Big Toenail Separation and Hiking Question

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Gene913
14ers: 58 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (7)

Re: Big Toenail Separation and Hiking Question

Post by Gene913 »

peter303 wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:17 amSign of a Mountain Man.

+1

Also the Sign of a Mountain Woman! As Roach says, surfer girl does not live in the mountains!
"If you have faith like a grain of mustard seed, and you say to this mountain, 'move from here to there,' it will move, and nothing will be impossible for you." Matthew 17:21
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

toenails are such useless things. maybe there was a time when they served some protective purpose, but shoes/boots have made them obsolete. after losing a few toenails, i've discovered how much more painless stubbing a toe on a rock can be when the toenail effect is eliminated. i'm currently dealing with two partially detached big toenails, and a couple smaller ones that have blood blisters beneath them. at least they only bother me when i inevitably kick a rock or root.
i deal with them as long as i can, and then visit the podiatrist to trim them back as far as possible right before a big trip or race. i'm getting used to that yearly ritual now. i suppose at some point i'll break down and buy my own medical-grade nail clippers to do it myself, but for now i'm swallowing the $25 yearly copay and letting a pro do it for me.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
JaredJohnson
14ers: 28  5 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (3)

Post by JaredJohnson »

timisimaginary wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:20 pm i'm getting used to that yearly ritual now
According to my doctor, permanent removal is a viable option. He recommended against it for me as I only lose one every few years and the procedure is painful. Sounds like this would be worth it for you though
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

JaredJohnson wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:23 am
timisimaginary wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:20 pm i'm getting used to that yearly ritual now
According to my doctor, permanent removal is a viable option. He recommended against it for me as I only lose one every few years and the procedure is painful. Sounds like this would be worth it for you though
i've considered it. my doctor recommended against it too, but i believe if it falls off on its own, there may be something you can put on there to prevent it from regrowing. i may look into it the next time one comes off completely.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

Oh my! An injury I used to get EVERY season. Boy o boy do I know about these.

It will fall off eventually or it won't. The question is when? Sometimes a week and sometimes a month. Sometimes NEVER! I would cut the nail back so as not to snag on anything and keep it covered in a bandage or band aid. Sometimes the black will just grow out with the rest of the toe. If its all the way back to the root it takes a solid YEAR. Yeah. You'll have a nasty looking toe for quite a while. Otherwise, carry on as usual. Nothing to see here.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
ECF55
14ers: 7 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (7)

Post by ECF55 »

It eventually falls out. It is incredibly frustrating during the final partially detached phase. I wore socks all the time near the end (to prevent snagging) and it was not awesome.

But, boy oh boy, when that sucker eventually falls out, it's one of the greatest feelings of relief ever. So good.