Boots for wide feet with good traction

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Altitude High
14ers: 26 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Boots for wide feet with good traction

Post by Altitude High »

I have wide feet. My street shoe size is at least EE, and perhaps EEE. I also have modest bunions on both feet behind the big toe. So I also need a little extra room on top.

I’d love to order some quality boots, such as the Scarpa Zodiac Plus GTX. Or any number of other quality products. But alas, almost all come in a narrow size only, usually D.

My other priority is traction. I want something that will grip rock and not let go on class 3 or 4.

Any suggestions?
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Re: Boots for wide feet with good traction

Post by justiner »

Grab a pair of shoes that works for you (I assume something is working?), then get them resoled with Dot Rubber/approach shoe rubber:

https://rockandresole.com/product/resol ... ach-shoes/

That'll take care of, "but I need good grip"
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

Asolo has models that come in wide. For example:

https://www.sierra.com/asolo-made-in-eu ... width!w%2F

https://www.sierra.com/asolo-made-in-eu ... width!w%2F

I'm on about my 4th pair of the Neutrons. No fault of the boots I just was doing a ton of hiking and trashing them. Vasque and Zamberlan have some wides as well.
uwe
13ers: 45
Trip Reports (0)

Post by uwe »

Lowa fits a wide foot.
glenmiz
13ers: 121 1 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by glenmiz »

uwe wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:13 pm Lowa fits a wide foot.
+1 and be sure to try the extra-wide version; my third pair is even more of a charm.
Aim high to end high
Been_Jammin
14ers: 58  1  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Been_Jammin »

Keen Targhee III... I scramble class 3 and 4 in these a lot and the toe box is very sasquatch friendly. Grips like a champ.
larkinrx2
14ers: 35 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by larkinrx2 »

My go to boots for the last couple of pairs have been vasque

I’m 11.5-12 eeee and they have the best toe box along with the high ankle lock down to keep me from bashing in the toes on the way down
What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - That's all I need the ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, and this magazine, and the chair and I don't need one other thing, except my dog.
[Shithead growls at him]
I don't need my dog.
Ed_Groves
14ers: 25 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ed_Groves »

I have struggled to find perfect hiking shoes/boots for my wide feet. I am still wearing Merrell Moab shoes but I know they will not meet all my needs in the near future. They fit comfortably right out of the box without break-in but the soles are too flexible for more extreme climbing and the grip of their vibram sole on steep rock and scree leaves much to be desired. I tried on a pair of wide La Sportiva Ultra Raptor II Mid GTXs last December and they were still too narrow, especially in the toe box. I have heard from others that the European brands tend to be this way in their wide offerings. Of the brands mentioned here (Lowa, Asolo, Vasque) are their wide shoes more in line with the width of a wide Merrell or Keen because that is the width I need?
"Education is the process of moving from cocksure ignorance to thoughtful uncertainty." (Utvich)
Rollie Free
14ers: 45 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Rollie Free »

Ed_Groves wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:09 am I have struggled to find perfect hiking shoes/boots for my wide feet. I am still wearing Merrell Moab shoes but I know they will not meet all my needs in the near future. They fit comfortably right out of the box without break-in but the soles are too flexible for more extreme climbing and the grip of their vibram sole on steep rock and scree leaves much to be desired. I tried on a pair of wide La Sportiva Ultra Raptor II Mid GTXs last December and they were still too narrow, especially in the toe box. I have heard from others that the European brands tend to be this way in their wide offerings. Of the brands mentioned here (Lowa, Asolo, Vasque) are their wide shoes more in line with the width of a wide Merrell or Keen because that is the width I need?
Same experience with me Ed, I had some Moab's that felt like coming home when I tried them on at the store. On the trail they were like ice skates.
I am in the enviable position of having to scrounge not for what I want but what they have. Try asking for a 14 wide. Not much of a demand so it's hard to find. Went into a large outdoor retailer and they had one, a Keen that I used once and took back as one of the seams came loose. It was a very pricy shoe so I wasn't in the mood to put up with that.
One that I found both comfortable and grippy general purpose was an Oboz Sawtooth. And they come in a large wide although I had to scour the internet to find one. One drawback is that they are pretty average wear wise. Expect to go through a few pairs. I am accepting of that if they perform well.

I do have a pair of LaSportiva approach shoes that I could only find in a 13.5. They are not wides but my understanding of approach shoes is you don't want extra room as it impedes their purpose. I used them once last year and they were great. Wouldn't want to use them for a long hike though.
"Quicker than I can tell it, my hands failed to hold, my feet slipped, and down I went with almost an arrow’s rapidity. An eternity of thought, of life, of death, wife, and home concentrated on my mind in those two seconds. Fortunately for me, I threw my right arm around a projecting boulder which stood above the icy plain some two or three feet." Rev. Elijah Lamb
seano
14ers: 56 
13ers: 218
Trip Reports (3)

Post by seano »

Altra makes some high-top shoes that work well for a friend with wide feet. Their marketing schtick is something about a wide toe box letting your foot swim around, which is terrible for scrambling, but if your feet are wide, they may be appropriately snug, and are otherwise decent. No guarantees, but they’re worth a shot.
joemcglinchy
14ers: 47  1 
13ers: 21 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by joemcglinchy »

Not sure how wide you're talking, but I find vasque breeze to be comfortable for me and that carried over to a pair of la sportiva TX hike and also their trangos. I had previously found most la sportivas, asolos, too be too tight around the forefoot.

The soles on these are all pretty good. For the hiking boots if you're trying to smear up a blank slab maybe not as much, but if you have even a small nubbin to lock into they are fine. If you're really worried about traction, look at a pair of approach shoes. I wish 5.10 made their guide tennies in the mid height but they don't anymore!
andrewhamilton
14ers: 58  2  58 
13ers: 95
Trip Reports (3)

Post by andrewhamilton »

seano wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:38 am Altra makes some high-top shoes that work well for a friend with wide feet. Their marketing schtick is something about a wide toe box letting your foot swim around, which is terrible for scrambling, but if your feet are wide, they may be appropriately snug, and are otherwise decent. No guarantees, but they’re worth a shot.
I think you are talking about the shoes i have used for a couple of years, the Altra Lone Peak all weather Mid. They are light and have solved some issues i get when wearing narrow shoes. Pros are they are very light. Cons i think the water proofness of the fabric is a joke, and i basically wear out one pair per year. I wouldnt necessarily say they have the best traction but probably worth looking at. When they were new they were very grippy on mount Morrison which is a loose crappy trail.