favorite snow gaiters?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Re: favorite snow gaiters?

Post by HikerGuy »

Robbie Crouse wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:41 pm Not to derail the discussion, but I wonder if the question of whether gaiters need to have a waterproof membrane is based on use. I've used the non-waterproof Rocky Mountain High Gaiters for general snow use -- and without any issues -- but I've not used them to rain/water conditions. Does anybody use GoreTex gaiters to cross low streams (above the boot but below the knee)? Maybe that would be a key difference. But do any of you do that? I'd imagine that even GoreTex couldn't handle being submerged in water for very long.
I find the GoreTex useful in the spring when the snow is wet. When it's cold and dry, it's not needed.
mindfolded
14ers: 43  3 
13ers: 20 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mindfolded »

nickm wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:42 am Earlier this morning I ordered a pair of the REI Mountaineer GTX Gaiters. The straps are located on the inside of the gaiter.
I have a pair of these. The only problem I have is that the hook down towards your toe was stronger than the little metal hoop on my boot and it tore it off so I can't connect them properly anymore. More a problem with the boot than with the gaiter. I guess I've also had to mend a small tear in the upper part of the gaiter.
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

Gaiters? I haven't used gaiters in over a decade. Think about it: If it's deep snow you'll be on snowshoes/skis and gaiters aren't really needed then. And when it's not that deep, that's what the internal gaiters are for on winter mountain pants. Use thin elastic cord for the eyelets to keep the pants from riding up in deeper snow. I've never had an issue.

But I'm 100% sure I'll convince no one, so carry on. :lol:

-Tom
DestroyMySweater
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DestroyMySweater »

Just doubling back around to a more specific question: is the breathability of fabric always better without a waterproof/breathable membrane? In other words, comparing nylon fabric alone vs nylon with 3-layer GTX in it? Just curious.
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

TomPierce wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:59 pm Gaiters? I haven't used gaiters in over a decade. Think about it: If it's deep snow you'll be on snowshoes/skis and gaiters aren't really needed then. And when it's not that deep, that's what the internal gaiters are for on winter mountain pants. Use thin elastic cord for the eyelets to keep the pants from riding up in deeper snow. I've never had an issue.

-Tom
I'm with you, Tom. Gaiters are dumb. What a waste of money. My snowboard pants work fine all winter. Spring snow? If I think I'll be in deep snow for long I wear long hiking pants and can cinch them low, but its never happen. I just plow through the short patches no biggy. Maybe its my boots, but I don't seem to get much snow in them regardless.

I put gaiters in the same category as kitchen gadgets.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
JacerJack
14ers: 58  3  3 
13ers: 11 3 1
Trip Reports (6)

Post by JacerJack »

mtree wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:14 am
TomPierce wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:59 pm Gaiters? I haven't used gaiters in over a decade. Think about it: If it's deep snow you'll be on snowshoes/skis and gaiters aren't really needed then. And when it's not that deep, that's what the internal gaiters are for on winter mountain pants. Use thin elastic cord for the eyelets to keep the pants from riding up in deeper snow. I've never had an issue.

-Tom
I'm with you, Tom. Gaiters are dumb. What a waste of money. My snowboard pants work fine all winter.
Counter point: If for no other reason, I like gaiters to keep from ripping my snow pants while wearing crampons. They help keep things streamlined and hold up much better to the accidental (but always inevitable) crampon snag.
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

JacerJack wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:24 am Counter point: If for no other reason, I like gaiters to keep from ripping my snow pants while wearing crampons. They help keep things streamlined and hold up much better to the accidental (but always inevitable) crampon snag.
Ahhhh. That's when I break out my leather Harley chaps. Can't wear them enough!
JacerJack
Trip Reports (6)

Post by JacerJack »

mtree wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:45 am
JacerJack wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:24 am Counter point: If for no other reason, I like gaiters to keep from ripping my snow pants while wearing crampons. They help keep things streamlined and hold up much better to the accidental (but always inevitable) crampon snag.
Nice, major style points! I heard chaps are super breathable too..
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

JacerJack wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:04 am
mtree wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:45 am
Nice, major style points! I heard chaps are super breathable too..
They are. They're assless.
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

JacerJack wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:24 am
mtree wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:14 am

-Tom
I'm with you, Tom. Gaiters are dumb. What a waste of money. My snowboard pants work fine all winter.
Counter point: If for no other reason, I like gaiters to keep from ripping my snow pants while wearing crampons. They help keep things streamlined and hold up much better to the accidental (but always inevitable) crampon snag.
Understood. On both of my winter mountain pants (one heavier/warmer microfleece lined, the other just unlined and lighter) each has a ballistic nylon crampon patch. As good or better than gaiters. But I fully appreciate not all can afford nicer winter mountain pants, esp when just starting off in the winter side of the sport. Gaiters are a viable option for pants w no internal gaiter or cuff eyelets.

-Tom
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

TomPierce wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:40 am
Understood. On both of my winter mountain pants (one heavier/warmer microfleece lined, the other just unlined and lighter) each has a ballistic nylon crampon patch. As good or better than gaiters. But I fully appreciate not all can afford nicer winter mountain pants, esp when just starting off in the winter side of the sport. Gaiters are a viable option for pants w no internal gaiter or cuff eyelets.

-Tom
Gear can get mighty pricey! That's one reason I mix and match with stuff that has multiple uses.
Snowboard pants (with built in gaiter thingy) can be snagged every spring for well under $100. I think my current ones were $30-40.They're lightweight, flexible, tough, double for gaiters, and have multiple pockets. I have another one I got for 20 bucks from all places... Aspen! Some sidewalk sale. Almost all my winter gear is ski/snowboard gear purchased as the season winds down. Even my goggles I picked up cheapo the last week of the season at Loveland.

And get this. My gaiters were free! Some event I was at was giving away stuff. I've since lost them since I never use. Probably buried in a closet somewhere.
JacerJack
Trip Reports (6)

Post by JacerJack »

mtree wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:50 pm
TomPierce wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:40 am

-Tom
Gear can get mighty pricey! That's one reason I mix and match with stuff that has multiple uses.
Snowboard pants (with built in gaiter thingy) can be snagged every spring for well under $100. I think my current ones were $30-40.They're lightweight, flexible, tough, double for gaiters, and have multiple pockets. I have another one I got for 20 bucks from all places... Aspen! Some sidewalk sale. Almost all my winter gear is ski/snowboard gear purchased as the season winds down. Even my goggles I picked up cheapo the last week of the season at Loveland.

And get this. My gaiters were free! Some event I was at was giving away stuff. I've since lost them since I never use. Probably buried in a closet somewhere.
...But none of this is as pricey as a good pair of assless chaps. Not even tactical ballistic nylon pants.