favorite snow gaiters?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Re: favorite snow gaiters?

Post by mtree »

JacerJack wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:02 pm
mtree wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:50 pm
TomPierce wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:40 am
Understood. On both of my winter mountain pants (one heavier/warmer microfleece lined, the other just unlined and lighter) each has a ballistic nylon crampon patch. As good or better than gaiters. But I fully appreciate not all can afford nicer winter mountain pants, esp when just starting off in the winter side of the sport. Gaiters are a viable option for pants w no internal gaiter or cuff eyelets.

-Tom
Gear can get mighty pricey! That's one reason I mix and match with stuff that has multiple uses.
Snowboard pants (with built in gaiter thingy) can be snagged every spring for well under $100. I think my current ones were $30-40.They're lightweight, flexible, tough, double for gaiters, and have multiple pockets. I have another one I got for 20 bucks from all places... Aspen! Some sidewalk sale. Almost all my winter gear is ski/snowboard gear purchased as the season winds down. Even my goggles I picked up cheapo the last week of the season at Loveland.

And get this. My gaiters were free! Some event I was at was giving away stuff. I've since lost them since I never use. Probably buried in a closet somewhere.
...But none of this is as pricey as a good pair of assless chaps. Not even tactical ballistic nylon pants.
But try rolling into a biker bar in tactical ballistic nylon pants. See how that goes over.
Assless leather chaps have soooo many uses.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
Wildernessjane
14ers: 58  13  46 
13ers: 256 23 19
Trip Reports (0)

Re: favorite snow gaiters?

Post by Wildernessjane »

I do think most people will greatly appreciate having a pair of gaiters on when they are first learning/working on improving their cramponing technique. Probably not such a big deal if you only ever use them for short snow crossings but for climbing/scrambling they can be useful. Twice now, I’ve torn my ski pants (not wearing external gaiters) just post-holing/bushwhacking so I’d say there’s some benefit if you at all value your technical outdoor clothing. That said, I do think women’s clothing is not made to hold up to the same level of abuse (don’t get me started). Another added benefit is gaiters can help keep the feet warmer in winter. Personally, I only really wear them in late season as I typically find ways to be on snow well into July and I’m not going to be wearing ski/snowboard pants that time of year. To the OP, I’ve not found any brand/model that I really love. Outdoor Research or RAB have decent options. Get what’s on sale. Or maybe mtree will sell you his pair on the cheap?
“Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world.” -David McCullough?