Big Toenail Separation and Hiking Question

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
IHikeLikeAGirl
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 329
Trip Reports (6)

Big Toenail Separation and Hiking Question

Post by IHikeLikeAGirl »

(I know this was somewhat covered in a ski boot question, but not exactly.)

Got a blackened toenail after a 4 day backpacking trip in April and it has recently started separating from the nail bed, in earnest.

It's my right big toe. Upper 2/3rds, on the left have separated. Still attached, on the right side and at the bottom. So, kind of attached in a reverse 'L'. It doesn't hurt, unless I press on it or when it hits the front of my boot going descending a steep downhill. If I wear SUPER thick cushy socks, it feels ok when hitting the front of my boot.

I have several long day hikes and backpacking trips (with steep descents) planned between now and mid Oct. Do I just keep it trim (as I normally would if it were attached) and tape it down before a hike? Or should I try to remove as much of the separated part as possible and tape gauze over it?

I worry it will pull off in the middle of a trip. E.g. My last 2 hikes "appear" to have caused it to separate a bit more (and no, I had not taped it down yet as it was attached enough before my last hike).

Could anyone else who has had this tell me what worked best for you to keep hiking?

Thanks,
Valerie
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time."
- Steven Wright
Gene913
14ers: 58 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (7)

Re: Big Toenail Separation and Hiking Question

Post by Gene913 »

Have lost the nail on my big toe on both feet, multiple times over the years.
The separation is caused by the new nail bed pushing off the old one.
I've had good results "encouraging" the process along by soaking my feet and then the old nail can be easily and gently removed.
Have hiked and climbed without putting gauze or other protection over the emerging nail; just give it time and let it grow.
"If you have faith like a grain of mustard seed, and you say to this mountain, 'move from here to there,' it will move, and nothing will be impossible for you." Matthew 17:21
JaredJohnson
14ers: 28  5 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (3)

Post by JaredJohnson »

It'll probably come off soon and when it comes off it probably won't hurt or be especially tender on the new nail bed, it should already be formed enough to be good to go. Once I had one that was painful and swollen just after the trip and my doc took a cauterizing gun and burned a small hole right in the middle allowing some blood to drain out and then it was good. My kids have had painful removals before but only from ingrown and infected nails that hadn't already died on their own
bigredmachine
13ers: 34
Trip Reports (1)

Post by bigredmachine »

So, I just dealt with a similar situation. It was because I dropped a stool on my foot, but in any of that my nail died out from right to left. I continually trimmed the nail that was not attached using one of those funky ladies fingernail clipper thingies. This worked well eventually as the old nail started to work its way up,The rest of the nail became unattached. It took a few months to get the whole thing off, but ultimately there was no serious pain involved. When I finally got the last bit of the nail off, it was like hitting the lottery
IHikeLikeAGirl
Trip Reports (6)

Post by IHikeLikeAGirl »

Thank you for the responses. I was thinking the nail bed under the detached part would be too tender, if I removed the nail, to put in a boot. Alas, you all are right, it seems to have toughened up a bit.

And I do own one of those, "funky ladies fingernail clipper thingies". :-D
- Steven Wright
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Post by madbuck »

JaredJohnson wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:22 pm Once I had one that was painful and swollen just after the trip and my doc took a cauterizing gun and burned a small hole right in the middle allowing some blood to drain out and then it was good.
I've lose a few big toenails from runs. Although tolerable, the pressure from the blood blister below has always been worse IMHO than having no nail It usually takes days or a few weeks to fall off, but the exposed nailbed ends up being thick enough.
A home trick is to use a safety pin and heat it up. (Actually a paper clip can work because you're burning/"melting" through the nail). Also, gently pulling the nail a bit each day and clipping excess, until you can "reach" the edge of the blood blister. Then, sweet sweet relief! Of course, be most careful about infection prevention.
IHikeLikeAGirl
Trip Reports (6)

Post by IHikeLikeAGirl »

Good advice on the under nail blood blister.

Fortunately, I did/do not have that.
- Steven Wright
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Post by madbuck »

IHikeLikeAGirl wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:50 am Good advice on the under nail blood blister.

Fortunately, I did/do not have that.
Ahh, I missed the timeline (April). If it's black/blue underneath you can often get that out in the first days, surprisingly it doesn't dry/coagulte even for days but eventually it will.

I would then clip whatever you can, so that a chunk of it doesn't get caught on a sock or something and rip part of the new nail painfully/unexpectedly
Good luck!
Above_Treeline
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Above_Treeline »

I'd think if it's separated it's coming off. I'm surprised it's lasted this long actually. Lost several playing basketball with too-long toenail, haven't had real trouble yet?
I support reintroducing grizzlies and wolves to their historic ranges.
IHikeLikeAGirl
Trip Reports (6)

Post by IHikeLikeAGirl »

This made me cringe just thinking about it!
madbuck wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:11 am I would then clip whatever you can, so that a chunk of it doesn't get caught on a sock or something and rip part of the new nail painfully/unexpectedly

Everyone seems to be spot on.

The nail started coming off in earnest this morning, was able to remove most of it (sans pain).
As for the exposed nail bed...again, you all were correct, it is tough and I don't think it will be a problem hiking.
BUT...you all failed to warn me about how disgusting it would look. :wink:

No sandals for me until 2022!
- Steven Wright
nyker
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

This happened to me three times each time after a long descent (6500-8000ft vert down in one go) - once it came off pretty quickly, the other two times it lingered for months, turning colors and causing some pain upon any movement. What worked for me was first clipping the now dead nail to be even or shorter than my toe (minimizing the bang on the front of the shoe), then wrapping a bandaid around it and re-applying a fresh (tight) one after a hike to keep it from sliding around which would bring about pain. It eventually came off with a little encouragement and then clipping the remaining attached part. It took another 6 months for one to actually grow back.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Its happened to me countless times. But takes two months to fall off when there is half grown replacement. Sign of a Mountain Man.

Good sock system and well fitted boots minimizes occurrence.