Food Ideas

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Food Ideas

Post by peter303 »

SkaredShtles wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:37 pmBeer.
I recently read an article about concentrated beer- 6 times lighter in the pack.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... footprint/
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

E_A_Marcus_949 wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:31 am I have different breakfasts and foods for where I'm starting the day. While I'm definitely a coffee drinker, I don't like coffee before a big hike - I'll go for the 5 Hour Energy instead. Not sure what that says about me...

- If I'm driving the morning of (i.e. middle of the night), I'll have cold cereal when I wake up and either a protein bar and/or banana about an hour from the trailhead so it has time to absorb into the system or I'll heat up a breakfast burrito (scorching hot) and wrap it in tin foil before I leave - then I'll eat it about an hour to the TH. I'm also not opposed to the occasional PopTart too in the morning or during the hike. I like the carb/sugar aspect.

- If I'm driving the night before and sleeping at the TH, I've done a few things. I've hard-boiled eggs and eaten those in the morning. I've also made fried egg sandwiches the day before I leave when I'm still home: fry or cook eggs over medium/hard, cool, put on toasted bread (helps from getting soggy) with a smear of ketchup, and assemble, then wrap in tin foil and put in the cooler. I've also made these and frozen them to let them thaw overnight for the morning or midday lunch, and it's worked well.

Can't go wrong with Clif energy gels (my preferred over other brands, especially mocha or cappuccino with the caffeine boost), sunflower seeds or other trail mix, dried pineapple as a snack, bagels and PB/AB, jelly belly's are great on the descent (never know what flavor you'll grab, so it keeps your mind occupied), and my standard summit "lunch" (it's "lunch" regardless of the time) is a PB&J sandwich. Larabars and PowerCrunch are good (the latter don't freeze in cold weather).
Love the fried egg sandwich idea! Doin that next trip!
Iguru
14ers: 18 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Iguru »

peter303 wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:40 pm
SkaredShtles wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:37 pmBeer.
I recently read an article about concentrated beer- 6 times lighter in the pack.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... footprint/
Concentrated beer?
Sounds like whisky to me!
I gotta get me an Avatar.
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ltlFish99 »

I love oatmeal for breakfast, cinnamon apple, with brown sugar.
If I do not want to crank up the stove it is usually a boxed apple or cherry pie. An 8oz piece of cajun smoked salmon with Tabasco is delicious, quick and easy.
Also love pop tarts or the small hostess chocolate donunts.
I'll wash down a pop tart or donuts with a chocolate boost protein drink.
I do not drink coffee, so that saves time in the am.
On the trail, its cliff mocha gels, animal crackers, and snickers with lots of Gatorade.
I'll take a small subway Turkey sandwich for lunch.

Dinner is almost always spaghetti with spicy sun dried tomato sauce and more salmon.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

Man, for breakfast I like to get some of that hippy-ass granola from Sprouts Market and spruce it up with additional dried fruit, some whole-fat powdered milk, and hot water. That stuff is delicious... and FULL of sugar. Mmmm... sugar.

Ericds84
14ers: 39 
13ers: 33
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Ericds84 »

chicagostylehotdog wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:54 am Unfortunately, I haven't figured out how to do a good backpacking-friendly chicago style hot dog yet.
Let me know if you want to buy out the DeCaliBron miners and put a Portillo's on top of Bross...
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

Ericds84 wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:58 pm
chicagostylehotdog wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:54 am Unfortunately, I haven't figured out how to do a good backpacking-friendly chicago style hot dog yet.
Let me know if you want to buy out the DeCaliBron miners and put a Portillo's on top of Bross...
I ran into a dude grilling hot dogs on top of Torreys on July 4, 2010 (I've posted the pic before). Just sayin'....
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

I used to cook up a pack of brats and grill 'em for a bit in the buns and take that and only that on backpacking trips.

Super tasty and satisfying but holy morning sodium bloat
Make wilderness less accessible.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

My friends went backpacking in Yellowstone. You aren't allowed to camp at the hot spring, so they set up camp up and hung their food from a tree. They also hung their wet and very dirty and smelly clothes up before hiking to the hot spring.
While they were gone, a bear raided their camp. Apparently their food wasn't hung high enough (this was before bear cans became standard) and the bear got it. It also got to their clothes line.

Anyway, the bear at almost all of their food. The bear even chewed up and ate their dirty underwear and socks. The only food that wasn't eaten were the Power Bars. They were unwrapped and there were teethmarks in them, but the bear would not eat them.

Moral of the story: Power Bars taste worse than dirty socks and dirty underwear.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Paula
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 77
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Paula »

Amateurs.
Nom nom nom
Nom nom nom
FB_IMG_1625285012625.jpg (130.95 KiB) Viewed 2250 times
But seriously. Pizza. Pizza for breakfast in the car. Pizza on the summit. Pizza and beer on the way home.
justiner wrote:^^^ This person foods.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

Scott P wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:32 pmMoral of the story: Power Bars taste worse than dirty socks and dirty underwear.
Can confirm.
myfeetrock
14ers: 37  1 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by myfeetrock »

I'm not much of a breakfast guy. I'll snack on trail mix to the summit, but lunch is a go big or go home thing. I use to just make a sandwich or boiled eggs. The last time I did N. Maroon, I had fried chicken, mashed potatoes with gravy, and baked beans. I took my daughter and a friend to do Bierstadt a few years back, and I took a large super supreme pan pizza to eat on the summit. I had McDonald's on Elbert last summer. Two cheeseburgers, fries, and a green monster. I feel that I must step up my game though. Those pancakes and bacon look amazing! Pictures to come!