Missing Plastic Buckle for Waist Section of my Backpacking Backpack?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jibler
14ers: 13 
13ers: 35
Trip Reports (18)

Missing Plastic Buckle for Waist Section of my Backpacking Backpack?

Post by jibler »

So my extremely old Rainier brand camping backpack is suddenly missing one of those clips for the waist section - the big clip thing.

How do people handle this kind of thing? I don't even think that brand is operational anymore from what i can tell. Otherwise the backpack is still rocking - just need to somehow fix this.

Thoughts welcome.

Also - taking this moment to say Go Avs!!
Keep looking up - Jack Horkheimer
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Missing Plastic Buckle for Waist Section of my Backpacking Backpack?

Post by SkaredShtles »

jibler wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:42 pm So my extremely old Rainier brand camping backpack is suddenly missing one of those clips for the waist section - the big clip thing.

How do people handle this kind of thing? I don't even think that brand is operational anymore from what i can tell. Otherwise the backpack is still rocking - just need to somehow fix this.

Thoughts welcome.

Also - taking this moment to say Go Avs!!
Those buckles are pretty standard sizes usually - I had a 2" break on an ancient Gregory Denali and simply ordered the replacement buckle on the internet...
Been_Jammin
14ers: 58  1  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Been_Jammin »

https://www.rei.com/product/850233/sea- ... air-buckle

Sea to Summit makes replacement buckles. They are usually in stock at REI. Super easy fix.
mindfolded
14ers: 43  3 
13ers: 20 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mindfolded »

Where did you lose it? I found a rather large one on a hike yesterday and returned it to the trailhead.
jibler
14ers: 13 
13ers: 35
Trip Reports (18)

Post by jibler »

Thanks for feedback folks - i don't really know where lost because i actually haven't backpacked in a long time - but i bring it on car camping trips just to haul my crap

could be in my box of stuff too. hopefully threading the buckle back in the strap is intuitive -- because i've never been good at that.

this thing is like 30+ years old - i ain't giving up on the old bird just yet.
Keep looking up - Jack Horkheimer
crispy_asparagus
14ers: 45 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by crispy_asparagus »

Pick up one of these to swap the hip buckle out. This brand also sells a a chest buckle replacement which I bought to replace mine when I smashed it closing the car door after a long hike. It made my pack like new again.

GEAR AID Dual Adjust Buckle Kit https://a.co/d/90WS1Wq