Car Camping Mattresses

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
CheapCigarMan
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 108 2
Trip Reports (1)

Car Camping Mattresses

Post by CheapCigarMan »

I typically blow up an air mattress when car camping but have been looking for alternatives.
Verlo Mattress Co makes custom mattresses but are now closed in Denver. I’m disappointed as I thought they’d be able to make a light foam mattress that would fit the back of my SUV.

Any tips on what I can do or where to get such a “mattress”?
Last edited by CheapCigarMan on Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I should be on a mountain
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Re: Car Camping Mattresses

Post by HikerGuy »

I use a queen size 2-inch memory foam mattress topper folded in half. It's starting wear out as it was used on a bed prior to being repurposed. I've thought about buying a twin size 4-inch topper and trimming it to fit my layout.

For a truck, I would look into RV mattresses, I think that is what you are looking for, they have weird sizes and would probably pair up with a truck bed. For an SUV, a bunk-sized RV mattress may work. Search on Amazon to see all the different widths and lengths (there are a ton).

EDIT: You got me thinking about getting something nicer. It looks like I can fit a 30x75 RV bunk mattress in my Hyundai Santa Fe (passenger seat all the way forward and cooler in back seat foot well. 30x75 is also called a narrow twin, a lot of options in that size. HikerGuy may be sleeping real good next season, haha.
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 653 120 15
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

I just ordered this mattress, haven't received it yet, but seems nice. Also excited to upgrade my sleeping accommodations. Now I use a thick memory foam mattress, but it's heavy and hard to clean.
https://www.steepandcheap.com/stoic-dou ... d-camp-bed
Last edited by SnowAlien on Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buckie06
14ers: 56  3  4 
13ers: 18 1 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Buckie06 »

I have a 4" mattress topper that fits my Xterra perfectly. It is 2" of memory foam and 2" of high density foam. If you're a side sleeper I'd recommend a 5" or 6" so you don't bottom out.
kwhit24
14ers: 51  2 
13ers: 182 2
Trip Reports (7)

Post by kwhit24 »

I used to use a sleeping pad but they typically deflated so I got this Willpo CertiPUR-US Memory Foam Camping Mattress (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CZZMLYW?ps ... ct_details)

It barely fits in my Edge. I went back and forth between the 30" and 38" (both 75" long) and ended up getting the 30" because I can still put up my single seat in the back if I want without removing it. It is only 2.75" thick but I really like it after using it 5-6 times so far.

Side note: The pup loves it when we are driving around especially after a long hike
Attachments
IMG_2845.JPEG
IMG_2845.JPEG (172.19 KiB) Viewed 2990 times
Last edited by kwhit24 on Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
"In anticipation of tomorrow don't lose sight of today"

IG: kwhit.24
griddles
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by griddles »

Depends on the SUV you have. An exped mat fits great in my outback and sleeps great.
https://www.rei.com/product/171116/expe ... eeping-pad
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor »

You could always make your own and get exactly what you want. It's not like all these pop up tent companies make their own foam....

Sailrite carries most of the items in bulk, you can also check local upholstery companies as well (I use western upholstery supply off of i70 and steele).

https://www.sailrite.com/High-Density-P ... -x-48-x-80

My wife's family is from Utah and they often find odds and ends foam at NPS. https://npsstore.com/

Just a thought to piece together exactly what you want and need for potentially the same or less money.
seano
14ers: 56 
13ers: 218
Trip Reports (3)

Post by seano »

I’ve had several mattresses, and learned a few things along the way. 6” memory foam is incredibly comfortable, but really eats into your headroom, especially if you have a platform. You probably want something waterproof so it won’t grow mold underneath. A twin mattress topper is just about the right size for the back of an SUV. And inflatable things always pop.
JaredJohnson
14ers: 28  5 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (3)

Post by JaredJohnson »

Amazon has a bunch of cheap Chinese air mattresses that wouldn't be very interesting except that they are shaped especially for the back seat of cars or SUVs and they come with two additional inflatable cubes designed to sit on the floor behind the front seats, so that you can lay the mattress on top of them turning the whole back seat area into a mattress. I've got one and had a good night in a rental with it, ymmv
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

I got tired of inflating my big air mattress that wasn't very warm anyways, because it had too much volume.

Ended up swapping to this, comes with its own inflator and pillow, and is comfortable for a side sleeper.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09HG ... UTF8&psc=1
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
-wren-
14ers: 51  3 
13ers: 109 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by -wren- »

i use an old foam matress topper that was tucked away in the laundry room of my parents' old place when they moved out. Its nothing fancy but it gets the job done :lol:
EigenDylan
14ers: 16  4 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (0)

Post by EigenDylan »

After accidentally exploding my sleeping pad by leaving it inflated driving over some pass (very loud and scary do not recommend), I got a memory foam mattress topper from Walmart for like $20. Way better than the inflatable pad in both comfort and ease of use.