Sleeping Bags and Winter Camping

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (20)

Re: Sleeping Bags and Winter Camping

Post by Kiefer »

Snow_Dog_frassati wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:10 pm Somehow I don't feel like I've seen a lot of threads on winter camping here but maybe I just haven't been around long enough.

What do y'all think is an appropriate sleeping bag temperature rating for Colorado? I'm considering a Western Mountaineering 5° bag as an in-between for my -25 and my 20°. I have had fantastic experiences with westie as far as warmth and build quality but I'm curious what others use
Right now the plan for my core gear items is a Black Diamond/Bibler Eldorado tent, the Westie and a 50L touring pack from Mammut. I'll primarily be doing overnight ski tours.
Some good quality advice from da peeps here! :)

Personally, when I'm considering winter gear, with sleeping bags, there's only two things I pay attention to: fill rating and temperature rating. Anything else imo is just static.
Higher quality down can capture more air pockets and hold onto it longer creating a more enveloped cocoon of warm air. Lesser down-rated bags (550+) won't perform as better as 850+ rated.
Down is rated by measuring its 'loft' in a tube. So a lower rated REI piece at 600 will fill 600 cubic inches of 'loft' in the tube for every cubic inch down cluster. A more expensive option from Mont Bell or
Western Mountaineering at 950, using the same down clusters, will fill 950 cubic inches. On the microscopic level, the down feathers branch out more with more branches being able to interlock and interlace
providing a greater ability to trap those miniscule air pockets.
Having said that, buying a 800+ rated bag from say Columbia vs. Feathered Friends or Mont Bell, I'm spending the extra money & buying FF or such. Down-rating aside, when comparing different brands (well or top-shelf :wink: ), you're
paying for better construction, better stitching and more intelligent baffling (which is the third important thing you should pay attention to).

AND, in Colorado, most of the time, a super low-rated bag like -20° is going to be overkill. Granted it gets cold here, but it's not the norm.
If you're an average cold-weather sleeper like most folks, buying a 5° bag with wearing light, night time sleeping apparel will be enough. I use a WM Kodiak bag for the cold nights and an old MH Phantom 32° for the other times.
And of course, don't skimp on that pad. You can lose as much as 60% of your body heat to the ground if your pad isn't insulated enough/proper thickness/material.

Tent.....That's another topic. But in general for winter tents, the Cliff Notes I use for shopping is: Denir value, Ripstop and # of poles. Anything else like: thread count, coatings, internal features, vestibules etc. are fluff.
While they can sway me on deciding between 2-3 similar tents, they're not what I base my decision on. I base my decisions on worst case scenario, not creature comforts or bells/whistles.
I use a Nemo Chogori for winter camping.
myfeetrock
14ers: 37  1 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by myfeetrock »

Sorry to jump in on this conversation, but I love winter camping myself. While I'm not on the same level of gear you guys are on, I'm also not using the gear I have for mountaineering. I do have a Rustic Ridge Outfitter -35 bag I picked up at Sportsmans Warehouse, and a Teton Sport outfitter sleeping pad. Years back I camped out in the Flat Tops south of Buford for Christmas. I had a load of fun. It was -20 both nights, and I froze my butt off. I hiked out on Christmas day to snow, and bald eagles flying overhead. That was 2004. Last winter I started going north of Glenwood Springs with the gear listed above, and stayed toasty this time. The tent is just a 3 season tent, but works well. Weight isn't an issue since I use a snowmobile to get where I'm going. I'm looking forward to this winter! Anyway. I'll leave you guys alone.
John619
14ers: 16  7 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by John619 »

I've used a -10 degree Western Mountaineering bag for most of my winter trips the past 30 years along with a old style thermarest with a 2nd closed cell pad underneath.
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 653 119 15
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

I've had MH Phantom 0 degree sleeping bag over the last 10 years and it's been adequate. It very slowly got less warm, but I typically don't camp if overnight temps are below 10 degrees. If it's really cold, I'll wear all my other layers, including down puffy. I think it's a great weight/warmth ratio, I never wanted to carry a heavier bag in winter. For the pad, I have Neoair Xtherm and it's fantastic.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

I've found this is a tough discussion because everyone has a different internal thermostat as it were and some sleep better cold and some sleep better warm, and some people tend to be warm sleepers and some cold sleepers!
Also bags from different manufacturers often perform differently despite the same ratings.
I've used my WM bag rated to 10*F and was pretty good down to about zero/single digits, using a closed cell pad and inflatable on top, in a four season tent.
As others mention, you can tweak the setup by sleeping in other layers, hat, socks, buff around your neck, etc.
The couple nights where it didn't work well were more related to me being sleeping too high an elevation and not properly acclimatized so I was not feeling great and was cold to start, that was more user-error than the bag/pad/tent combo.
Exiled Michigander
14ers: 58  7 
Trip Reports (20)

Post by Exiled Michigander »

I have a 12 degree (F) bag, but I always use two sleeping pads in cold conditions (one Klymit inflating and a Thermacell closed-cell foam). I throw a couple chemical handwarmers (one by my feet, one under my back) in my bag and sleep incredibly comfortable down to about -5. Below that I get cold though. For me, the secret is two pads and the handwarmers. Both make a huge difference.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Plus extra warm socks or booties.
blazintoes
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 327 3 73
Trip Reports (16)

Post by blazintoes »

This bag has been on many winter and/or cold camping trips in Colorado, California, Utah, Oregon, Washington and Alaska. Western Mountaineering fan all the way.
https://www.westernmountaineering.com/s ... ultralite/

Having been through many combinations of bags, pads and tents I am happiest and perform best when I feel rested going light and fast that said, I'm also a bivy fan. There is an art to bivouacing (I just made that word up) and the best bag I've used this year is: https://katabaticgear.com/products/bristlecone-bivy

Bivy's are light weight, pack easy, less hassle, trap in warmth and hold heat better than a tent. My bivy is water-resistant with a breathable ripstop nylon that reduces condensation thus keeping me drier and more comfortable inside. Condensation in winter is a beast and time consuming when done wrong with the wrong equipment. When I sleep with my WM bag, bivy and the NeoAir Thermarest and a warm up Nalgene by feet I perform well.

A pic of my set up before attempting Trinity Pk.
Attachments
bivy.jpg
bivy.jpg (56.48 KiB) Viewed 1093 times
JohnnyLeadville
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JohnnyLeadville »

-20 advisable IMHO... for the insulation of course, but also because you'll want all of the little flaps and and velcro seals to seal you in at night. You'll notice the cold coming in through any gap. You'll find better stuff like that on the colder bags I think. A good pad has got to be worth at least 20 degrees too.