That raspberry color is lush. My 25" arrived yesterday, almost didn't believe it when I saw 3 were in stock. Looking forward to breaking them in.
Heck yea, did you end up with the “spiderweb” or strap system? Probably retiring my strap ons, no pun intended, and going with the new style next winter.
I got the spider-web, which I was hesitant about at first. Looks like a design where one point of failure at a critical position can be catastrophic for the day, whereas with the old triple strap there's redundancy. I do appreciate how they really lock your foot in. I'm hoping I can leave the straps up front alone now that they're set for my boot, and just use the back strap to slide in and out for putting them on / taking off.
Will_E
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 210 37
Trip Reports (21)

Post by Will_E »

Eli Watson wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:37 am
CaptCO wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:29 am
Eli Watson wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:26 am

Heck yea, did you end up with the “spiderweb” or strap system? Probably retiring my strap ons, no pun intended, and going with the new style next winter.
I got the spider-web, which I was hesitant about at first. Looks like a design where one point of failure at a critical position can be catastrophic for the day, whereas with the old triple strap there's redundancy. I do appreciate how they really lock your foot in. I'm hoping I can leave the straps up front alone now that they're set for my boot, and just use the back strap to slide in and out for putting them on / taking off.
I wonder about the new design as well, my LA’s are very worn, will probably replace them next winter.
kingshimmers
14ers: 15 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kingshimmers »

Eli Watson wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:37 am I got the spider-web, which I was hesitant about at first. Looks like a design where one point of failure at a critical position can be catastrophic for the day, whereas with the old triple strap there's redundancy.
Nothing a voile strap or two couldn't fix in a pinch :lol: (having at least one of those in your pack is a must for emergency winter gear repair)
"Be the beta you wish to find."