Do I need winter equipment in early October?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
tdaniel9
14ers: 38 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (1)

Do I need winter equipment in early October?

Post by tdaniel9 »

I have climbed 14ers in mid-June and early August the past two seasons, but I have never been to Colorado in the fall. I am planning on doing a couple of Sangre 14ers (Blanca/Ellingwood and Challenger/Kit Carson assuming there is not substantial snow on the avenue at that point), as well as a couple of Sawatch 14ers on October 1st-8th. My question is about equipment: I got microspikes and gaiters for my June hikes last summer in the Sawatch and San Juans, but never had to break them out and I have never purchased an ice ax or crampons. Do I need to go ahead and buy any of these things before my trip even if I'm not sure I'll need them? Previous trip reports seem to indicate that real winter conditions don't seem to hit until about two weeks after my trip ends, but I know this is probably pretty variable as well. Just want to make sure I have the necessary equipment before I head out. Thanks!
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Re: Do I need winter equipment in early October?

Post by Wentzl »

If you are interested in climbing mountains in winter conditions, yes, you need to buy all that.

If you are interested in hiking some late season peaks and enjoying fall colors in summer conditions, you need to buy a weather radio and stay tuned.

If you want advice on plowing ahead into fierce conditions without experience while toting a whole pile of new gear you don't know how to use, well, this is as good as any a venue. Looking forward to other sage advice to follow.
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

There generally wont be enough snow, or the right kind of snow, for crampons and ice axe to be useful in october
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
markf
14ers: 56  2  9 
13ers: 21 1 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by markf »

Plan on sub freezing overnight temperatures, but I seriously doubt that there will be enough snow to warrant any more specialized equipment than the microspikes you already have. Do keep an eye on the weather forecast, early season snowstorms will be a possibility.
mark
Aphelion
14ers: 58  17 
13ers: 48
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Aphelion »

You likely won't need any of that, aside from cold-weather clothing. But I'd also point out that if you do want to do stuff in real winter/spring, gear is not a magic talisman. Do you know the function/s of an ice axe, and what conditions/situations it would be useful/necessary for?
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

Agree with the other posters. Late Sept - early Oct is a beautiful time to be in the alpine: blue skies, colors changing, little risk of thunderstorms. My fall kit isn't very different from my summer one. I usually bring a fleece in addition to the synthetic base layer, wool mid weight pull over, shell layer, and down puffy which almost never gets removed from its storage place in my backpack. It's very rare I use all of those layers. Maybe when I'm sitting on the summit, but not while moving. Micro spikes are sufficient traction.

Unsolicited rant incoming:

Knowing how to use gear is just as important as having it. If you wear too much you can get soaked with sweat, then die from hypothermia as it freezes after you stop for the night. Experiment with different options for layering. You want to be a bit chilly when standing still, comfortable but not sweating profusely when moving, and have a couple extra layers for when you gave to stop for extended periods. If you don't know how to use an ice axe and crampons don't try alone, you'll be more likely to impale yourself. Micro spikes, gaiters, 3 pairs of mid weight wool socks is plenty for early fall.

Take a couple of classes on winter gear usage and survival, or go with someone who knows their s**t and is willing to talk you through some stuff, before you charge up a 14er in Jan/Feb.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

So, October can see a decent amount of snow or can be almost dry and can be quite cold at times. The Sangres on average will probably have a lower chance of seeing snow than further north but anything can happen.

If there is light packed snow or some ice, microspikes can help on routes where consequences of slipping/falling are less severe, otherwise, I prefer a normal crampon. With that said, early season snow may not consolidate sufficiently to warrant crampons and can just be a pain if partially melted/iced over on talus and work best on hard crusts or trails/routes of firm snow or ice.

Similarly an axe may not be warranted in early season snow where much of the terrain might be mixed rocks popping up with powdery drifts, but if there is a chute you cross over with accumulated snow funneled into it which has gone over melt cycles you might want that axe in those spots. To the points made above on use, make sure you practice using these tools before packing them.

The attached pic is from a trip up Elbert one Columbus Day weekend. I had crampons but they were of limited use since the snow was deep on the route and was not consolidated, but poles, gaiters and on the steeper parts, an axe were helpful in navigating the deeper pockets of snow away from the areas that were blown almost dry.
Attachments
xs_DSC_0885-16x.jpg
xs_DSC_0885-16x.jpg (112.99 KiB) Viewed 1216 times
tdaniel9
14ers: 38 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by tdaniel9 »

Much appreciated. I'll be sure to have the right clothing and spikes. And if theres enough snow to warrant winter gear I'll go elsewhere.