14er stomach prep

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
wushock316
14ers: 57 
Trip Reports (1)

Re: 14er stomach prep

Post by wushock316 »

For me the excitement/anxiety is what used to do it for me. Along with poor food choices. Waking up early with an unhappy stomach before it could digest all the food. And then the anxiety. I never threw up but all would always have the urge to and just felt crappy for the 1st hour or so.
Took a food allergy test and cut out all the foods that my body doesnt like. Which helped in many ways, including less anxiety in general.
I also started hunting and fishing more.....so now I wake up at 3 to 5am atleast once a week, all year with similar excitement as going on a climb.
Havent had any real issues in the last few years
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

justiner wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:52 pm Perpetuem has been hard to find (although you could just make your own...).
I'm down to three single packs, but rev. 2.0 is almost there. Hammer website says "expected in stock 8/12" (they don't say what year).

Tapioca Maltodextrin this time, probably because non-GMO corn doesn't exist any more. The name of the Devil is/was Monsanto.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

cedica wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:22 am I'm down to three single packs, but rev. 2.0 is almost there. Hammer website says "expected in stock 8/12" (they don't say what year).

Tapioca Maltodextrin this time, probably because non-GMO corn doesn't exist any more. The name of the Devil is/was Monsanto.
Interesting. Tapioca Maltodextrin is like $10/kilo, so it should be enlightening to see what Hammer charges for their concoction.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

I've had some stomach issues especially on those early morning Alpine starts where you're up 4 - 6 hours earlier than my normal wake up time and then push up a mountain. Often by getting a later start or at least better sleep, my stomach feels better on average.
Wildernessjane
14ers: 58  13  46 
13ers: 256 23 19
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Wildernessjane »

I sometimes feel this way if I get rolling a little too fast first thing in the morning, especially if I’m getting up much earlier than normal. Starting out slowly to both “warm up” and “wake up” seems to make the difference for me. Also second the suggestions to experiment with putting off food intake just a bit to see if that makes a difference. I also swear by Hammer Perpetuem powder (never had any issues with it causing reflux or problems finding it - I just resupplied at a local cycling shop). Hammer’s Recoverite product is great too.
“Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world.” -David McCullough?
RockiesAdrian
14ers: 58  1 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RockiesAdrian »

Your stomach produces more acid at altitude, and that is a common cause for gastric distress. I suffer from this symptom from time to time, though rarely when waking up from camping. It's why my first aid kit always contains antacid.

That said, to prep for such expected fluctuations, I would consider a regimen of proton pump inhibitors, which tamp down your stomach's ability to produce the problematic acid before it happens. You might want to advise your doctor just to be safe, but they are over the counter and quite low risk. One important caveat is that you need to build them up in your system over time, so I would take them daily for the entire week leading up to the hike.

Of course, dehydration could be a factor leading to this nausea, but usually people hiking these peaks are keenly attentive to that, so I assume it's not the issue.
In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

RockiesAdrian wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:09 am Your stomach produces more acid at altitude, and that is a common cause for gastric distress. I suffer from this symptom from time to time, though rarely when waking up from camping. It's why my first aid kit always contains antacid.

That said, to prep for such expected fluctuations, I would consider a regimen of proton pump inhibitors, which tamp down your stomach's ability to produce the problematic acid before it happens. You might want to advise your doctor just to be safe, but they are over the counter and quite low risk. One important caveat is that you need to build them up in your system over time, so I would take them daily for the entire week leading up to the hike.
I'd be careful with these. And ironically most of the side effects from PPI's are the same symptoms of altitude sickness.
Wildernessjane
14ers: 58  13  46 
13ers: 256 23 19
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Wildernessjane »

nyker wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:34 pm
RockiesAdrian wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:09 am Your stomach produces more acid at altitude, and that is a common cause for gastric distress. I suffer from this symptom from time to time, though rarely when waking up from camping. It's why my first aid kit always contains antacid.

I'd be careful with these. And ironically most of the side effects from PPI's are the same symptoms of altitude sickness.
Yeah, I agree. Plus if the OP is like many people I know, he or she gets out almost every weekend so that means we are now taking PPI’s pretty much all the time. Best look into the potential long terms side effects of taking these because they are not trivial.
“Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world.” -David McCullough?
onebyone
14ers: 58  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by onebyone »

Wildernessjane wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:15 pm
nyker wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:34 pm

Yeah, I agree. Plus if the OP is like many people I know, he or she gets out almost every weekend so that means we are now taking PPI’s pretty much all the time. Best look into the potential long terms side effects of taking these because they are not trivial.
Plus, if these are panic attacks, then that stuff is not going to help you much and will do nothing to solve the bigger problem. I think a lot of people in this thread are confusing regular stomach issues with what might might be going on here. Anyhow, you need to start ruling out stuff one thing at a time either way. I think OP's gut instinct is it's an anxiety attack (like my pun!). Start there and if that is ruled out, then move on to other possibilities.
speth
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 44
Trip Reports (3)

Post by speth »

onebyone wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:27 pmI think OP's gut instinct is it's an anxiety attack (like my pun!).
Ugh, +10 points for you, this one literally got me to chuckle.

All I want is to just have fun, live my life like a son of a gun
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.