What is your (15-25 L) mountaineering pack of choice

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
JaredJohnson
14ers: 28  5 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (3)

Re: What is your (15-25 L) mountaineering pack of choice

Post by JaredJohnson »

REI Flash 18 every day of the week. Cheapest and lightest and works, also a great pillow.

Runner up is REI Flash 22.

My main pack for both backpacking and summit days though is Arc'teryx Alpha FL 45, which compresses well and is as light as most 25L packs and nearly waterproof
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

Dave B wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:25 pm Has anyone used the Ultimate Direction All Mountain? Looks spiffy, don't love the rigid back panel tho.
It's not very rigid of a back. Pretty similar feeling to the Fastpacks UD puts out. Internal padding is removable too! There is two parts to it: a soft foam and a more harder plastic, so remove whatever one you'd like (or both!)
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

justiner wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:57 pm
Dave B wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:25 pm Has anyone used the Ultimate Direction All Mountain? Looks spiffy, don't love the rigid back panel tho.
It's not very rigid of a back. Pretty similar feeling to the Fastpacks UD puts out. Internal padding is removable too! There is two parts to it: a soft foam and a more harder plastic, so remove whatever one you'd like (or both!)
Nice, sounds like a sweet pack, gonna have to give 'er a shot!
Make wilderness less accessible.
timewarp01
14ers: 55  10 
13ers: 45 2
Trip Reports (5)

Post by timewarp01 »

Amen to all the Flash 22 rec's, it's the only thing I use during the summer season
cheechaco
14ers: 23 
13ers: 52
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cheechaco »

I've been trying to figure out how you guys are getting all that stuff into a sub 25 liter pack! Rope (bulky by it's self) means a harness as well? Plus an alpine rack, probably a helmet, water, lunch, rain jacket, first aid kit, ice and snow gear? Maybe I need to look at how and what I'm packing!!!! :wft:
"Until at last he smote his enemies ruin across the mountainside"
WVMountaineer
14ers: 58  4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by WVMountaineer »

cheechaco wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:41 pm I've been trying to figure out how you guys are getting all that stuff into a sub 25 liter pack! Rope (bulky by it's self) means a harness as well? Plus an alpine rack, probably a helmet, water, lunch, rain jacket, first aid kit, ice and snow gear? Maybe I need to look at how and what I'm packing!!!! :wft:
I agree with you. It seems unlikely to get the 10 essentials and climbing gear into something sub 25 with out a lot of things dangling off the outside. I'm guessing they are cutting corners by packing less water, first aid, and/or emergency gear if they need to spend the night out. Best I've been able to do is my 30L with everything listed above. Most packs have a decent way to strap a rope and helmet to the outside with gear loops so that shouldn't be a consideration for the pack volume. It looks cooler but personally I hate having a bunch of gear hanging off the outside of my pack swinging around so I opt for a bigger pack to keep more things contained inside. If you're in need of a rope, harness, shoes, and trad rack you're likely splitting the rope and rack between you and partner which helps a little.
"There are two ways to measure life; the number of days you simply exist or the number of days you spend truly living your human experience." 14ers.com user goingup
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

WVMountaineer wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:13 pm
cheechaco wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:41 pm I've been trying to figure out how you guys are getting all that stuff into a sub 25 liter pack! Rope (bulky by it's self) means a harness as well? Plus an alpine rack, probably a helmet, water, lunch, rain jacket, first aid kit, ice and snow gear? Maybe I need to look at how and what I'm packing!!!! :wft:
I agree with you. It seems unlikely to get the 10 essentials and climbing gear into something sub 25 with out a lot of things dangling off the outside. I'm guessing they are cutting corners by packing less water, first aid, and/or emergency gear if they need to spend the night out. Best I've been able to do is my 30L with everything listed above. Most packs have a decent way to strap a rope and helmet to the outside with gear loops so that shouldn't be a consideration for the pack volume. It looks cooler but personally I hate having a bunch of gear hanging off the outside of my pack swinging around so I opt for a bigger pack to keep more things contained inside. If you're in need of a rope, harness, shoes, and trad rack you're likely splitting the rope and rack between you and partner which helps a little.
That was my point above. A rope = a harness; sure you can make a Mickey Mouse one from sling material but that's an emergency trick, no one plans to do that. Ice tools = crampons, and if you're using the rope to go up, a rope also means at least a few pieces of pro. And if it's cold enough for ice tools and crampons, I assume there's also at least gloves and a hoodie involved. Never go into the alpine w/o a headlamp, you'd want at least a liter of fluid, I won't go without some decent first aid stuff. Doubt you'll break a bone hiking, but it's entirely possible when tech climbing. I use a 32L peack for tech climbs and winter hiking, it can pinch hit as an overnight bag. Could I do it with a smaller 20L pack? Eh, probably, but why? The weight savings between a smaller pack vs. a 32L pack is so nominal it's not worth the brain damage. Just my opinions.

