Umbilical hernia repair

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Altitude High
14ers: 26 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Umbilical hernia repair

Post by Altitude High »

I have a mild umbilical hernia. I've consulted with a surgeon who has a good reputation for hernia repair. But I'm concerned about my ability to remain physically active to the same degree afterward. If anyone has had this procedure done, I'd like to know whether it has limited your ability to resume a physically active lifestyle.

In addition to mountaineering I cycle, run, and ... do pushups. I'm most concerned about how this may limit my ability to continue mountaineering. My goal is to finish all 14ers, and perhaps take up some climbing and other activity that would put more stress on my midsection.

I'd put this off except that it's become worse in recent years, and is more difficult to just push back in (especially after pushups). My research suggests you can resume exercise after six weeks, but I think that's directed to sedentary people whose idea of exercise is walking around the block or running to the refrigerator.

Please PM if you don't want to comment publicly.
uwe
14ers: 58 
13ers: 45
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Umbilical hernia repair

Post by uwe »

Get it done sooner than later. I waited, and waited under the direction of my primary doctor. Four years later with much annoyance and discomfort, I reached a point where the hernia 'grew' enough to get a referral to a surgeon. At the end of the day, I had a full bio-mesh tacked in. Da-Vinci robotics method is the way to go. Non-invasive as you can get it with that technology. Because of an infection from surgery, I had a second surgery 6 months later to fix that. All in all took almost a year to be 99.99, that includes training back to 'specs'. As far as activities go, I was able to hike, bike, ski, after 8-12 weeks. No strength training, crunches for a time due to surgery, then the infection and second surgery. With no infection, your recoup time table is reasonable. I am so very, very glad to get it behind me. No issues now at all and I'm at 100%. Go for it.
DaveLanders
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DaveLanders »

I would be more worried about the risks of NOT getting it fixed, especially because you say the problem is getting worse. Imagine yourself somewhere remote, like Chicago Basin, with a hernia that won't go back in. That could be really bad. Or think about being on an exposed 3rd or 4th class scramble where your hernia suddenly pops out. Would you be able to get to a safe place without falling?

No personal experience with hernias, but the people I know who have gotten them fixed don't regret it
Every village has at least one idiot. Successful villages choose someone else to be their leader.
bluegrassclimber
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bluegrassclimber »

I had an inguinal hernia repaired years ago with mesh. From time to time I’ll experience transient pain, usually when I exercise my core in ways I normally don’t (e.g. loading bags of mulch, that first kayak outing of the season.) Pop a few Advil if needed and I’m fine.

I’ve done all of my alpine hiking with the mesh, marathon training, and years of weightlifting including powerlifting movements. You should be fine, even if it takes a few months!
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (18)

Post by Kiefer »

Altitude High wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:27 am I have a mild umbilical hernia. I've consulted with a surgeon who has a good reputation for hernia repair. But I'm concerned about my ability to remain physically active to the same degree afterward. If anyone has had this procedure done, I'd like to know whether it has limited your ability to resume a physically active lifestyle.

In addition to mountaineering I cycle, run, and ... do pushups. I'm most concerned about how this may limit my ability to continue mountaineering. My goal is to finish all 14ers, and perhaps take up some climbing and other activity that would put more stress on my midsection.

I'd put this off except that it's become worse in recent years, and is more difficult to just push back in (especially after pushups). My research suggests you can resume exercise after six weeks, but I think that's directed to sedentary people whose idea of exercise is walking around the block or running to the refrigerator.

Please PM if you don't want to comment publicly.
I had inguinal hernia surgery done back in November. It took a solid couple weeks before I could walk right again. And I had the robotic surgery done too (less invasive). The first week was rough. It does get better with time and now, I'm back to doing mountains, lifting and running at work (I manage a grocery store), trail running etc. Just expect the normal healing process (time) afterward. Like Uwe said, no strength training for a while.
Am I glad I got it done sooner than later? ABSOLUTELY. But with as active as you are, I bet you'll have a good recovery. I mean, for a lot of people, their idea of exercise is watching police foot-chases on Law & Order SVU. I think you'll be fine.

If it's not bothering you or causing any pain now, there's no point in getting it fixed UNLESS YOU WANT TO. Sure it looks ugly in your birthday suit (mine did), but I didn't want any problems or medical issues happening later down the road, hence myself going in & getting it fixed super early on. And that's the real question, if you leave it 'for later', will it cause issues down the road that can't be ignored? I can't (and won't) say to have it done now, that's a personal decision. But I am glad I had it done now vs. later, for what it's worth.

