Lip Protection in Snow/Altitude

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Lip Protection in Snow/Altitude

Post by greenonion »

A couple of questions re: lip protection in snow conditions and while hiking 14ers... I recently burned my lips badly doing a hike and 1.wondering what folks use to protect lips from getting burned in the first place. Mine are swollen and blistered. Second time in a couple of years. 2. What are good treatments for burned lips?

Thanks in advance!
Friedonion
Bombay2Boulder
14ers: 56  3 
13ers: 269 1
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Lip Protection in Snow/Altitude

Post by Bombay2Boulder »

I use the neutrogena lip balm SPF 20 for sun protection and never had an issue with this in sun or desert backpacking.
jbealer
14ers: 58  21 
13ers: 175 9
Trip Reports (6)

Post by jbealer »

I always use a SPF 20+ on my lips all yr hiking. you have to play with a few as some do not taste the best, i find sprouts has a good selection (check the dates on them). you can use some Aquaphor Lip Repair now and then once it is healing/ pealing i try to use a sugar scrub of some kind to move along the pealing part.
No Mountain too steep, No trail too long....
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

The only time I have problems with lip burn is on snow, so I tend to use the nasty white zinc oxide stuff, or anything in an emergency with 20+ spf. Labiosan comes highly recommended, though it has a weird brown color.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
lodgling
14ers: 58  58  2 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (12)

Post by lodgling »

I use the lip balm provided by CMH as part of their welcome packet for heli skiers. Each heli trip comes with exactly one complimentary stick of lip balm. I have been informed by my wife that this is an unsustainable method for accumulating lip protection products.
aholle88
14ers: 57  24  26 
13ers: 300 29 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by aholle88 »

Regular sunscreen works well, SPF30. Just add a dab on the lips when putting it on the ears, nose, and neck. Beards work pretty well too, keeping some extra facial hair around in the winter/spring/snowy months is a good choice if that is an option.
k_fergie
14ers: 58  2  1 
13ers: 160 33 5
Trip Reports (5)

Post by k_fergie »

lodgling wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:18 am I use the lip balm provided by CMH as part of their welcome packet for heli skiers. Each heli trip comes with exactly one complimentary stick of lip balm. I have been informed by my wife that this is an unsustainable method for accumulating lip protection products.
:lol: I follow the same unsustainable method. I've found that Scarpa usually has nice, free, minty scented lip balm at their table at CSAW most years
I thought, I taught, I wrought
Teresa Gergen
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Teresa Gergen »

20210503_131845.jpg
20210503_131845.jpg (162.67 KiB) Viewed 3452 times
Would never use less than spf 50 lip balm. I have to pant to breathe and the inside of my bottom lip also burns since it's always hanging open. Cut a strip off a Buff or similar, and cut ear slits. Wear it across your face. Tuck the top part inside your mouth between your bottom lip and teeth. Lip balm on the upper lip, frequently.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (39)

Post by justiner »

Try a mustache!
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

You can use the stick-type sunscreens on your lips, the ones that come in a tube like a big tube of Chapstick. I tend to favor those over creams anyway, stickier and IMO less likely to run off with perspiration. The stuff I use is SPF 50, maybe it comes higher than that? Or you can use the zinc oxide stuff Bergsteigen mentioned. I've used Zinka, not sure if it's still made, but I suspect there are others out there. Very effective.

-Tom
blazintoes
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 325 2 71
Trip Reports (16)

Post by blazintoes »

Would if I could...Grow a bitchin beard or keep covered via balaclava and sunscreen often.

This stuff is great: https://www.amazon.com/BLUE-LIZARD-Sens ... B083VTP119

Do you have an aloe vera plant? Snap off a tentacle and apply the gel directly. It has a cooling effect also.

Burns suck!
Bale
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bale »

6521384B-0C6A-474F-8FF5-7EE210C2CD7D.jpeg
6521384B-0C6A-474F-8FF5-7EE210C2CD7D.jpeg (21.76 KiB) Viewed 3354 times
Protect those lips or you’ll end up looking like this.
The earth, like the sun, like the air, belongs to everyone - and to no one. - Edward Abbey