carrying water in winter

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Robbie Crouse
14ers: 33  5 
13ers: 22 7
Trip Reports (0)

Re: carrying water in winter

Post by Robbie Crouse »

I use Body Armor Lyte (more carbs and vitamins than Gatorade/Powerade Zero but still low on sugar and sodium) + powder mixes of True Nutrition Highly Branched Cyclic Dextrin (long-lasting carbs) and Nutricost Pure L-Citrulline (nitrate supplement). It does double duty of keeping the freezing point a bit lower and giving fuel.

It's not going to lower the freezing point a lot, but honestly any solute would do the job (I've used Chrystal Light). The solute interferes with the crystallization/bonding process -- you just need to make sure it dissolves and there are no "floaties."
aholle88
14ers: 57  24  26 
13ers: 300 29 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by aholle88 »

Kiefer wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:10 am
aholle88 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:02 am
Will_E wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:16 pm I don’t drink water unless it’s the only option (Chi Basin was only winter trip this applied), I take 3-5 bottles of Powerade zero, it seems to have a lower freezing point than water, *and* tastes way better. I keep them all in my pack except 1 that I put in my shirt, body heat keeps it plenty warm. Never had issue with the other bottles completely freezing, they’ll freeze just a little but thaw out quick enough once they move into the shirt rotation.
I also use the Powerade or Gatorade Zeros. I’m rarely out for more than 8hrs in winter (usually just BC skiing) so this works well. Never had issues with them freezing. If I’m out longer than that, it’s usually because Jthechem has peer pressured me into a big trip and he has the stove which is very nice. Warm water is a treat when you’re out in the cold all day.
Innocent question here.
I get taking Powerade (zero) with you in winter. While the sugar is minimal at best (though it does have salt lowing the freezing point), why would you take a drink with you that has
zero calories when in winter, your body NEEDS the calories for the harder work you're undertaking? :-k
Truly there’s no great reason besides I like food. And I have my kcals/sugars dialed from food, eating every 45-60min, about 35-50g of carbs and 600-900mg of salt. Could I just use a Gatorade in place of my little food bag? Sure. And it would even be marginally lighter. But I can eat at regular intervals all day with food in my pockets. In winter I don’t typically drink as much so I want liquid without calories so I can drink it anytime so it doesn’t have to coincide with my food timing. If that makes any sense. Plus I am just anti sugar drinks, soda, juice, Gatorade whatever. Kind of hypocritical since I’m alternating gummy bears, m&m’s, and Oreo Peanut butter sandwiches for food intake, but whatever :lol:
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor »

kojirushi thermoses - one with hot tea and one with a hot soup. The soup usually consists of home made stock, chicken, potatoes, garlic, ginger, celery, onions etc. I also haven't had a problem with just throwing a nalgene in my pack either. I drink a ton of water in the summer, but in the winter I get away with consuming a lot less fluids.
Micaiah
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Micaiah »

For one day winter outings up to 14ish hours, I take 2 Nalgene bottles. I fill each with boiling water, and add 2 table spoons of honey (may lower the freezing point, but I do it for the calories). I put one bottle in an OR bottle parka, and wrap the other in my belay puffy. Probably only stop to take a drink every 2 hours or more. I also drink 1 liter in the 45 minutes before starting up trail.
Hydration bladders are more trouble than they are worth in the winter. 190lbs, for reference. If the outing is likely to need more water than that, I'm carrying 1 liter and a stove.