Winter summit boots

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Lummp
Trip Reports (0)

Winter summit boots

Post by Lummp »

Hey gang, I’m returning in December to attempt my first winter climb. I’ve always done my peak bagging in May/June so I’m not entirely sure if my Salomon Quest 4D 3 GTX tall boots will provide adequate insulation. Do I need to shell at the $$ for a pair of Trangos or Charmozes? I am a little cold prone but was fine staying overnight on Mt Elbert ridge back in June and I think it got down to the teens that night. I use Darn Tuff mountaineering socks for reference.
dwoodward13
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 157 6
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Winter summit boots

Post by dwoodward13 »

I'll start with saying that no one on here can give you good advice when it comes to this. Your feet are your feet.

For me personally, I could not wear an uninsulated boot for winter conditions hiking. Salomon makes an insulated version of the Quest, which would be the most logical place to start. I'd caution you of going straight to mountaineering boots. I believe the two you just mentioned are also uninsulated, and outside of the 3/4ths shank, are very similar to your Quest 4Ds. Pretty much every boot manufacturer makes an insulated version of their summer boots (Salomon, Keen, Merrell, ect), and unless you are climbing routes that require crampons, those are the way to go over mountaineering boots IMO.
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

Be sure to check out the thread on "favorite gaiters".

Obviously two schools of thought on this, but for my money, a good pair of gaiters goes a long way to making whatever boot you select even better!
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

Wentzl wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:50 pm Be sure to check out the thread on "favorite gaiters".

Obviously two schools of thought on this, but for my money, a good pair of gaiters goes a long way to making whatever boot you select even better!
OP, if you're looking to just get by on a winter day climb with your existing boots (assuming no brutal temps), consider getting some insulated super gaiters. Maybe find some used on ebay? Cheaper than new boots.

Pick an easier peak (Quandary comes to mind), that way retreat is pretty straightforward if the weather/temps turn really cold. And note that December temps are often pretty brisk vs. March.

-Tom
JtheChemE
Trip Reports (4)

Post by JtheChemE »

Generally, mountaineering boots are overkill for most casual winter 14er hikes. As Woodward says, the shank is unnecessary unless using crampons. At the end of the day you'll appreciate a boot that is a bit more forgiving on your feet.

If you do decide to go the mountaineering boot route, you can rent boots from some of the local gear shops. If the winter stuff is going to be infrequent, you'll save quite a bit of money that way.

Unless crampons are needed bugaboots (or similar) seem to be fairly popular amongst the folks I tend to get out with in winter.
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

Every one of my winter peaks has been with Saloman Quest 3D or 4D boots. They worked fine for me. Their only issue is that they aren't quite stiff enough for crampons. I've done plenty of cramponing in them, but they flex enough that the crampons pop off my toes frequently. So avoid couloir climbing and you'll be fine I bet.
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
nickm
14ers: 33 
13ers: 285
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nickm »

If you are just worried about your feet getting cold and do not want to make a big investment for one hike, Hot Hands & Grabber both make toe warmers for under $2/pair. You should have enough room in your Salomon's. If you have never used them they are thin and have a sticky side that you stick to your sock above your toes. They will last for around 6 hours. I carry a pair or two most of the year just in case!
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ltlFish99 »

+1 on the gaiters recommendation. I think they help a lot. They keep any snow out of my boots and help keep my feet warmer.
Snow_Dog_frassati
14ers: 58  8  5 
13ers: 84 4 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Snow_Dog_frassati »

Honestly I agree with the comments that it varies from person to person. I don't have a special winter insulated boot. Normally I hike in trail runners so I got boots that I use because I need something waterproof and with a little bit more support. I have a pair of scarpa zodiacs which has a very slight amount of insulation but not really much. I've worn those pretty cold climbs. If I feel like the cold temperatures are going to be a problem then I'll go for the boots that I wear ice climbing. They are way overkill and pretty stiff so I try to avoid them if I don't need them.

I certainly don't think you need to get a full-on mountaineering boot unless you're intending on doing something pretty rowdy. A boot with insulation suitable for like snowshoeing or something would probably be just fine.
"A good decision yesterday doesn't absolve me from a bad decision today"
desertdog
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 273 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by desertdog »

I’ve used these https://www.salewa.com/en-us/mountain-t ... 0000061372 with mountaineering socks. They work well and are comfy.
The summit is a source of power. The long view gives one knowledge and time to prepare. The summit, by virtue of the dizzying exposure, leaves one vulnerable. A bit of confidence and a dash of humility is all we get for our work. Yet to share these moments with friends is to be human. C. Anker
LoveThisSite
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LoveThisSite »

Here's my feedback:
Keeping in mind that you mention that you are cold prone:
If you find a perfect day to climb with mild temperatures and mild wind you may be able to get away with the Quest 4D's.
I too have become cold prone the last couple of years and I will not even consider climbing any 14ers in winter with my Salomon's. Trangos also did not cut it for me. I am confident that Nepal EVOs are going to keep my feet warm no matter the conditions but also the heaviest boots. I invested in a pair of Columbia Titanium insulated boots (an excellent suggestion by someone on this forum last winter) which I haven't used yet but are likely the best compromise of weight vs risk for me.
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

Asking for boot recommendations on this site is like asking for a favorite beer.

Go to REI or some other place and check out what they have for yourself. Its a very individual purchase. I'm guessing mountaineering boots are overkill. I just use my summer boots and have never had a problem. I thought I ran cold, but guess not as much as expected. The only difference is I wear warmer socks in winter conditions and typically wear snowboard pants. Gaiters are lame. My pants do what gaiters do and waaaay more.

I also have winter boots (not quite mountaineering). They're rated down to -40F or so. I got them thinking I'd need them and they were on sale at Gart Bros way back when. I used them a few times until I forgot to bring them once. Stiffer, taller, heavier, and accommodate crampons, but I quickly learned that's not what I needed. So I ditched them for my summer boots. Never turned back. The good news is they're stiff enough to use with snowboarding and back country snowshoes. And shoveling deep snow. So not all was lost. Good luck in your quest.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.