PSA: Check for Ticks

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Fisching
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 144 1
Trip Reports (13)

PSA: Check for Ticks

Post by Fisching »

Friendly reminder to check yourself and your pet for ticks after a backcountry adventure. Despite the cool spring temperatures, they're out there, as I discovered last night. I found this one latched inside my belly button - I'm hoping from just this past weekend and not any longer than that.
Attachments
IMG_20210505_225024.jpg
IMG_20210505_225024.jpg (146.22 KiB) Viewed 2537 times
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."
"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."
"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."
JChitwood
14ers: 58 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Re: PSA: Check for Ticks

Post by JChitwood »

Ugh I hate arachnids. Smash with hammer immediately.
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

Hate the little bastards. Good idea for a PSA. I saw several ticks at Mill Campground near Sunshine and Redcloud about 3 years ago in May. There was a fair sized herd of elk very nearby which I assumed contributed. Hoping Lyme disease doesn’t become very prevalent in the west.
ekalina
14ers: 20  1 
13ers: 44 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ekalina »

Yes, good reminder. I do a fair amount of bushwhacking in the Foothills, so ticks are often on my mind. I've encountered them in grass growing along creeks (riparian corridors), and, oddly, my buddy and I ran into about a dozen of them on the approach to the east ridge of Yale back in April 2017. That encounter was particularly disconcerting because the ground was entirely covered by snow and we were in a typical Colorado pine forest.

Fisching, what kind of area were you exploring?
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

greenonion wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:45 am Hate the little bastards. Good idea for a PSA. I saw several ticks at Mill Campground near Sunshine and Redcloud about 3 years ago in May. There was a fair sized herd of elk very nearby which I assumed contributed. Hoping Lyme disease doesn’t become very prevalent in the west.
Just for you, Steve

https://youtu.be/OctrGD4JW8U
Fisching
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 144 1
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Fisching »

ekalina wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:46 am Yes, good reminder. I do a fair amount of bushwhacking in the Foothills, so ticks are often on my mind. I've encountered them in grass growing along creeks (riparian corridors), and, oddly, my buddy and I ran into about a dozen of them on the approach to the east ridge of Yale back in April 2017. That encounter was particularly disconcerting because the ground was entirely covered by snow and we were in a typical Colorado pine forest.

Fisching, what kind of area were you exploring?
I did two separate climbs this weekend. The first being of Pt 13832 and PT 18311 on Saturday. I ascend from up the ridge East of Bent Creek, then came down (and horrendously bushwacked) through the Bent Creek basin. Sunday I did Pheonix Peak from Pheonix Park, ascending by the southwest ridge and descended essentially the same way. Both of these routes were essentially off-trail through a thicket of trees, so it's hard to say one over the other is more likely tick-infested.
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."
"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."
"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

Finally a topic where East Coast hikers can feel like having substantial expertise. Conspiracy theories about ticks here are of QAnon or LoveHasWon magnitude:
https://sites.newpaltz.edu/ticktalk/soc ... a-dumitru/
TakeMeToYourSummit
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 287 25 2
Trip Reports (8)

Post by TakeMeToYourSummit »

Fisching wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:57 am Pt 13832 and PT 18311
I've had Colorado Tick Fever before... so yeah ticks suck. That aside would you be willing to share any pics or do a CR for these 2? Definitely debating going for them in the next couple weeks. Thanks in advance!
I'm horrible with names...
But will never forget a mountain's face!
ekalina
14ers: 20  1 
13ers: 44 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ekalina »

cedica wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:05 pm Finally a topic where East Coast hikers can feel like having substantial expertise. Conspiracy theories about ticks here are of QAnon or LoveHasWon magnitude:
Huh, I hadn't heard that one before. Well, it isn't the most implausible of recent conspiracy theories :lol:

On a different note, I've heard both permethrin (on clothing) and deet (on skin, I guess) can be used to repel ticks. Has anyone tried those? How well do they work?
Ignats
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Ignats »

cedica wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:05 pm Finally a topic where East Coast hikers can feel like having substantial expertise. Conspiracy theories about ticks here are of QAnon or LoveHasWon magnitude:
Live in the next town over from Lyme CT. also Westcliffe when I can. I'm a daily hiker and find ticks in all but Jan. and Feb. In CT, some years. Have chronic lyme since 2017. It's about stopping in smart places or moving quickly in others when in tick country. Lyme disease is forever once contracted.
Salient
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Salient »

Ignats wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 2:45 pm Lyme disease is forever once contracted.
Either this is a hyperbole or just a lack of knowledge in the subject.

Regardless, lyme disease if treated lasts only 2-4 weeks.
Be the best you that you can be.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Very weird, I was just thinking about this subject...as I pulled two ticks off me this week from the local woods. Hate these things. :evil: :cussing:

Aside from not going out and wearing light clothes, anyone have any solid preventative measures that have worked for them? Certain repellants, taping cuffs, etc?