backpack stove ideas

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
JtheChemE
Trip Reports (4)

Re: backpack stove ideas

Post by JtheChemE »

mtree wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:32 pm
JtheChemE wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:53 pm

Stoves are ridiculously light anymore, 3oz or less for the burner add in a small canister and a Ti cup.
You realize that's likely pushing 12 oz? You know what 12 oz could be carried instead, don't you?
Some people just aren't very practical.
I'm not sure where you are getting 12oz. I'm as bare bones as it gets with what I carry in the mountains, I prefer light and fast single effort type things, and practicality is a big part of that. The idea that a stove is a 2 lb ball and chain is pretty antiquated.

As to the OPs question: If an overnight is required dehydrated meals are pretty weight efficient, and there are some better options these days. Elaborate cooking is a novelty I reserve for the occasional larger family camping trips. Generally if I am overnight I want to cook and eat as quickly as possible so as to to cover more distance, or relax longer. The setup/cleanup of actual cooking feels too much like a chore.
painless4u2
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (8)

Post by painless4u2 »

I have used the Snow Peak Giga Power stove, titanium Trek 700 pot, and titanium spork for years, all weighing 9 oz. That said, I recently hiked to Como Lake and only carried ready to eat foods, no stove. For coffee, I slurped a couple of Clif Shot Double Espresso Gels. Not as satisfying as a nice hot cup of joe, but it works for the addiction. Starting to think this is the way to go.
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

mtree wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:32 pm You realize that's likely pushing 12 oz? You know what 12 oz could be carried instead, don't you?
Oh, I'm gonna be carrying that too. :mrgreen:
jglimp
14ers: 27  1 
13ers: 46 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jglimp »

I stick with “add water” foods too. Never had a problem with burning.

Mac n cheese with powdered milk, Zatarans, dehydrated refried beans for burritos, and oatmeal are things I go back to... especially Zatarans. Yum.

As for weight… washing the pot feels like more of a trade-off than weight when deciding if I want hot food! Not sure what that says about me as a person 😂
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

JtheChemE wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:49 pm

Stoves are ridiculously light anymore, 3oz or less for the burner add in a small canister and a Ti cup.
You realize that's likely pushing 12 oz? You know what 12 oz could be carried instead, don't you?
I'm not sure where you are getting 12oz. I'm as bare bones as it gets with what I carry in the mountains, I prefer light and fast single effort type things, and practicality is a big part of that. The idea that a stove is a 2 lb ball and chain is pretty antiquated.
You smoke too much weed. My stove weighs about 3 oz. The small fuel cannister is twice the weight so must be around 6 oz. Add a titanium pot and a plastic cup and that's got to be another couple ounces. Do the math and its pushing 12 overall. That's a fine can of Dead Guy Maibock you could be carrying instead!
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
719BR
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 719BR »

mtree wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:38 pm

And there's that.
I haven't carried a stove in years. Freedom!!!!
because everyone has to do it YOUR way, even if they don't want to.
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

brichardsson wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:12 am

because everyone has to do it YOUR way, even if they don't want to.
I offer solutions. Not problems. I can't help it if my solutions come with added benefits.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
719BR
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 719BR »

peterkfes wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:16 pm I'm curious about how others are managing the height of the pan off their jet-type camp stoves. Next month will be my first overnight where I'm planning on cooking while camping (South Colony Lake). I notice that this type of stove is designed for heating liquid quickly. I've been practicing solid food cooking by making grilled cheese and fried eggs in the frying pan. The center heated immediately and burned the food even at the lowest flame setting. I found a tripod on line with a cooking grate but the adjustable legs don't offer much more clearance than I presently have. It seems to be built to offer stability for the pan at the same height from the flame. I could dig the fuel canister into the ground to get more clearance but feel there's something I'm missing.
I built a couple of risers to lift the pan off the flame and wonder how others create the distance to better control the cooking. At the moment I have two, one inch risers constructed; one from a 3/4 inch aluminum angle iron that I've cut and formed into a triangle with notches to sit firmly on the three burner arms. For the other I bought an inexpensive four inch diameter metal camp cup and cut the bottom off it to form a nice ring. With both of these, a total of two inches, I'm succeeding with solid food but still at a very low setting. What solutions have others among this group come up with?
check this out (disclaimer: not my site)

https://adventuresinstoving.blogspot.com/

the guy is a bit of a cooking nut and tries out all different kinds of fuels, stoves, setups, etc.

looks like it hasn't been updated in a bit, but a wealth of general information
Dakota
14ers: 25 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Dakota »

You could look at the MSR Pocket Rocket Deluxe that can be turned down to a simmer and is a nice stove to get on sale. Also, though heavy, the Trangia 27 alcohol stove kit is nice to cook on and comes with a simmer ring. You don't need the full kit though, they have different stands you can buy.
If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.
-Albert Einstein
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

I'm not sure I'd invest in an alchohol stove anymore - they're being allowed in less and less places these days. Looks like everyone will have to move to canister. I've seen how easy it is to start a ground/root fire that slowly smolders for days before perhaps becoming something bigger.
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

justiner wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:49 am I'm not sure I'd invest in an alchohol stove anymore - they're being allowed in less and less places these days. Looks like everyone will have to move to canister. I've seen how easy it is to start a ground/root fire that slowly smolders for days before perhaps becoming something bigger.
Esbit! 13g stove weight! But for sure a niche group uses Esbit. No moving parts, no liquid. I've never noticed any odd smells but some apparently have more finely tuned olfactory skills than I. I'm too green to use a canister stove.

-Tom
jscully205
14ers: 58  12  39 
13ers: 116 13 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jscully205 »

Some helpful advice that I see not mentioned: Canister style stoves aren't really the best choice for cooking. Although some like the pocket rocket have an adjustable dial, you're better off with a tried and true white gas stove like a Whisperlite or DragonFly if you insist on cooking. You'll get much more even flame distribution and control. Downsides are they not the lightest, a little bulky, and need occasional maintenance, but they are great stoves to just have in your quiver for their general versatility and the ease of finding fuel in some international locations is nice.

For simply boiling water, nothing has knocked off the MSR Reactor from it's perch from being the best stove at that application.