What essential tools do you carry in your vehicle

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Monte Meals
Trip Reports (0)

Re: What essential tools do you carry in your vehicle

Post by Monte Meals »

^ "An extra catalytic converter and a welder for my prius so I'm not screwed if my converter gets stolen by the marmots."

If you have one of those (admittedly rare) dual exhaust prius -

you probably need two.

Those marmots are SNEAKY !
Last edited by Monte Meals on Fri May 06, 2022 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GregMiller
14ers: 37  4  1 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (5)

Post by GregMiller »

Been very happy on a couple occasions in the back of beyond to have a proper cross-style tire iron, instead of the little bent-handle thing that comes with most vehicles.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

air compressor
jumper cables
tow strap
shovel
machete
saw
water purifier
emergency food
emergency blanket
gloves
poncho

I've actually used a few of those items in emergencies.

For most 14ers, probably don't need a emergency kit, but its a very good idea once you start hitting 13ers and other non popular things
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
Skimo95
14ers: 58  13  23 
13ers: 176 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Skimo95 »

Those NOCO jump starters are worth their weight in gold. I’d add if you drive a Ford, keep a couple sockets .5-1mm bigger due to the lug nut swelling issue. For me #1 is sat phone, followed by food/water, lastly a good sleeping bag.
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

Skimo95 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 4:56 pm Those NOCO jump starters are worth their weight in gold. I’d add if you drive a Ford, keep a couple sockets .5-1mm bigger due to the lug nut swelling issue. For me #1 is sat phone, followed by food/water, lastly a good sleeping bag.
Mine was delivered today, although I decided on a Hulkman 85 (oh-so-important to have a macho sounding tool! :lol: ) I liked the 2K amp power and it seemed to pop up on enough favorable reviews that I decided to pull the trigger. A buddy had a similar unit (forgot the brand) at a recent put-in on a Yampa kayak run, I needed it to charge my phone and was impressed with the concept given that I frequent pretty remote areas out near Utah. A walk out would be 20+ miles, and even when back at a road it'd be 30+ miles of thumbing a ride (to a town with no cell service...). A dead battery has long been a nightmare scenario for me, glad to see technology solving this problem. Just need to keep it charged up.

As a former lightweight auto mechanic (gas station wrench back in the day before college; still restoring my '62 Austin Healey...), I'll add a few items not covered previously:

-I'd opt to address the likely issues: Flats, ruptured coolant hoses, and of course just ordinary course stuck (snow, mud, etc.). The idea of changing a belt (serpentine) in the field on anything later than about a '90 vehicle...oy. I'm sure some will chime in that they've actually done it and of course it varies by vehicle, but that's a piece of work. I always assume sh*t happens at night, on sloping terrain, during a 34 degree steady rain, so...For stuff like that my view is that it's best to stay on top of maintenance at home and have it proactively changed when needed vs. letting a cracked, old belt surprise you in the backcountry.

-A long, stiff flat blade screw driver is invaluable to chip off frozen sludge/ice/snow from your wheel wells in a blizzard. The kind of crap that will rub and flatten a tire. In a blizzard :shock: . Been there.

-A kick ass flashlight is also invaluable, but only if the batteries work. Light is always your friend.

-A Sven saw is great for sawing a downed tree. Again, been there. Super skinny/packable. I think REI still sells them?

-There is some tape made for coolant hose ruptures. I have some; I doubt duct/electrical tape would work. Maybe? Check online.

-Yes, at least a couple of quarts of water, a space-type bivy sack. But I'd also think about walking out if needed, e.g. I have an old pair of running shoes/windbreaker/stocking cap in my tool box.

-Don't forget duh safety stuff: A plastic chock to kick under a tire when changing the other one; one of those bipod reflective safety thingys for when you're fixing a flat roadside in a rainstorm. Don't get whacked by a bozo checking Instagram at 80 mph.

-Finally, a shovel. A real shovel. I've had to dig out my 4Runner more than once, and I've also broken a hickory-handled basic shovel. Consider one of the fiberglass full sized shovels (Home Depot/Lowes).

-Tom
Monte Meals
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Monte Meals »

Duck tape
(all repairs are ultimately temporary)

WD-40
(sexual innuendos are discouraged on this site !)

And last but not least
BACON
Cruiser
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Cruiser »

Toilet paper
Where ever you are... There you are.
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

Lug nut key
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
WanderingJim
14ers: 17 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by WanderingJim »

My Yosemite annual pass card
Grocery bags
Duct tape
trash bags
Spare credit card (hidden well)
Spare house key (hidden well)
Jumper cables
Collapsible Shovel
Some way-to-old brake fluid (keep meaning to get a new bottle)
First aid kit
Mini earthquake kit with emergency food, blanket, etc. (I live in California)
Tow strap
Flares
Light sticks
Flashlight
Cleaning sprays
Small towels for cleaning
Fire extinguisher
Various tools & spare fuses, bolts, etc
Spare pair of boots
Blanket
Spare clothes (t-shirt, warm pullover, sweat pants, socks, underwear)
Towel
Bottle of Gatorade
1.5 gallons of water
Insect spray
Sun block lotion
Bag of quarters and small bills for parking and admission fees
Hiking notices with contact info (I write my itinerary on it when I'm doing particularly tricky hikes, especially when out of cell range).
Tire pressure gauge
Trekking Poles
In Winter: Tire Chains, snow shovel, cat litter, cold weather jacket and gloves (and sometimes a hat), snowshoes and micro spikes

And... a couple pee bags for when I can't stop (or don't want to). :)