Ski Mountaineering Shell Gear - 2022

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
JulianSmith
14ers: 57  41  13 
13ers: 52 8 2
Trip Reports (0)

Ski Mountaineering Shell Gear - 2022

Post by JulianSmith »

Old shell gear is beyond worn out, and I need to look at some replacements. What are some of the better options out there? I heard about Futurelight a couple of years ago, but not so much any more. Is 3-layer Gore-Tex the best option? I am an Arc'teryx fan, but am interested in what other people use as go-to shell gear for ski mountaineering/ice climbing/alpine climbing kind of stuff. I am looking at both jacket and pants. I am a big fan of full side zips for the pants. Thanks for any advice.
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Re: Ski Mountaineering Shell Gear - 2022

Post by pvnisher »

I find the material less important than the features.
Any top end shell will have good features and craftsmanship.
I look for big pit zips, pockets that are the right size and placement, weight, a hood that doesn't block my peripheral vision, overall fit, etc.

Pants, same thing, although internal gaiters are nice and also gaiter loops. Full zips, loops for suspenders if I choose, decent pocket placement, belt options... I actually prefer a low bib to avoid stacking belts and waistbands where my pack rides.

Find the features you want, regardless of the material.
cheechaco
14ers: 23 
13ers: 52
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cheechaco »

For BC skiing I am currently using Flylow Baker bibs. I like the outer and inner leg vents. I also like keeping my collapsible water bottle in the bib pocket. For my upper body I am mixing it up this year. It's hard for me to dial this in BC skiing. I sweat like a pig on the up. I typically am just wearing a jersey type material long sleeve shirt under my bibs, and that's it. This year I have been using the same long sleeve shirt with fleece arm warmers. I recently purchased the Arcteryx Gamma LT soft shell. I have the regular Gamma hooded soft shell, but the LT has no hood or thin fleece lining, two features I can do without for my application. I am really diggin the Gamma LT so far!!!!Then I have my Mammut rain jacket, plus a semi thin down in my pack. I do have, and really like, the Arcteryx Beta (or Theta, I forget) shell jacket. It's just bulkier than my rain jacket, and I just can't justify packing it every tour with how often I actually use it (hardly ever). Of course if the weather is looking particularly nasty, I will switch out the upper body shells. The one thing I do not like about the Mammut rain jacket is the zipper is opposite of normal. Like they tried to make a left hand zipper??? But I'm left handed and it is a PITA especially with cold fingers! Hope this helps...
"Until at last he smote his enemies ruin across the mountainside"
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

cheechaco wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:04 pm The one thing I do not like about the Mammut rain jacket is the zipper is opposite of normal. Like they tried to make a left hand zipper??? But I'm left handed and it is a PITA especially with cold fingers! Hope this helps...
Most/many European companies are left handed zips. Makes it easier for your servants to dress you.
In the BC I just have my sword bearer operate my zips. Gets a little awkward with the left hand fly, but, you know, nobility gonna noble.
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

pvnisher wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:54 pm Most/many European companies are left handed zips. Makes it easier for your servants to dress you.
In the BC I just have my sword bearer operate my zips. Gets a little awkward with the left hand fly, but, you know, nobility gonna noble.
Bwahahaha, oh yeah, spot on: https://www.npr.org/2013/07/24/20453872 ... evastation
Blackadder.jpg
Blackadder.jpg (61.44 KiB) Viewed 3560 times
seano
14ers: 56 
13ers: 218
Trip Reports (3)

Post by seano »

cheechaco wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:04 pmThe one thing I do not like about the Mammut rain jacket is the zipper is opposite of normal. Like they tried to make a left hand zipper??? But I'm left handed and it is a PITA especially with cold fingers! Hope this helps...
Hah! I have a Mammut fleece hoodie that zips the same direction -- like a women's shirt -- and I thought maybe it was just a mislabeled women's model.

But speaking of ski shells... I always go with softshell pants, since my legs don't really get cold, and a heavy softshell (e.g. BD Dawn Patrol) plus wool long underwear is warm enough for anything, especially if you're moving. On top, a hard shell with pit zips is nice, so it can both keep the snow off and breathe at the same time. It should fit so you can wear a fleece under it, and a down parka on top when you stop.
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 104 14 5
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Jorts »

pvnisher wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:07 am I find the material less important than the features.
I'm actually the opposite... material being more important than features. If it doesn't breathe, I cannot use it for skinning.

I've used Outdoor Research's Interstellar for 4 years - though its finally starting to wear out and wet out when it's really nuking. It's lightweight and breathable, so great for those efforts that start below treeline and end above.

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/ ... terstellar
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
JulianSmith
14ers: 57  41  13 
13ers: 52 8 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JulianSmith »

Thanks for the replies everyone. I really appreciate the feedback. So, everyone is wearing softshells and really lightweight windproof stuff instead of full-on shell gear? Like, I am thinking of entire days in the Summit County wind lab in the spring kind of thing. Not any kind of pretty weather gear at all..., but everyone else here well knows how the weather can get sometimes during the spring.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Here's what I use, then I simply adjust for warmer/colder/windy days via 1 or 2 layers of synthetic base layers of varying weights. I do a lot of cold winter days at high elevation and this serves me well.

Pants: Arc'teryx Beta SV Bib pants (they make a lot of noise when you walk into the post office)
Jacket Shell: Arc'teryx Beta AR Pro Shell (light)
Jacket Under: Mountain Hardware Windstopper Fleece (heaviest of the 3 jackets)
Jacket Puffy (in pack until needed): Mountain Hardware Down Puffy w/Hood (light)

EDIT: The arc pants are noisy, not the jacket
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
Bean
14ers: 45  45  10 
13ers: 9 4
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Bean »

For pants I have a couple different-weight softshell pants, light and very light, and then a few 3L pants and bibs to pick from. On top it's always a base layer, atom LT hoody, and then a light windshirt to throw on top if it gets too windy. Emergency parka in the bottom of the pack. I'm not sure when the last time I used a hardshell jacket in the backcountry was, it's cold and dry enough here I never feel like I need it.

I wish Arc'teryx would bring back the Gamma SK pants.
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com
Barnold41
14ers: 15 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Barnold41 »

cheechaco wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:04 pm For BC skiing I am currently using Flylow Baker bibs. I like the outer and inner leg vents. I also like keeping my collapsible water bottle in the bib pocket.
I've been looking at these recently so thanks for the info! When did you get them and how are they holding up?
cheechaco
14ers: 23 
13ers: 52
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cheechaco »

I think this is my third season using them. They are holding up awesome, not really showing any wear.
"Until at last he smote his enemies ruin across the mountainside"