Wands

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Emily
14ers: 58  13 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (3)

Wands

Post by Emily »

This is probably a long shot, but if anyone out there has a few hundred wands (or any number of wands) they would be willing to part with, send me a message! Thanks!
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Re: Wands

Post by Wentzl »

No wands, which are homemade and cheap, in my experience. But looking at your user profile I am guessing you might be in the market for some snow pickets, of which I have several for the right $$.
pm if interested.
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
cottonmountaineering
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 178 38 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by cottonmountaineering »

bamboo stakes are like 10 bucks in the garden section, some colorful duct tape and you should be good
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

Mine is redwood with dragon heartstring and medium/heavy yielding action, made by Gregorovitch of course.

(Apologies to OP, I just couldn't restrain myself.)
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

Just guessing this might be for Denali? If so you might want to reconsider. The standard West Butt route is soooo heavily traveled, often by parties all hauling their own wands, that IMO you could probably find the route blindfolded. Consider also that if the weather is so bad that you need wands, you might want to make it a tent day and not move anyway? But of course to each his/her own, just my opinions. But for sure use a few long wands for your airstrip or other caches (plastic coated tomoato stakes in the longer lengths are good; fwiw ours were completely buried, wands and all, when we got back to the strip, heavy snow year).

And yeah, I too have a picket, lightly used, that I'd part with for free.

Good luck on your trip!

-Tom

EDIT: The picket is going to AK! Spoken for.
Last edited by TomPierce on Fri May 07, 2021 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gandalf69
14ers: 31 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Gandalf69 »

Emily wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:06 pm This is probably a long shot, but if anyone out there has a few hundred wands (or any number of wands) they would be willing to part with, send me a message! Thanks!
Go to summit, like Frisco and silverthorne. This time of year with snow melting up there the wands they put up for snow plowing are becoming useless. Having done landscaping in the mountains for 3 years now, I can assure you that no one will stop you from taking them. On the country, most home owners will be happy that you taking "care of" their lawns. Last spring we didn't pick them up from one property til almost July, and we threw them away.
"There's always the possibility that some a**hole will be offended." -Clint Eastwood, Escape from Alcatraz
"Life is cruel, why should the afterlife be any different".-Davey Jones
"The decision to triage us to death...I understand. I don't know that I would agree with it. Certainly not in retrospect because obviously I made it."-Beck Weathers, Dark side of Everest