Gear acquisition syndrome

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
BearHamr
14ers: 43 
Trip Reports (3)

Gear acquisition syndrome

Post by BearHamr »

Does anyone else suffer from this? I guess Photographers and musicians suffer from it. I can only guess outdoor enthusiast suffer from it as well. I’m at point in my life where I want to downsize my gear but get anxious at the thought of it and find myself acquiring more. WTF? It’s a vicious cycle.
How many backpacks does a guy really need right?
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Re: Gear acquisition syndrome

Post by Jon Frohlich »

BearHamr wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:49 am How many backpacks does a guy really need right?
Without going to look in the other room I believe my current answer is 7.
Alpine Guy
14ers: 40 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Alpine Guy »

Just two overnight packs (one for multi-day trips, one for 1-2 night outings). Two daypacks. And three hydration packs. A couple of fanny packs I've never really liked to use.
Roll No Rocks
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

Can’t have too many portable wag bags… and guitars!
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

Make wilderness less accessible.
cheechaco
14ers: 23 
13ers: 52
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cheechaco »

BearHamr wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:49 am
How many backpacks does a guy really need right?
12. One crag pack. One multi pitch pack. Avy pack. Ski resort pack. EDC/Bugout pack. Winter backpacking pack. Summer backpacking pack. Minimalist day pack. Normal day pack. Camelback for mtb. Festival/around town pack. My carry-on is a backpack. I might be forgetting one or two. I'm not allowed to buy any more packs.
"Until at last he smote his enemies ruin across the mountainside"
Barnold41
14ers: 15 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Barnold41 »

BearHamr wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:49 am How many backpacks does a guy really need right?
At least 5.

I downsized a ton when I moved a few months ago, but that did not include my collection of packs and outdoor gear. If I'll use it at least once every year, it's worth keeping.
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ltlFish99 »

Of the 4 i have, 2 were small daypacks purchased because I realized as I approached my destination that I had left mine at home.
I did not learn from doing that once, so I did it again late last summer.
Now I absolutely make sure I have all of my gear before I leave.
Alpinefroggy
14ers: 29  2 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Alpinefroggy »

Oh boy I definitely felt this from a combined first 'real' influx of disposable income and an incredibly lean lifestyle otherwise.

So in the past year I have acquired 2 overnight packs, 2 sizes of running vests, 2 sets of hiking poles (one broke), Mountaineering stuff (Crampons, Ice axes, packs, boots), And lotttts of rock hardware (All the basics, 70m rope, double rack, millions of draws etc.). And plenty of clothes. Oh and doing lots of formalized learning.

Granted all of it has actually been used in different contexts, it still has been a problem I suffer from. I have slowed down now though and I have no reason to get anything new. I have it all. It is now all about playing with it.
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

I must be doing something wrong. I have one backpack and that's it. It's the same backpack whether I'm going on a 6-day backpacking Adventure, hike in full-blown winter conditions above tree line, or a 5-mile jaunt as a Day hike. If the outing is really short, less than two miles, I might just take a bottle of water and throw a couple of candy bars in my jacket pocket and call it good.

I have two sleeping bags. One that's rated for -10 but over the years it has lost some padding so I wouldn't trust it past 20 without several additional clothing layers. I can sleep pretty comfortably in it with it unzipped and me wearing minimal clothes up to about 50 degrees though. And then I have a sleeping bag that's rated to -60 degrees. Haven't got to use that one too much but it was too good a sale to pass up when I saw it used online. :/

I do have a small variety of different types of layers for different occasions. Wool base layer, wind and water outer shell, and then a variety of insulating layers. The heavy-duty down parka and bibs are only for winter mountaineering though. I try to keep a pretty minimalist lifestyle, including gear purchases.
Tim A
14ers: 28  3 
13ers: 51 1
Trip Reports (18)

Post by Tim A »

As long as you stay firmly rooted in just outdoor gear you should be ok. My wife used to balk when I would do something like add the Nepal Evo’s to my inventory after already owning the Trangos and Spantiks (for an early June rainier trip that never materialized). Now I’ve gotten into photography and miss the days when a $600 boot purchase was debated and sweated over as I regularly scroll through lenses costing $1200-$1800 a piece. Five lenses in with focal lengths from 12mm - 300mm covered and one would think that I’ve got everything I need, but nope.
coopereitel
14ers: 58  4  1 
13ers: 45 7 4
Trip Reports (2)

Post by coopereitel »

I've got 7 myself.

2 backpacking packs, 3 day trip packs, 2 quick and speedy packs.

What about shoes/boots?

I'd say in that department I have at least 6 pairs.

Skis???

5 pairs :)