Salt air and outdoor gear

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jaymz
Trip Reports (1)

Salt air and outdoor gear

Post by jaymz »

Life and work have relocated me and mine to that great mountaineering mecca known as Clearwater, Florida. I've done a little Googling, but honestly, I've come to trust this forum more when it comes to things like this:
How concerned should I be about the effects of salty air on my climbing gear? Do I need to keep it in airtight containers, or is it ok hanging on a wall and sitting in boxes in a closet? I do have dreams of building a little climbing wall somewhere, but worried about having my stuff out in the open in a coastal area, especially when living or dying depends on the structural integrity of that stuff.
Or am I just worried about a non-existent problem?
Thanks in advance!
"But in every walk with Nature, one receives far more than he seeks."
John Muir
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Re: Salt air and outdoor gear

Post by pvnisher »

I lived within rock throwing distance of the ocean in East Asia for 4 years.
My bike (outdoors) turned to absolute rust. My tools, indoor, varied by how expensive they were.
Wife's indoor bike fared just fine.

My climbing stuff looks fine, most of it is aluminum. Steel crampons and tools are ok.
I don't think it has any effect on webbing and rope, but I stored all that indoors.

I did use one sling and two carabineers for attaching things to my paddle board. They got lots of salt water and sun, and whether it affects them or not, I ain't climbing with those particular pieces again.

I will say that most things stored outdoors in my car hole (literally a hole in the hillside) or outdoor shed aged pretty badly. Mold, salt crusting, rust, insect eggs, not great.
Indoors, pretty ok, except for a fair amount of mold on stuff, but that shouldn't really matter for integrity.
jaymz
Trip Reports (1)

Post by jaymz »

Thank you, that is encouraging!
John Muir
Fletch Lives
14ers: 47  17 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Fletch Lives »

https://www.containerstore.com/s/clear- ... d=10024301

I live in a place where there are dramatic fluctuations in temp and humidity, so I use these for down jackets, sleeping bags, ropes, webbing, slings, harnesses, fly fishing gear and everything else I don't want to get funky. I am up to 12 of these bad boys and the original 4 I purchased in Denver in 2009 are still bomber. Stuff that's 15 years old looks brand new. Only exception to this system is fuel, stoves, and water filters (you never really can dry those things out).

If you're slightly more daring, buy one of these to keep them all nice a neat. :)

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Black ... lsrc=aw.ds
Uh. Well, I've sinned. I didn't take any Polaroids or anything. But, yeah, I've sinned.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

For someone who grew up salt water fishing, WD-40 became my best friend with my gear. Understand you can't spray that on all your equipment but can probably work on some of it.
Also if it ever got sprayed directly with salt water or dunked, washing it with freshwater helped prevent corrosion on metal surfaces.
jaymz
Trip Reports (1)

Post by jaymz »

Thanks guys. Sounds like I shouldn't be worried about one day suddenly finding a rusty pile of dust where my draws and axes used to be :)
I'll look into those containers and a little regular maintenance.
John Muir
AndrewLyonsGeibel
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AndrewLyonsGeibel »

Throw a silica packet in those sealed tubs and you’re good to go.
Miles813
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Miles813 »

I currently live in Tampa and my advice would be to keep anything that can oxidize that you care about indoors in a climate controlled area. I left my golf clubs in the garage for a weekend and they had rust. I keep all my gear in my bedroom to my wife's great chagrin. But in tubs in the house and you should be fine. As others have suggested throwing a couple of those silica pouches in there cannot hurt.

Hopefully I will see you at Vertical Ventures in St. Pete!