Poor Elevation Gain Accuracy - Garmin Instinct

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Re: Poor Elevation Gain Accuracy - Garmin Instinct

Post by Jon Frohlich »

justiner wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:06 pm These are hard questions to answer without looking at the track. Perhaps one of the issues with a watch is that, to save battery life, the recording intervals between each point is a minute - or even 5 minutes, rather than every few seconds.
I am not sure about all watches but on the 'Smart' setting (the default) my Garmin Vivoactive 3 usually logs a point every 2-10 seconds depending on movement. You can also set it to log a point every second although I'm sure the impact on battery life is significant. The Garmin Instinct should be the same.

Accuracy on the 'Smart' setting is plenty good enough for any realistic use.

Strava and Garmin Connect use the barometric data in the GPX file while if you import in Caltopo it will calculate based on the track points instead.
bdloftin77
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 58
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Poor Elevation Gain Accuracy - Garmin Instinct

Post by bdloftin77 »

Jon Frohlich wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:07 pm
justiner wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:06 pm These are hard questions to answer without looking at the track. Perhaps one of the issues with a watch is that, to save battery life, the recording intervals between each point is a minute - or even 5 minutes, rather than every few seconds.
I am not sure about all watches but on the 'Smart' setting (the default) my Garmin Vivoactive 3 usually logs a point every 2-10 seconds depending on movement. You can also set it to log a point every second although I'm sure the impact on battery life is significant. The Garmin Instinct should be the same.

Accuracy on the 'Smart' setting is plenty good enough for any realistic use.

Strava and Garmin Connect use the barometric data in the GPX file while if you import in Caltopo it will calculate based on the track points instead.
Here's some more details on Strava's elevation calculations:
https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/art ... r-Activity

And for Garmin:
https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=d ... Y3eam1ZWxA