Gear acquisition syndrome

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
k_fergie
14ers: 58  2  1 
13ers: 160 34 6
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Gear acquisition syndrome

Post by k_fergie »

coopereitel wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:26 pm ....
Skis???

5 pairs :)
I think I've got you beat in that department. 9 boards total, 7 of them splitboards. After downsizing last season. But I don't consider it a problem, just a hobby, so it really doesn't count :lol:
I thought, I taught, I wrought
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

BearHamr wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:49 am How many __________ does a guy really need right?
(N - 1) is always the correct answer, where N is the number that would result in immediate divorce.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

I could use a separate room for mountaineering/hiking gear and fishing gear 8-[
PJ88
14ers: 34 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PJ88 »

I have four:

Backpacking pack
Two larger daypacks
One minimalist pack

I feel your pain though. I spent the past two years since I started climbing accumulating gear so that I don't miss out on an opportunity because of lack of gear. I think I am in a place where I don't need anything but will constantly evaluate what would help and what doesn't. Just need more time, money, and partners to get out more.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

I have more gear than a small REI (really). I try not to buy as much anymore, but a lot of it gets used.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
BearHamr
14ers: 43 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by BearHamr »

Outstanding feedback. Glad I am not alone. The first step is admitting I have a problem. LOL.
I too have a small REI store at my house. I’m blaming technology; lighter, warmer, more comfortable equipment makes for a happier adventurer. I sure would like to try the Gregory Citro daypack and the MSR Advance Pro 2 tent. Sheesh, enough already. I must stop.
Cheers!
Wildernessjane
14ers: 58  13  46 
13ers: 256 23 19
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Wildernessjane »

I’m a total gear addict but live in a teeny tiny house (fortunately we have an enormous garage, but I digress) so any time I buy something new it has to fill a certain niche. If I’m upgrading then I donate, consign or give away whatever it’s replacing or something I haven’t used in more than a year. But agreed, I’m not sure how anyone could possibly get by with only one backpack. I would never in a million years use my winter overnight pack, which is enormous to accommodate a -20 sleeping bag, for a summer overnight trip or for climbing or skiing. I have two overnight packs and four daypacks (peak-bagging/climbing, spring skiing, winter and packable). I’ll never admit how many puffy jackets I have in my possession though.
“Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world.” -David McCullough?
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

As an outdoor magazine writer/tester who gets some pretty nice slush funds for gear from time to time, my stash of great for various endeavors is embarrassing at times.

Before my last overseas assignment I sold everything I could. Had it all set up in the basement like a store for Craigslist. One guy came over and was like, what'd you do, knock off an rei?

Everything I couldn't sell I donated to a youth organization. They got a metric ton of gear.
JChitwood
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JChitwood »

I’ve dreaded a thread such as this. I live in a large house with a 4 car garage and gear is busting out everywhere. Packs? I have no idea must have 15-20 including two I’ve never used. I don’t know if it’s nostalgia or what but I can’t part with packs I have every one I’ve ever owned. Sometimes I pull them out and reminisce about hikes 30 years ago. I have my first pack a purple Mountainsmith butt pack with dual water bottle add-ons that I used to climb my first two 14ers in the mid-90’s.

So much other gear I have no reason for keeping. Three kayaks and four paddles and racks of river gear even though I stopped kayaking four years ago. Bags of Nordic skis and poles from my racing days which ended in 2005. Six bicycles and ordered a new one today. Tubs of backpacking gear even though I haven’t backpacked since 2014 when I finished the 14ers. Guess I need to make sure that stuff is still useful if I’m ever going to finish the Centennials. At least five pairs of resort skis and I buy a new pair every other year hate to be behind the tech curve. Tons of snow climbing gear even though I rarely need more than micro spikes. A new Grivel ice axe that has never poked snow but is a beautiful yellow. They now make them in neon green and purple. Must resist. New crampons that have never seen the bottom of a boot. Five pairs of trekking poles and still I managed to forget them this week many thanks to the wineguy for loaning me a pole for the slick spots on Wheeler Peak.