-Tom
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

It's a little larger than you're asking but I found the mammut trion 32 excellent, as light or lighter than packs smaller than it, has axe loops and simplistic 'tight to the back' design but sturdy enough to carry enough gear, water etc for any day hike including a light winter day trip with snowshoes strapped to the back. I don't know if they still make this model but it's worth searching around for a used one or older version.

I've used some smaller packs including the Talon 22 but they all seem very small or just too wimpy to carry anything meaningful with any structure and move around too much with weak straps.

After using osprey exos 46, it was very light, light as some 20-25L packs and has good room but the straps were just too thin, it seemed flimsy and was not comfortable on my shoulders. It's a shame because I really wanted to like this pack. My other go-to pack is a 40L osprey I just forget the name of it at the moment...also smaller and lighter than most in it's class.
Wildernessjane
14ers: 58  13  46 
13ers: 256 23 19
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Wildernessjane »

TomPierce wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:27 pm
That was my point above. A rope = a harness; sure you can make a Mickey Mouse one from sling material but that's an emergency trick, no one plans to do that. Ice tools = crampons, and if you're using the rope to go up, a rope also means at least a few pieces of pro. And if it's cold enough for ice tools and crampons, I assume there's also at least gloves and a hoodie involved. Never go into the alpine w/o a headlamp, you'd want at least a liter of fluid, I won't go without some decent first aid stuff. Doubt you'll break a bone hiking, but it's entirely possible when tech climbing. I use a 32L peack for tech climbs and winter hiking, it can pinch hit as an overnight bag. Could I do it with a smaller 20L pack? Eh, probably, but why? The weight savings between a smaller pack vs. a 32L pack is so nominal it's not worth the brain damage. Just my opinions.

-Tom
I can easily pull off a 22-25L pack without skimping until you start adding in crampons (32L seems to be the sweet spot then). Rope and helmet always go on the outside of the pack. My harness is an UL alpine harness not the one I climb at the gym or crag in. I’m a pretty small person though so my clothes are small. That helps but I guarantee I probably carry more layers than most guys. Sometimes a smaller pack really helps if you are doing a route that involves a lot of tight spaces. Just sayin’.
“Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world.” -David McCullough?
JtheChemE
Trip Reports (4)

Post by JtheChemE »

Wildernessjane wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:47 pm
TomPierce wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:27 pm

-Tom
I can easily pull off a 22-25L pack without skimping until you start adding in crampons (32L seems to be the sweet spot then). Rope and helmet always go on the outside of the pack. My harness is an UL alpine harness not the one I climb at the gym or crag in. I’m a pretty small person though so my clothes are small. That helps but I guarantee I probably carry more layers than most guys. Sometimes a smaller pack really helps if you are doing a route that involves a lot of tight spaces. Just sayin’.
Jane and Tom both bring up good points.

My most used pack is a speed 22. Its pretty light, but still manages to have exterior crampon attachment, place for two tools, the ability to carry a rope and a proper brain. I've used it for easier alpine routes, glacier travel, with still enough space for layers, small med kit, 1-2L of water, and food enough for the task at hand. The exterior crampon attachment is something that worried me at first, but after heavy use of it over 5 years I have yet to have a problem with it, and now it would be hard for me to go back to storing crampons in my bag. You can also strip much of the pack away to save some additional weight. The speed 22 also is pretty comfortable to run in, given the overall utility it provides. Are there lighter or better ones? I'm sure (some at double/triple the price to shave only a few oz), but it has served me well over 5 years of heavy use and I don't feel inclined to experiment.

Like Tom, if I find myself faffing about too much to squeeze everything into the 22L I'll bump up to a 30L (again a BD speed). The 30L is actually my go to winter pack, it can carry rope, snowshoes, bivy kit, stove, layers and 3L of water no problem.
Last edited by JtheChemE on Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wildernessjane
14ers: 58  13  46 
13ers: 256 23 19
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Wildernessjane »

JtheChemE wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:21 pm My most used pack is a speed 22. Its pretty light, but still manages to have exterior crampon attachment, place for two tools, the ability to carry a rope and a proper brain. I've used it for easier alpine routes, glacier travel, with still enough space for layers, small med kit, 1-2L of water, and food enough for the task at hand. The exterior crampon attachment is something that worried me at first, but after heavy use of it over 5 years I have yet to have a problem with it, and now it would be hard for me to go back to storing crampons in my bag.
I like the sounds of that exterior crampon attachment feature. Clearly I’m in need of another new pack. ;)
“Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world.” -David McCullough?
peter
14ers: 14 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by peter »

+1 for the REI Flash 22. Bought it this summer and have been blown away by how full functioned it is, given its light weight (13oz) and low cost ($55). Takes a 3L bladder and all the normal summer day trip gear with ease. (At least for class 3 hikes; I’m not on technical routes.) Wish it came with a padded hip belt, but I actually didn’t miss it once I got going.