Podcast about Kate Matrosova

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
OneHalf50
Trip Reports (0)

Podcast about Kate Matrosova

Post by OneHalf50 »

There's a podcast called Warden's Watch. The guy who does it is a former NH Fish & Game Warden. He has a series of 4 podcasts talking about the SAR operation for Kate Matrosova. She was an experienced mountain climber who had climbed 4 of the 7 summits already. She set out for an attempt at a winter traverse of the Presidentials in the White Mountains of NH. The highest peak there is Mt Washington at 6,288'. Small by comparison to CO but has had some of the fastest windspeeds recorded in history (was 1st for a long time) and the week she attempted it had the distinction of being the 2nd coldest place on earth (probably not an uncommon occurrence).

Since I am from the region I followed the SAR operation as it unfolded and "knew" it wasn't likely to end well. The podcast also has the author of the book Where You'll Find Me on the podcast. He was able to get the PLB data, weather reports, SAR reports and interviewed many of those involved with the rescue attempt (and possibly the family as well). I have not read the book and am on the 4th episode of this series on this SAR operation. It doesn't rip anyone apart so if that's what you are hoping for, you won't get it. Most of the people involved that I have listened to pointed out their own errors as well as the problems with PLB data. It appeared at first she was moving well after she first activated the beacon. I believe this is what was being reported throughout news outlets at the time - that she was still evidently moving after dark and after the first activation of the beacon. It's terrifying how far off the successive signals were as she was found in the location the PLB FIRST gave and she had never moved.

The effect this had on the searchers is tangible in the podcast.

I think this is a very good lesson.

BTW, I haven't been to CO yet so I don't know it compares, but tree line in NH ends at about 4500 feet.
dpage
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 28 3
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Podcast about Kate Matrosova

Post by dpage »

Thanks for sharing. I'll check it out for sure. I've been listening to the Sharp End podcast which is Accidents in North American Mountaineering stories and interviews. I'm hoping not to repeat any of the mistakes made along the way and to keep myself and family safe as we play in the mountains.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Re: Podcast about Kate Matrosova

Post by nyker »

Interesting, will have to look at.
The weather in the Northeast is underestimated largely because the peaks are "small" vs. out west, but as you point out, timberline is ~4000-4500ft +/- in these parts and winters and winds can get brutal.
Weather this week has been weird, 55F on the weekend, but 18F now and 6" new snow this morning down low, 12"+ higher up.