The worst part of the surgery was the first three days. That anesthesia doesn't f*ck around, OH. MY. GOD. :shock: I don't think I even knew my own name for two days. It took monumental effort to walk from the bedroom to the kitchen and bending over to get something out of the fridge was almost impossible. But after those initial 72 hours, everyday got better.
PM me if you want more specifics.
jaymz
Trip Reports (1)

Post by jaymz »

I had an umbilical hernia 10 years ago, got a mesh put in. After a few weeks it wasn't even noticeable, and now I sometimes forget that I even had the procedure, until something else like this thread reminds me of it. I can't remember for sure, but it seems like I had about a 3 or 4 week recovery before I started hitting the gym again VERY gingerly. The best mountain shape I've ever been in has been since then, and I'm able to climb, trail run, snowboard, hike... whatever I set out to do, if I'm slow or incapable it's not because of the hernia or the mesh! I see no reason not to get it, and every reason not to let it go.
"But in every walk with Nature, one receives far more than he seeks."
John Muir
Altitude High
14ers: 26 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Altitude High »

Thanks for the responses everyone. I wanted to see if other people who've had it done have been able to remain as active as before, and the answer apparently is YES. Good to know. My worst nightmare is becoming a couch potato.

Since I have a good surgeon lined up, I'm going ahead with it.
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Post by madbuck »

Good to hear you’re able to line up surgery — once you’re all healed you’ll love not thinking about it.

I had an inguinal hernia in 2017 at age 38 (age factors into your healing time, etc.) I eventually got mesh repair 5.5 months later. I spent a month or 2 in denial or rationalizing that it would be OK. I started by rationalizing that many people would have had hernias without the option of surgical repair and therefore I should suck it up. I raced (pointless amateur running) between 150-200 miles in that time, plus commensurate training. I had particular races in May and August I didn’t want to miss. Since you mentioned increased difficulty pushing it back in: I eventually ran with a belt thing to hold it in, and in longer races laid flat once or twice. Sometimes that would help for hours. This worked then but seems stupid even as I type it. I wish I had done it right after my race in May.

Then I had the surgery finally in Sept. I had a direct incision, which my Doc recommended/preferred if average or lower body fat. He also generally suggested a local pain relief pump, to which I did not object,but I didn’t otherwise take painkillers, thinking I didn’t want to mask pain or interfere with inflammation. Hurt to walk for a few days (slowly and hunched over) but made myself do it. Didn’t run for a week, as planned, but jogged a bit Day 8 and through week 2. Then started running again, on trails in Week 3. I felt like I could distinguish manageable soreness from pain that suggested slowing down or stopping. Biking was a little more sore up to 4-6 weeks. Skiing at 3 mos was totally fine. I can’t speak to umbilical vs inguinal with certainty (and I can’t speak to meaningful strength training!) but I think you are 100% correct that traditional advice is for sedentary individuals. And, it behooves medical professionals to be conservative, because their risk of too-much, too-soon is greater than you (us) missing a few weeks of our hobby.

I had some occasional tweaks for 6 months, that didn’t interfere with anything, and then a twinge every weak or 2 up through a year, and then, totally nothing. Outside of my planned goals, I really wish I did it earlier. I think recovery cost 4 weeks fitness at most, with the benefit of no longer debating or worrying. Rationally, consider that a bad flu or sprain could knock us out for a couple weeks.

TLDR: you’re right that 6 weeks is conservative by design. Give yourself a week at least to recover and an easy week or two, use pain as your guide. Getting in now is preferable to get it done and be ready for prime 14erineering season. You’ll be glad to be done. You won’t become a couch potato! Good luck!

EDIT: Being clear about different hernia types and treatment, the salient part is I think that your repair is similar or better than inguinal, and if the surgery is successful you really won't miss much and it's much better to have it over with than worry about it forever. IMHO I would also get a surgery now if I felt comfortable Covid-wise, vs. a risk of something happening later this year or so (let's hope not) that makes it more complicated or risky.
Last edited by madbuck on Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gasbagger146
14ers: 17 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Gasbagger146 »

Umbilical and inguinal hernias are very different surgical repairs. Since an umbilical hernia is in the midline of the abdomen, trauma to muscles is minimal. Recovery time should be short and relatively painless. Also, I can’t see how using the Da Vinci robotic system for the repair would be indicated.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Inguinal hernias is another feature of older males. As many as a third eventually get them by their 70s. Only a fraction of them will need treatment.