Going up Mount Elbert..advice?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
FAL_Fan277
Trip Reports (0)

Going up Mount Elbert..advice?

Post by FAL_Fan277 »

Hello all! I'm taking a trip out to Colorado at the end of June 2022 into July 2022 and I am planning on making the climb up Mount Elbert. I have my backpack and boots already that I use for hiking but this will be my first 14er and I need some help planning the proper water/food loadout as well as any other gear recommendations you can offer. I don't generally use hiking poles but I have a pair I can bring if they would be useful there and I have lighting covered as well. I have a ton of water filtration devices but I don't know what natural sources are present. Would you suggest bringing additional air sources? I didn't see a post like this one so I'm just reaching out for help!

Thanks in advance!
constipated_pete
14ers: 31  2 
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Going up Mount Elbert..advice?

Post by constipated_pete »

Good luck! Usually ~3 liters of water is good for me, there probably won't be much in terms of water sources above treeline. I find that I can't stomach much besides snacks on hikes but everyone is different. Additional air sources are not the best idea -- if you're thinking about canned air, it won't be enough to help for an extended period of time. If you find yourself struggling too much then the solution is just to head down.

Two important things that you didn't mention: Acclimatization is important, you should try to at least spend a night in Leadville before the climb. And lightning is the biggest risk to summer 14er hikes, thunderstorms build very quickly and you don't want to be above treeline in an electrical storm. Aim to have summited and be down near treeline again by noon.
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

I don't know the timeline of your trip or where you live, but trying to sleep in Leadville coming from the sea level didn't really work for me. I agree that everyone is different, but my sweet spot for spending first night in CO is somewhere around 8k. So, Buena Vista beats Leadville in that single aspect.
FAL_Fan277
Trip Reports (0)

Post by FAL_Fan277 »

constipated_pete wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:04 pm Good luck! Usually ~3 liters of water is good for me, there probably won't be much in terms of water sources above treeline. I find that I can't stomach much besides snacks on hikes but everyone is different. Additional air sources are not the best idea -- if you're thinking about canned air, it won't be enough to help for an extended period of time. If you find yourself struggling too much then the solution is just to head down.

Two important things that you didn't mention: Acclimatization is important, you should try to at least spend a night in Leadville before the climb. And lightning is the biggest risk to summer 14er hikes, thunderstorms build very quickly and you don't want to be above treeline in an electrical storm. Aim to have summited and be down near treeline again by noon.
I will already be in Denver for a couple days prior but that makes a lot of sense to stay at 10k Leadville for a night prior to going up to the peak! My best friend lives out in Denver (I'm in Virginia) and he'll be my hiking partner so he has warned me about the sudden storms out that way but I had forgotten about that. Your water suggestion is excellent and based on previous hikes of mine that seems like a good number to follow. The canned air comment...yeah, that makes sense too...Hopefully the acclimation the night/day prior will help us to conquer the summit but if not then I see your point. I had read online the timeline suggestion so it's good to see that you confirmed what I had found so that will be the plan! Any other thoughts? Hiking poles yes/no? (It only let me quote one comment at a time but I feel this responds to both of you who have offered help thus far.)
pcsongei
14ers: 15 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pcsongei »

FAL_Fan277 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:45 pm
constipated_pete wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:04 pm Good luck! Usually ~3 liters of water is good for me, there probably won't be much in terms of water sources above treeline. I find that I can't stomach much besides snacks on hikes but everyone is different. Additional air sources are not the best idea -- if you're thinking about canned air, it won't be enough to help for an extended period of time. If you find yourself struggling too much then the solution is just to head down.

