layering pants for cold weather

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
DestroyMySweater
Trip Reports (0)

layering pants for cold weather

Post by DestroyMySweater »

So as the cold weather approaches, I wanted to get some advice about layering pants in winter conditions. I feel like I have a good sense and rhythm for the top layers. It's easy enough to switch out a fleece, a jacket, etc., on top, but I can never quite get the right temperature on the bottom half. Either I'm too or too cold, and it's super annoying to try to change out layers on the bottom. I guess my main complaint is that 3 layers (long underwear, polyester hiking pants, soft shell) is too hot and 2 layers (long underwear, soft shell pants) is often too cold. Adding gaiters in the mix is interesting, too, because sometimes then I'm too hot in my calves but too cold above the knees. Same thing with my wool socks -- makes my feet warm but can then be too much insulation for the calves. (And they don't really make thick wool socks that are ankle length...)

Any thoughts on this? Again, I feel like I can regulate temperature on top pretty easily, but I need some help on the bottom layers.
Jenna N S
14ers: 36  2 
13ers: 24 2
Trip Reports (0)

Re: layering pants for cold weather

Post by Jenna N S »

Oh the joys of winter hiking! I have a lot of the same issues in the winter as you are describing. The only thing I have found to be helpful is sticking hand warmers in my pants pockets to help warm my upper legs.
"They say that time is a great teacher but unfortunately it kills all its pupils. The mountains are also great teachers, and better still, they let the occasional star pupil live." Mark Lawrence King of Thorns
AndrewLyonsGeibel
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AndrewLyonsGeibel »

DestroyMySweater wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:16 am So as the cold weather approaches, I wanted to get some advice about layering pants in winter conditions. I feel like I have a good sense and rhythm for the top layers. It's easy enough to switch out a fleece, a jacket, etc., on top, but I can never quite get the right temperature on the bottom half. Either I'm too or too cold, and it's super annoying to try to change out layers on the bottom. I guess my main complaint is that 3 layers (long underwear, polyester hiking pants, soft shell) is too hot and 2 layers (long underwear, soft shell pants) is often too cold. Adding gaiters in the mix is interesting, too, because sometimes then I'm too hot in my calves but too cold above the knees. Same thing with my wool socks -- makes my feet warm but can then be too much insulation for the calves. (And they don't really make thick wool socks that are ankle length...)

Any thoughts on this? Again, I feel like I can regulate temperature on top pretty easily, but I need some help on the bottom layers.
I switched to high quality thermal running tights as a base layer from long underwear. Seems to give me a wider comfortable temperature range and is very good at moisture management. Pants with full side zips also help a lot. Feet are so individual that you probably can’t get good advice online.
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 318 22 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

I have been pretty lucky for layering for pants. I never wear anything other than just pants. I have a few different softshell pants that are different weights, so I just pick the pair that is warm enough for the day. I do have an emergency gore tex rain pant that I keep in my pack all the time. For that just incase, I have only had to use them twice. It was on days when the wind was over 40 mph, so the wind chill was -25 F or so. As long as I keep my hands, feet, head, and upper body warm. My legs tend to be ok.
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 73 months
herdbull
14ers: 58 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (1)

Post by herdbull »

I'll second the running leggings/tights. Very versatile from conditions ranging from +40 to below zero. My next layer if I plan on moving slow or spending time in the cold not doing much to generate body heat is a super lightweight smartwool. Something in the 150 range. Works great for sleeping in as well. I think the key to this is sometimes less is more. The smartwool 150 line is a great base layer for adding warmth but maybe more importantly wicking moisture from the skin. I've worn the 150 long sleeve top while running in -10 air temps as my only layer. Kept me warm and actually had frost form on the outside from body perspiration. Sometimes a little trial and error be in order to dial in what works for you.

https://www.backcountry.com/smartwool-m ... -tEALw_wcB#
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

I've got nothing for you on the leg front because I'm usually a guy who wears shorts down to about 20F. I just make sure the feet are warm, layer up on the socks, thin to thicker.

Your user name has totally gotten an earworm in my head though.

I've had a few of those this week, namely, "Stand" by Sly and the Family Stone and "Stand" by R.E.M.

Barnold41
14ers: 15 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Barnold41 »

+1 for running tights as a base. Then add a moisture wicking jogger or soft shell over. I almost always layer too warm and then take layers off within the first mile or two ](*,)
JacerJack
14ers: 58  3  3 
13ers: 11 3 1
Trip Reports (6)

Post by JacerJack »

12ersRule wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:19 am
Your user name has totally gotten an earworm in my head though.
+1 Thought the same thing...Great username!

I usually only wear softshell pants when cold weather hiking unless it's bitter cold, or excessively windy. In that case, I have three different weights of base layer that I can match with the conditions. Those are Patagonia Capeline Lightweight, Capeline Midweight, and a thick pair of Smartwool Merino 250s. The Capeline Lightweight get by far the most use for mid to high output days (hiking/ski touring), while the Capeline Midweight and Merino 250s are usually only used for resort skiing.
JQDivide
14ers: 58  33 
13ers: 115 1
Trip Reports (58)

Post by JQDivide »

Good advice so far. Agree with the others.
base: running/sport leggings/tights
2nd: smartwool or other thermal layer
outer: Softshell pants

That second layer is dependent on temps and windchill.
I tend to go three layers almost all the time. Those bottom layers are hard to take on or off.
So, I try to regulate my body temp with my upper layers, which are much easier to remove/add.

Joel
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

Post by SurfNTurf »

I used a similar system to what others have described for a while, but it almost always ended up being too hot. (I run warm in general.) Nowadays I go with a lightweight thermal layer (midweight on super cold days) and a pair of midweight softshell pants. That gets me through 95% of conditions. I do usually carry a pair of full-zip hardshell pants for the worst of days or emergencies. They're easy to take on or off even with mountaineering boots, and the full side zippers make them super customizable.
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
benmangelsdorf
14ers: 38  6 
13ers: 29 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by benmangelsdorf »

I wore fleece-lined Eddie Bauer Guide pants on every alpine hike I did last winter, and they did well. I kept long underwear in my bag in case I got super cold, but I don't think I ever actually used them. Ideally I would want similar pants but with full side zips, but I'm not sure if those exist, lol.
angry
14ers: 58  45 
13ers: 231 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by angry »

I am a fan of the Outdoor Research Cirque pants. They are available for both men and women. I tend to run cold and rarely have to use a base layer with them as the material seems pretty windproof yet breathable.