The end of the In-Reach?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
MaxmimumMills4
14ers: 25 
Trip Reports (2)

The end of the In-Reach?

Post by MaxmimumMills4 »

Today Apple released the iPhone 14. From the NYT-

“…. the iPhone 14, an introductory-priced phone that costs $800. The phone features last year’s processor, which reduces the costs of components for Apple. It also has improved front and rear cameras with larger sensors to capture clearer photos in low light.

It adds the capabilities of a satellite phone, giving people the ability to connect with emergency services in rural and remote environments so that they can get help if they are lost while hiking or find themselves in some other dire situation.“

I love my satellite communicator and prefer to use it on hikes where I don’t bring my phone. It will be interesting to see what happens as this technology rolls out. I hope it won’t lead to an overuse of emergency services but of course you always want people to ask for help when needed. Any thoughts? Are you ending your Garmin subscription any time soon?
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Re: The end of the In-Reach?

Post by justiner »

iPhone is using GlobalStar so that's a big no from me, dawg.

I think it is an overall win and I do believe this will save lives.
martinleroux
14ers: 28 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (2)

Post by martinleroux »

For now it looks like iPhone satellite messaging is limited to communicating with SOS responders. It's not general-purpose two-way messaging, and you can't use it to send out periodic trackpoints. It's also limited to the US and Canada, and apparently it doesn't work well above 62°N. It looks like it'll appeal to people who would like to be able to send out an SOS in an emergency, but don't use satellite messaging enough to justify the cost of an InReach.
IntrepidXJ
14ers: 34 
13ers: 63
Trip Reports (90)

Post by IntrepidXJ »

justiner wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:56 pm iPhone is using GlobalStar so that's a big no from me, dawg.
I've been using a SPOT device since at least 2008 and send messages and tracks every weekend and all my messages have always gone through quickly.
Randy Langstraat | ADVENTR.co
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

It’s not clear to me whether or not Apple will also provide the non-emergency text communications that we currently have through In-Reach or Spot. If it’s only for contacting emergency services, then obviously it won’t replace the other devices. If Apple does end up offering all of the tracking and SOS services we currently get from those, expect the underlying service and connectivity to ultimately improve. Apple has money and lots of smart people.

I’m a strong believer in backup capabilities so I resist trying to get everything to my shinny smartphone even though it saves some weight. I still, always, Always carry a real GPS on hikes but often track on my phone. I doubt I’ll shed my personal locator any time soon.

TBD…
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

martinleroux wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:12 pm For now it looks like iPhone satellite messaging is limited to communicating with SOS responders. It's not general-purpose two-way messaging, and you can't use it to send out periodic trackpoints. It's also limited to the US and Canada, and apparently it doesn't work well above 62°N. It looks like it'll appeal to people who would like to be able to send out an SOS in an emergency, but don't use satellite messaging enough to justify the cost of an InReach.
+1
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

IntrepidXJ wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:15 pm I've been using a SPOT device since at least 2008 and send messages and tracks every weekend and all my messages have always gone through quickly.
It was my experience that switching from a SPOT to an inReach was a good overall in getting satellite tracking to function properly. Perhaps news that Apple is to use 85% of the GlobalStar satellite network capacity will make things less bad (by investing in infrastructure).
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

I use an Android phone that costs $200 and pay about $8/month for my phone service, each of which is about half what my Inreach Mini costs. I doubt if I'll ditch those and get an $800 phone instead...
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

it's a big plus. there may be limitations in the beginning, but ultimately i imagine there will be improvements and upgrades that will put it on par or better what you can get on a standalone device, like they've done with carplay for example. SOS functionality may be basic to begin with, but i'll be curious to see how much they open up the satellite connectivity for other apps to use in the future. it's fun to imagine the possibilities.

i've got the inreach mini paired with my iphone, but who wants to use 2 separate devices if you can get the same functionality from a single one? plus being able to communicate by voice (as opposed to text), that alone is functionality that an inreach or spot can't replicate. and there are a lot of situations where communicating with SAR by voice would be much easier, quicker and safer than typing. how many of us stick the device in our pack which we might not even be able to get to in an accident, even if we know we shouldn't? now you can just yell out "Siri, Help! I've fallen and I can't get up!"
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

timisimaginary wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:28 pm but who wants to use 2 separate devices if you can get the same functionality from a single one?
When it comes to emergency communications, me.
Always
Bombay2Boulder
14ers: 56  3 
13ers: 269 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Bombay2Boulder »

There was a big emphasis on having clear skies during their presentation. This is a welcome technology for folks who only do the occasional recreation, but for actual reliability it will be a few iterations away to where it can be comparable to an inreach.
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

BillMiddlebrook wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:36 pm
timisimaginary wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:28 pm but who wants to use 2 separate devices if you can get the same functionality from a single one?
When it comes to emergency communications, me.
Always
but how many satellite communicators are you using now? do you take 2 inreaches, or both an inreach and a spot? most people going out there don't even bring 1; 2 feels like overkill to me.
when i go somewhere with my inreach, i always have my phone too, but that's still only 1 satellite capable device. i don't even consider the phone a secondary emergency device, since cell service is so unreliable in most remote places.

if you feel like you need a backup it probably has more to do with lack of trust in the iphone's capabilities, battery life or ability to withstand damage. the last 2 can be mitigated; bring a fully charged power bank (which i would want for the garmin anyway) and put the phone in a protective case. time will tell with regard to capabilities. the initial versions of this thing aren't going to be functional enough to replace what a dedicated device can do, but it's a fair bet that eventually it will be.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin