Thank You North Face

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Been_Jammin
14ers: 58  1  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Thank You North Face

Post by Been_Jammin »

My favorite pants rn are The North Face. They are made from oil and gas. I will wear these pants while driving my V8 mountain assault vehicle to the trailhead. I also abide by "leave no trace" principles and I will imagine punching that person who leaves a plastic bag of dog pooh on the trail. My name is Ben... and I am a hypocrite.
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor »

Random fact - Chris Wright is a good friend to Conrad Anker and executive producer of Meru.
Bale
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bale »

Yeah ok, I get the hypocrisy, but maybe everyone except justiner forgot that EVERYTHING is made of plastic.The makers of some fleece jackets and nylon pants are the big villains ‘cause they didn’t put your name on their gear, ok. Also, learn how to pronounce “et cetera” please.
Last edited by Bale on Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The earth, like the sun, like the air, belongs to everyone - and to no one. - Edward Abbey
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

Conor wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:49 pm Random fact - Chris Wright is a good friend to Conrad Anker and executive producer of Meru.
Same Chris Wright? There's also Chris Wright, the alpinist and Piolet d'Or winner. It's not the Liberty Oilfield Services guy - I don't think.
chris_wright_alpinist.jpg
chris_wright_alpinist.jpg (114.37 KiB) Viewed 3194 times
These could be three different people. If I was Liberty Oilfield Chris Wright, and I wanted to show the hypocrisy of North Face, wouldn't it be perfect to say, "hey, I'm the guy that funded your film - essentially a commercial for your company - and this is how you treat me?"

It kinda comes off butthurt. Like the guy is worth untold millions and just because he wasn't able to get a patch sewn on some clothes, he has a personal vendetta against this company and he's taken upon himself to launch a smear campaign, even though almost no one else wants to really work with him on that, either. For less time and money, he could of bought the shirts, bought the patches, and got them sewn on himself. Maybe, just maybe he's not all that great of a guy just at a personal level. Just a thought.
Bale
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bale »

Been_Jammin wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:28 pm My favorite pants rn are The North Face. They are made from oil and gas. I will wear these pants while driving my V8 mountain assault vehicle to the trailhead. I also abide by "leave no trace" principles and I will imagine punching that person who leaves a plastic bag of dog pooh on the trail. My name is Ben... and I am a hypocrite.
It is kinda funny how we mountain climber types “LNT” as we simultaneously destroy the planet.
The earth, like the sun, like the air, belongs to everyone - and to no one. - Edward Abbey
a forest
Trip Reports (0)

Post by a forest »

Is this Chris Wright the English cricketer?
justiner
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

a forest wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:15 pm Is this Chris Wright the English cricketer?
I think you mean Chris Wright the English footballer.
John Prater
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 343 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by John Prater »

justiner wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:28 pm
Conor wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:49 pm Random fact - Chris Wright is a good friend to Conrad Anker and executive producer of Meru.
Same Chris Wright? There's also Chris Wright, the alpinist and Piolet d'Or winner. It's not the Liberty Oilfield Services guy - I don't think.
Conor has it correct. Chris Wright of Liberty from this video was the executive producer of Meru.
justiner wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:28 pm just because he wasn't able to get a patch sewn on some clothes, he has a personal vendetta against this company and he's taken upon himself to launch a smear campaign
I don't believe Liberty was involved in the clothing order that The North Face refused. Looks like that was Innovex.
justiner
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

John Prater wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:39 pm I don't believe Liberty was involved in the clothing order that The North Face refused. Looks like that was Innovex.
Ah you're right. TNF put patches before for Liberty, but not for Innovex 2 years later.
justiner
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

This guy has been at it for a while I guess - this on his company's Youtube from a few months ago,

I guess I can separate the use of oil and gas for raw materials - like clothing and building materials, and with using it for energy by simply burning it. The former still has problems - mostly with: what do we do with it after it's worn out (not to mention the environmental cost of producing the materials themselves - not just of petroleum, but of water), but the latter - unless you are a climate change denier, has serious repercussions right now for everyone.

I guess an interesting thought experiment could be this: If I were to fly to Jackson, and climb the Grand Teton using TNF gear, would the amount of oil and gas be greater for the transportation to the TH, or for the raw materials my clothes/gear are made of that I bring to do the actual climb? And perhaps remember that I can then reuse those clothes/gear for another climb - the fuel for my flight is gone.

His whole argument does rest upon the idea of, if you're OK with the former, you must be OK with the latter. And that just doesn't have to be, as it's perfectly fine to look into alternatives for energy production for things like transportation. And if that's so, it makes obvious sense to do so. Reducing our dependency on oil and gas would be a good move for everyone. (remember the first R is, "Reduce"). If a company like TNF had an alternative to shipping their products across the world that didn't use huge container ships guzzling bunker fuel, maybe they would. I'm still confused on why you would target TNF, except the personal link that this guy likes to climb and he also knows an athlete in TNF. It kinda... reeks of something to me.
wombat
Trip Reports (2)

Post by wombat »

Jackson Hole airport is a treat. You get to look up and see private jets perpetually landing and taking off - only to be greeted in the airport by "sustainability" displays and charged 10c for a brown paper bag at the town grocery stores.
ker0uac
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ker0uac »

Stop taxing income and start taxing consumption, and the environment will thank you
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion