Replacing old devices with a Smart Phone

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Re: Replacing old devices with a Smart Phone

Post by daway8 »

+1 for GAIA - I have the paid version and like the ease of adding all sorts of layers with adjustable transparency, etc. They've been adding more and more layers lately.

It's very easy to move GPX files to/from this site.

I've only played with Caltopo a little - I find it much less intuitive.

I also carry an inReach but that's basically just an expensive emergency button which doubles as a backup navigation tool if something happens to my phone or any map printout I have with me.

Screenshot_20210514-135430-901.png
Screenshot_20210514-135430-901.png (718.75 KiB) Viewed 1500 times
Screenshot_20210514-135526-888.png
Screenshot_20210514-135526-888.png (502.48 KiB) Viewed 1500 times
oldschool
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (23)

Post by oldschool »

Paper maps, know how to use a compass, and in winter I will carry a GPS as a backup. I never use a cell phone as my primary navigator device (battery dies, drop it and screen cracks). I carry my phone to take pictures. I don't have anything against using a cell phone for things....I just don't like to. I like my other choices better, especially map and compass. I also do not carry a SPOT device or other similar product.

Granted...I'm oldschool for a reason. I do have a GPS and use it most often on my motorcycle rides and dirt bike rides through the Mojave, Death Valley, and other remote areas. I use Garmin Basecamp and map out my routes and tracks.

I am also a big big fan of CalTopo.

Mike
"There's a feeling I get when I look to the West and my spirit is crying for leaving" Led Zeppelin
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

For 10 years or so I never used any tech in the mountains, even working in tech, my first cell phone ever was an iPhone 4 about 15 years, got Gaia as a nav app about 5 years ago and learned how to use it and have been blown a way at what a difference it makes, so I never really replaced anything with the smartphone, but the smartphone is the one and only tool I use for navigation in the mountains now and I’ve never been happier. I don’t worry about dropping or cracking it or battery dying, if that ever happens I’ll just figure out a way to deal with it.