Running with key fobs

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Running with key fobs

Post by mtree »

I've gotten used to just carrying it. I have other keys as well and keep on a carabiner so its easy to just put my fingers through the loop and hold the keys so they don't jingle and bounce. Many times I'm carrying my phone in my other hand anyway so its just part of my rig now. I don't run for more than an hour so its not such a big deal. Adaptation is a good thing.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

Sounds like someone's gonna get a fanny pack!

NTTAWWT.

:mrgreen:
Cide
14ers: 54  5 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Cide »

I run in VRST shorts, sold at Dicks. Pocket is in the lateral r-side and back just a bit. no bounce. no worries.
"Salients in the Void"
Permitting the CO 14ers, A Slow March to a Sad Future.
curt86iroc
14ers: 14 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by curt86iroc »

all of my running shorts have small pockets where my key fob goes.
mtn_hound
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtn_hound »

Dave B wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:29 am I don't like hiding a key on the car, that's how the car my buddy and I spent $3k to ship to Hawaii got stolen...

I'll usually go in several hundred yards on the trail and hide the key somewhere that's hard to find but easy to remember.
I usually hide it within 100 yards of the car in an area where people wouldn't have any reason to go (away from the trail, campsites, picnic tables, etc.) If there aren't any good hiding spots, I'll take the distributor wire with me and hide they key on the car somewhere. Can't steal a car that won't start...
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

You can run with your keys in your mouth, but you might get lockjaw
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

cougar wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:20 pm You can run with your keys in your mouth, but you might get lockjaw
DAD!
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

cougar wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:20 pm You can run with your keys in your mouth, but you might get lockjaw
druid2112
14ers: 46  6 
13ers: 32 5
Trip Reports (7)

Post by druid2112 »

Hide it near the car, like you should be doing before heading up a trail. duh
"You can't really dust for vomit." - Nigel Tufnel
rperth
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rperth »

Figure it out. Good lord.
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

rperth wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:05 pm Figure it out. Good lord.
Agreed. Some of the questions and "polls" on this site are mind numbing.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
curt86iroc
14ers: 14 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by curt86iroc »

mtn_hound wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:26 pm
Dave B wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:29 am I don't like hiding a key on the car, that's how the car my buddy and I spent $3k to ship to Hawaii got stolen...

I'll usually go in several hundred yards on the trail and hide the key somewhere that's hard to find but easy to remember.
I usually hide it within 100 yards of the car in an area where people wouldn't have any reason to go (away from the trail, campsites, picnic tables, etc.) If there aren't any good hiding spots, I'll take the distributor wire with me and hide they key on the car somewhere. Can't steal a car that won't start...
can you explain why this is your preferred solution over just carrying your keys??? i get if you're doing a shuttle hike/run or something with a buddy and they may beat you down, but on a normal run/hike??? i don't get it...
Last edited by curt86iroc on Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.