RE: GPS for Day Hikes

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
benmangelsdorf
14ers: 38  6 
13ers: 29 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: RE: GPS for Day Hikes

Post by benmangelsdorf »

Not to go against the grain but I use AllTrails pretty much every hike and it has never failed me. I like it a lot! I often make my own GPX files and import them into AllTrails too, although you need to do that on your computer.
ladnerkm
14ers: 58  3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ladnerkm »

Gaia and All trails both great. Neither one has failed me. It goes without saying, but obviously GPS watch (Garmin) is even more important to dupicate ascent/descent. Obviates need for spot markers. Bring solar charger for camping/overnight treks. You should always have 2 systems in case one fails (watch and phone)
yaktoleft13
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 262 22
Trip Reports (21)

Post by yaktoleft13 »

I'm a big proponent of a dedicated gps unit. I've used different iterations of the Garmin etrex series for 5 years and never had a problem (other than leaving it on top of my car once). It's particularly handy in winter, so your navigation isn't dependent on your phone's battery, which sometimes craters in the cold. The etrex can also be used easily with gloves on, which in winter is a lifesaver. Much better zoom-in ability than a watch and super easy to use button layout. Also, if it dies, just replace the batteries. No heavy charging pack to carry.

I've only used phone apps once (after said roof of car incident), and it was fine. But I prefer the standalone units.
Holypizzapie
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Holypizzapie »

Is gaia pro a strong enough help to get you through some harder routefinding 14ers? is it accurate enough to get me up the right chute on south maroon? Or should i look into a watch or handheld?
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

Holypizzapie wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:33 pm Is gaia pro a strong enough help to get you through some harder routefinding 14ers? is it accurate enough to get me up the right chute on south maroon? Or should i look into a watch or handheld?
GAIA will get you pretty darn close but I wouldn't rely on ANY gps device to get you up the right gully - there's so little spacial distance between gullies that the error potential of even the best gps might stick you in the wrong gully.

Instead, download the route description photos via the 14ers app and just use the gps as a general guide but rely on your eyes and your beta to make sure you get the right route.
Last edited by daway8 on Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skimo95
14ers: 58  11  23 
13ers: 176 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Skimo95 »

I’ve had great luck with AllTrails Pro, later on started using a Garmin Inreach in conjunction. I have hiking partners who praise Gaia and other new apps. I will add that I once took the wrong turn into upper Mohawk, was able to figure out the contours to a gulley which went to Helen/Dyer saddle. Would’ve been a bummer if I just got spooked! Lots of great information on here. Originally the Garmin was for piece of mind, but it kicks ass in all aspects. Good luck out there! (Once you start 13ers GPS becomes much more valuable). Much of my hiking/climbing is solo, and it’s nice to rely on something so accurate for route finding.
espressoself
14ers: 33  1 
13ers: 40 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by espressoself »

Holypizzapie wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:33 pm Is gaia pro a strong enough help to get you through some harder routefinding 14ers? is it accurate enough to get me up the right chute on south maroon? Or should i look into a watch or handheld?
I haven't used it on any serious route-finding challenges, and agree with suggestions to study route descriptions and carry pictures, but I've found Gaia's accuracy to be pretty incredible. I hiked Evans this last weekend, and crossed over the road on the descent at one point to avoid some puddle action, and it was able to pick that up, as well as where I returned to the west side of the road:
Screenshot 2021-08-13 094216.png
Screenshot 2021-08-13 094216.png (174.05 KiB) Viewed 2661 times
I mean, we are talking only a few feet in terms of granularity.
Holypizzapie
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Holypizzapie »

Does anyone this thread have a Garmin instinct? Does it have its own sos function or do I need to pair it with a Garmin in reach to get the sos.
nmjameswilson
14ers: 58 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nmjameswilson »

Gaia plus adding tracks from this site and or this sites users.
DArcyS
13ers: 544
Trip Reports (3)

Post by DArcyS »

12ersRule wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:25 am We just had a thread on this a few months ago. Lots of good tips in there. The suggestion I went with was use CalTopo, create a GPX, then import into
Peakbagger. Gaia definitely has upsides too, great looking maps.

Replacing old devices with a Smart Phone
I was in the same boat with my Garmin 60CSx showing wear and tear. I found a nearly new Garmin 60CSx for $150 on ebay and went with that. I don't know, are phones really superior to stand alone units for navigation in the field, or are people just so attached to their phones that they want to do everything with their phone? I get the idea battery life is an issue with phones, and I don't have that worry for a multi-day trip. Carry extra AA batteries, not too hard.

Another example of newer technology being superior to older technology, but maybe not... In cycling, you can get tubeless tires that has a sealant inside the tire that supposedly seals holes when the tire is compromised. On Saturday, I was at a bike race in the parking area where the guy parked next to me pumped up his tire when all of a sudden sealant came spraying out of tire. The sealant failed to seal the leak, so he had a flat that needed a repair. What would be a simple task with a tubed system (i.e., patch/replace the tube) turned out to be a complex problem that he couldn't solve. He ended up missing the race. As I understand it, tubeless tires don't seal well with road tires because of the higher pressure. I get how tubeless might be better for mountain bikes, but road bikes, I didn't see anything on Saturday to turn me away from tubes on my road bike.
overthe59hill
14ers: 16 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (30)

Post by overthe59hill »

I use Alltrails Pro. I've looked at Gaia, but there are too many recent, poor reviews.
"Unfortunately, the mountains had a way of dealing with overconfidence."
Laura M. Clark, in Wild Wanderer: Soloing Colorado's 200 Highest Peaks
DArcyS
13ers: 544
Trip Reports (3)

Post by DArcyS »

daway8 wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:03 pm GAIA will get you pretty darn close but I wouldn't rely on ANY gps device to get you up the right gully - there's so little spacial distance between gullies that the error potential of even the best gps might stick you in the wrong gully.
Which is why I still carry those large, heavy, and burdensome 7.5' USGS topographic maps. Another example of old technology being tossed to the curb. And it's not an issue of one or the other, as one can rely upon multiple tools to complete a project.