I will already be in Denver for a couple days prior but that makes a lot of sense to stay at 10k Leadville for a night prior to going up to the peak! My best friend lives out in Denver (I'm in Virginia) and he'll be my hiking partner so he has warned me about the sudden storms out that way but I had forgotten about that. Your water suggestion is excellent and based on previous hikes of mine that seems like a good number to follow. The canned air comment...yeah, that makes sense too...Hopefully the acclimation the night/day prior will help us to conquer the summit but if not then I see your point. I had read online the timeline suggestion so it's good to see that you confirmed what I had found so that will be the plan! Any other thoughts? Hiking poles yes/no? (It only let me quote one comment at a time but I feel this responds to both of you who have offered help thus far.)
I would bring the poles, they are useful for ascending and descending. They can really help lighten the load on your knees coming down. Also make sure to bring several layers and prepare for any weather. I find it useful sometimes to have a pair of gloves in my pack - my hands get really cold up at elevation, especially when it's windy, which it often is.
derekesq
14ers: 29 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (1)

Post by derekesq »

not sure which route you are going, but depending on that, expect many false summits.
Who is John Galt
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

If you have a 4wd (Subaru or better) do the east ridge route. Otherwise you'll be doing the northeast ridge which is nore elevation gain. Both routes are pretty dry, so make sure you bring enough water (I agree with 3 liters comment).

3 liters water windbreaker, light insulating layer (don't go crazy, just a fleece vest or something in case it hails or rains while you're comung down), plenty of sunblock, a few snacks, and you'll be fine. Some people really like hiking poles. I don't use them but that's because I'm too tall for them.

Elbert is pretty heavily trafficked. I was up there Monday and there were people coming from all 3 official routes: multiple groups up NE, a few up East Ridge, and at least one group of 3 up the southern route from Blackcloud. I came up from 125C and over Cosgriff. East and NE ridge routes are VERY easy to follow.
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 104 14 5
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Jorts »

FAL_Fan277 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:38 am Would you suggest bringing additional air sources?
No. Those gimmicky air canisters momentarily raise your oxygen saturation before it tails back to baseline. They can be useful but they do not provide the silver bullet many expect and hope for. Your best bet is to be fit upon arrival, then gradually gain elevation over the course of several days. i.e. stay in Denver, then stay in BV, camp at the base of Massive/Elbert or wherever up that way, then attempt Elbert.

Also, you don't want to overdo it on weight. That can be just as dangerous as traveling without essentials. Find the happy medium.
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
FAL_Fan277
Trip Reports (0)

Post by FAL_Fan277 »

I would bring the poles, they are useful for ascending and descending. They can really help lighten the load on your knees coming down. Also make sure to bring several layers and prepare for any weather. I find it useful sometimes to have a pair of gloves in my pack - my hands get really cold up at elevation, especially when it's windy, which it often is.
If you have a 4wd (Subaru or better) do the east ridge route. Otherwise you'll be doing the northeast ridge which is nore elevation gain. Both routes are pretty dry, so make sure you bring enough water (I agree with 3 liters comment).
3 liters water windbreaker, light insulating layer (don't go crazy, just a fleece vest or something in case it hails or rains while you're comung down), plenty of sunblock, a few snacks, and you'll be fine. Some people really like hiking poles. I don't use them but that's because I'm too tall for them.
Elbert is pretty heavily trafficked. I was up there Monday and there were people coming from all 3 official routes: multiple groups up NE, a few up East Ridge, and at least one group of 3 up the southern route from Blackcloud. I came up from 125C and over Cosgriff. East and NE ridge routes are VERY easy to follow.
I will definitely be bringing the hiking poles (I'm 6'2" and they work for me), if I'm not actively using them then my pack has straps for storing such things. I anticipated just bringing a packable rain jacket as a my layer but I'll add a light fleece or something and some thin gloves to my pack just in case. My buddy has a Land Rover but we were planning on hiking the mountain. That being said: which route should we take? I've read a few things but I still really am not sure which is best for foot traffic that isn't absolute murder on the knees.
No. Those gimmicky air canisters momentarily raise your oxygen saturation before it tails back to baseline. They can be useful but they do not provide the silver bullet many expect and hope for. Your best bet is to be fit upon arrival, then gradually gain elevation over the course of several days. i.e. stay in Denver, then stay in BV, camp at the base of Massive/Elbert or wherever up that way, then attempt Elbert.
Also, you don't want to overdo it on weight. That can be just as dangerous as traveling without essentials. Find the happy medium.
Yeah, I told my buddy about the air cans and well...we're not bringing any...as far as weight is concerned I am quite familiar with not pushing that one, so definitely good advice!