What is your (15-25 L) mountaineering pack of choice

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Alpinefroggy
14ers: 29  2 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (3)

What is your (15-25 L) mountaineering pack of choice

Post by Alpinefroggy »

Howdy,

As I said, I am looking for a smaller pack for summit day/shorter days in the mountains (15-25L). I would prefer it to be a versatile pack that can lug enough for a day, pack down into a backpacking backpack (preferable) and can take a rope, an alpine rack and ice and snow tools.

I own a mutant 38 but it is a little large for this purpose at the moment.
Stratosfearsome
14ers: 58  2  33 
13ers: 244 9 3
Trip Reports (10)

Re: What is your (15-25 L) mountaineering pack of choice

Post by Stratosfearsome »

Talon 22 is my vote
Nobody climbs 14ers anymore, they’re too crowded.
JChitwood
14ers: 58 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JChitwood »

Second the Osprey Talon 22. In bright green of course. Though I’m not sure how you’re going to get all those things in a 25 liter pack.
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood
JulianSmith
14ers: 57  41  13 
13ers: 52 8 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JulianSmith »

Take a look at Blue Ice too.

https://us.blueice.com/pages/backpacks#climbing

I got a skiing pack earlier this year, and I love the quality of the constructions and details they put into their gear.
cheechaco
14ers: 23 
13ers: 52
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cheechaco »

Out of my 16 packs my Mountain Hardware Direttissima (46l i think) is my favorite. It's my go to pack. Rock climbing, ice climbing, longer trail days, even technical overnighters. I usually leave the lid off, but it's nice to have if I need a little extra room. Mine is about 9 years old so I'm not sure what they replaced it with. Image
Attachments
Mountain Hardwear Direttissima 35.jpg
Mountain Hardwear Direttissima 35.jpg (76.67 KiB) Viewed 3291 times
"Until at last he smote his enemies ruin across the mountainside"
cheechaco
14ers: 23 
13ers: 52
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cheechaco »

I know you were looking for smaller but this thing compresses great. Ice tools, crampons, etc strap on easily and securely. I have an older Mutant as well, but mainly use that as a crag bag.
"Until at last he smote his enemies ruin across the mountainside"
yaktoleft13
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 262 22
Trip Reports (21)

Post by yaktoleft13 »

I use the rei flash 22 for day trips. Hard to beat the weight/price combo, and like everything rei-branded, it holds up to abuse.
WVMountaineer
14ers: 58  4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by WVMountaineer »

I know it's outside your preferred size but the REI Trail 30 does all these things for me. Mine is about 8 years old so I'll be looking to pick up a newer one soon but from my understanding they haven't changed much over the years. Very versatile for throwing gear on the outside: ice axes, crampons, avy shovel pickets, helmets, climbing gear. Lots of carabiner loops! I even put it inside my 70L backpacking pack for the Chicago basin 14ers last week and carried a rope on it for Sunlight and the Spire.

Perfect size in my opinion.
"There are two ways to measure life; the number of days you simply exist or the number of days you spend truly living your human experience." 14ers.com user goingup
Wildernessjane
14ers: 58  13  46 
13ers: 256 23 19
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Wildernessjane »

My favorite day pack for technical rock and/or ice climbing is too burly to roll up neatly in an overnight pack. I have a different pack that I use for such purposes or I just end up cinching down my overnight pack. For taking along as an extra daypack on a multi day trip, I really like the Matador Beast 28. I’ve used it for technical climbing and have carried a rope with it (best with an alpine coil) for long distances. You can also carry multiple axes/tools. By the way, it says 28L but it’s so small and compact I don’t think it’s actually that big. It folds up into its own little stuff sack. It would probably also be worth looking at Hyperlite brand.
“Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world.” -David McCullough?
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

yaktoleft13 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:15 pm I use the rei flash 22 for day trips. Hard to beat the weight/price combo, and like everything rei-branded, it holds up to abuse.
Ditto. It's a pretty solid day pack. I packed it once with UL gear as a stand-alone overnight pack; it worked, but the trip fell through fwiw. I wouldn't pack it inside another pack by itself, I'd use the Flash as a sleeping bag stuff sack instead. But as a full-on tech pack? Eh, you're probably going to carry bulkier clothing, gloves, crampons, etc if you're already humping ice tools, no? I have a beefier 32L with tool tubes, rope strap, etc. for that application (Bergans of Norway, but no longer made).

-Tom
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

Has anyone used the Ultimate Direction All Mountain? Looks spiffy, don't love the rigid back panel tho.

Their Fastpacker 20,30, and 40 look sweet too. I have an REI Flash 20 and a BD Bullet (?) that are both great for stuffing in an overnight pack, but I'd never run in either of them.
Make wilderness less accessible.
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor »

I typically hate everything black diamond that isn't a camalot, but their packs are pretty good. they no longer make my 15L day pack which has axe carry and is running vest style. But, they have blitz 20 which is similar to what I currently use and the speed 22.

But, they're made to carry a small rope and are good for day outings (or euro style huts). The 15L is all my wife carried in europe. It also tucks in just fine into my z packs pack if I am backpacking in somewhere.