Water filtration bottles

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mgl45
14ers: 1 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Water filtration bottles

Post by mgl45 »

I was thinking of getting a water filtration bottle that can interface with the Osprey quick connect valve. (I have a 3 liter Osprey reservoir)

Can anyone recommend a product like this that has worked well for them?

Thanks much for any suggestions anyone has!
Skimo95
14ers: 58  13  23 
13ers: 176 8
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Water filtration bottles

Post by Skimo95 »

9patrickmurphy
14ers: 50  1  2 
13ers: 320 24 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by 9patrickmurphy »

Katadyn's BeFree Gravity system interfaces with Osprey quick disconnects. It's not a "bottle" but you could jerry rig something together I suppose. I've usually just squeezed water from a filter bottle into the open reservoir without too much hassle.
mgl45
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mgl45 »

Skimo95 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:49 am This might be of use

https://14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=59773
Thanks!
mgl45
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mgl45 »

9patrickmurphy wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:11 am Katadyn's BeFree Gravity system interfaces with Osprey quick disconnects. It's not a "bottle" but you could jerry rig something together I suppose. I've usually just squeezed water from a filter bottle into the open reservoir without too much hassle.

I found the Katadyn's BeFree system on REI and it looks great. The collapsible container looks better than a bottle.

https://www.rei.com/product/116364/kata ... lsrc=aw.ds

On the product page I don't see any quick connect components though. Do you know how I would go about interfacing it with the Osprey quick connect?

I tried searching for Osprey quick connect on Osprey's website, REI, Amazon and Google and in all places the only product I find looks like this, which doesn't seem to have the right fittings for the Katadyn.
https://www.rei.com/product/864033/ospr ... n-hose-kit

Thanks much for any further advice you may have!
tlerunner
14ers: 27 
13ers: 57
Trip Reports (2)

Post by tlerunner »

I have the Be Free collapsible bottle and filter and it does work. However, I have found the Steripen to be much easier and quicker. Does require a container with a large enough opening though.
9patrickmurphy
14ers: 50  1  2 
13ers: 320 24 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by 9patrickmurphy »

mgl45 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:30 pm Do you know how I would go about interfacing it with the Osprey quick connect?
Same model line, but the 3L gravity comes with the tube and quick disconnect thing. It fits the Osprey interface for me. The tube connection to the filter just screws off, so you could put it on the 1L bottle too.
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (20)

Post by Kiefer »

mgl45 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:40 pm I was thinking of getting a water filtration bottle that can interface with the Osprey quick connect valve. (I have a 3 liter Osprey reservoir)

Can anyone recommend a product like this that has worked well for them?

Thanks much for any suggestions anyone has!
I know you asked about filtration bottles, but I have to whole-heartedly agree with tlerunner about the SteriPen.
I've used this device pretty much exclusively since 2014/15 and in all those years, I've been sick once; and that includes
drinking straight from the creek untreated more times than I can count.
The thing is crazy light (only a few ounces) and takes up no room in my pack. Only catch as far as I can see, is you need
a container with a wide enough mouth to allow the device to be inserted (Nalgene). Sixty seconds later, you're ready to rock
and roll! Of course, it doesn't filtrate, so top filling from a water source is what you're going to want to do. Just my .02 cents.
mgl45
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mgl45 »

Thanks everyone for all your advice!