As bad as all this is by far my worst GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) is shoes and boots. La Sportiva Nepals not used for years. A pair of climbing shoes for when I was going to join a gym and actually learn how to tie in on a rope. Still need to do that. Four pairs of approach shoes one never out of the box. Who needs approach shoes when you never rock climb? Though to be fair I do lots of training hikes in them I think I read on here low cut shoes help ankle strength. Several trail runners for someone who never runs. Lots of hiking boots too many to remember though I do recall my new Topo Trailventures (orange!) and Scarpa Zodiacs (also orange!). For some reason I’ve been buying Merrell hiking shoes like crazy probably their fun colors this year. My wife is getting a bit tired of so many shoes stacked in the garage so I kind of promised I wouldn’t buy any more. But then I got a 20% off coupon and saw the new Moab Flights in tangerine and had to have them. I was panicking a bit when they were scheduled to arrive on Tuesday when I was in New Mexico for Wheeler. Fortunately they didn’t arrive until today and I safely stacked them unnoticed in the garage. Surely they will be the last pair I purchase. This year.

This thread has inspired me to downsize. Any stuff rarely or never used I’ll attempt to sell and older items with little value I’ll give away. Not sure when I’ll start such a major project. Maybe soon.
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood
JChitwood
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JChitwood »

Geez I forgot about what my wife really hates my dozens of orange and green jackets. I really did have to stop with the jackets they completely fill the closet in one guest bedroom. And sleeping bags. I have eight including a -15 Mountain Hardware. Ha! I’m the most fair weather hiker you’ll ever see no way I’m ever camping below 50 degrees. I’ve got to quit going to REI.
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood
r_grizz
14ers: 43  11  5 
13ers: 14 5 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by r_grizz »

I'm sure I'm "guilty" of this topic...however, I've come across "Under-buyers" as well. What I mean, is that I've linked up with plenty of climbing partners who've prepared by way of the Walmart Bargain-Bin, for one reason or another, and then had their gear fail in the field, leaving the rest of the climbing party responsible for their safety.
I'd rather feel "guilty" for spending too much money on excellent gear than I would for putting other lives in danger because Dick's Sporting Goods was having a Blowout!
Ha, s**t, I could still point out specific people in this "14ers Community" who claim to love "snow and ice climbing," but won't buy a basic Beacon/Shovel/Probe Kit....probably f***ing anti-vaxxers, too!!!
quinnwolf
14ers: 58  3  2 
13ers: 55 1 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by quinnwolf »

You all have problems. I'll chime in with a different perspective.
I have one backpack that I use for short day hikes, long, day hikes, summer backpacking, inbounds skiing, and backcountry skiing (and sometimes even as a carry-on for a weekend trip or work trip). The key is versatility. (Hone your body and your skills to be able to make up for any gear-related differences. Isn't that part of the point of doing difficult things anyway?) So, what is the most demanding-of-a-backpack activity on that list? Backcountry skiing. So I bought a backpack for backcountry skiing, saw that it's many straps could also hold a tent, sleeping bag, pad, and bear can too, and I was set for all my adventures.
I also only have one pair of boots (yes summer and winter hiking in the same pair of boots (just change the socks) (and I still wear microspikes or crampons with them), one sleeping bag (15 degree), one lightweight summer sweater, one heavy/warm ski jacket, and (wait for it) one pair of skis (GASP) (actually that's only because I broke my other pair). I have two pairs of hiking pants only because one of them has a hole in it.
My "versatility" argument ran out in two places: 1. skis (I will never argue with having too many skis, if you have 11 pairs of skis, you are my hero); and 2. helmets. I was using my ski helmet in the summer, and I realized that it just wasn't quite versatile enough for summer (it was too heavy and too warm), so I got a mountaineering helmet.
Granted, I don't do any winter backpacking, nor roped rock climbing. (edit: I also don't do any trail running)
I do have FOUR nalgenes. Maybe that is a little extravagant? I don't think I have ever used more than three at a time.
But I guess if everybody was like me, REI would be out of business, and we definitely can't have that.
Last edited by quinnwolf on Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.