carrying water in winter

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Re: carrying water in winter

Post by daway8 »

DestroyMySweater wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:56 pm
daway8 wrote: But for the crazy cold sub-zero days I use a GSI microlite (a super lightweight thermos type bottle). I'll stuff it down into a pair of wool socks and then stick that down into two neoprene water bottle sleeves that I keep clipped to the harness on my pack. I have a carabiner that clips the handle of the bottle to the clips holding the sleeves onto the pack so it can't fall out accidently. Just unclip and unscrew to drink.
David, this seems like a good system. Do you happen to have a picture of it? By "harness" do you mean your shoulder straps? Also, glad I'm not the only one hating to get the pack off for a drink.
Oops, yeah, shoulder straps (I've been in the climbing gym 2 nights in a row so I had harnesses on the mind...)

I staged a couple quick photos to give the idea - when moving the handle is clipped into the carabineer and I pull the socks up over the top. To drink, push the socks down, unclip and you have easy access. (But obviously wear warmer clothes on the trail! :lol: )
Screenshot_20220921-210828.png
Screenshot_20220921-210828.png (1019.73 KiB) Viewed 872 times
Istoodupthere
14ers: 43  1 
13ers: 27 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Istoodupthere »

DestroyMySweater wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:59 pm For those of you carrying your bottles inside your jacket or inner layers - are these 1 liter bottles? Man, my pockets in my fleece and puffy are that big. I'm not sure I could get a bigger bottle in there, and that seems really uncomfortable. And Ptglhs, a 2.5 L bladder inside your inner layers? Man alive. I guess I just need to try it....
Just the standard 16.9 oz ones. It’s just small enough to fit inside my puffy pocket
blazintoes
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 327 3 73
Trip Reports (16)

Post by blazintoes »

I MacGyvred my own
Attachments
0DCCCBC5-E32D-4D85-8259-C9C036F27354.jpeg
0DCCCBC5-E32D-4D85-8259-C9C036F27354.jpeg (190.39 KiB) Viewed 807 times
JtheChemE
Trip Reports (4)

Post by JtheChemE »

blazintoes wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:14 am I MacGyvred my own
I have something similar. Nalgene makes a foil lined insulated sleeve. I modified one to accept the 1.5L UL nalgene. I boil 2-1/2 L the water morning of the outing, throw in electrolyte powder to suppress the freezing point. Sometimes I keep 1L clipped to the gear loop on my pack, but usually I keep all the water in my bag with my down parka stuffed around. I've never had my water freeze using this mehod, though sometimes it can get a bit slushy towards the end of the day.

2-1/2L for me has usually been enough for most moderate objectives, but for some of the longer "day trips" I end up melting snow at some point if there isn't open water. It doesn't take long.

I always carry a stove in winter, with rare exception. It's not a huge weight penalty, and the ability to melt snow or boil water for bottles in the event of an unplanned night out could be critical if things go awry.
DestroyMySweater
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DestroyMySweater »

That's awesome, David. Thanks. Where did you get your neoprene bottle holders? Is this the thermos you use: https://gsioutdoors.com/microlite-500-flip.html?
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

DestroyMySweater wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:58 am That's awesome, David. Thanks. Where did you get your neoprene bottle holders? Is this the thermos you use: https://gsioutdoors.com/microlite-500-flip.html?
The flip is the one I use for my hot apple cider - the twist is the one I hang from my straps since I can clip that on (the flip top one has no easy way to secure it).

I'm pretty sure I just picked up those neoprene holders at REI a ways back. Or just Google neoprene water bottle sleeve and you'll find a lot of options.

Good luck!
aholle88
14ers: 57  24  26 
13ers: 300 29 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by aholle88 »

Will_E wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:16 pm I don’t drink water unless it’s the only option (Chi Basin was only winter trip this applied), I take 3-5 bottles of Powerade zero, it seems to have a lower freezing point than water, *and* tastes way better. I keep them all in my pack except 1 that I put in my shirt, body heat keeps it plenty warm. Never had issue with the other bottles completely freezing, they’ll freeze just a little but thaw out quick enough once they move into the shirt rotation.
I also use the Powerade or Gatorade Zeros. I’m rarely out for more than 8hrs in winter (usually just BC skiing) so this works well. Never had issues with them freezing. If I’m out longer than that, it’s usually because Jthechem has peer pressured me into a big trip and he has the stove which is very nice. Warm water is a treat when you’re out in the cold all day.
dwoodward13
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 157 6
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dwoodward13 »

Thats crazy the OR bottle parkas are that expensive now. I paid around 20 bucks a few years ago.

Another thought I've had for carrying bottles is to get some sort of fanny pack to put the bottle in. You could keep the bottle in a sock/parka or whatever and stuff the whole thing in a fanny pack. Would keep it a bit more insulated, prevent any swinging, and you could still have it easily accessible. You'd need to wear it above your waist belt? so that may be uncomfortable, not sure. Or I guess you could wear it more like a sling bag, although it may bounce more in that configuration?

Just another idea.

40 Below also makes a series of water bottle parkas that are a bit cheaper that the OR models.

https://40below.com/product-category/mo ... rty-below/
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

I believe that Gatorade et al freezes slower than just water, I can't find uh...: "research" on just how much slower. Is it minutes, or is it hours?

The other stupid human trick I do to extend my water from freezing is keep that boiling water in that double-walled vacuum thermos, and when I need to pick up water on the route, I'll mix the nearly freezing water with the now-tepid water I've been carrying, and put that in the Nalgene to drink from, keeping the hotter water for the next time I refill.

For my Longs Peak trips, I'm usually starting from town, and it's ~5 hours to the trailhead. There's usually water there, but it's at an almost freezing temp. Stupid as these tricks are, they've been working alright for me for ~12 hour+ days.

Since I do take a lot water from the field, knowing where that water is can also help. Also being ready to be disappointed that it's all frozen is... a good thing to practice.
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (20)

Post by Kiefer »

aholle88 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:02 am
Will_E wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:16 pm I don’t drink water unless it’s the only option (Chi Basin was only winter trip this applied), I take 3-5 bottles of Powerade zero, it seems to have a lower freezing point than water, *and* tastes way better. I keep them all in my pack except 1 that I put in my shirt, body heat keeps it plenty warm. Never had issue with the other bottles completely freezing, they’ll freeze just a little but thaw out quick enough once they move into the shirt rotation.
I also use the Powerade or Gatorade Zeros. I’m rarely out for more than 8hrs in winter (usually just BC skiing) so this works well. Never had issues with them freezing. If I’m out longer than that, it’s usually because Jthechem has peer pressured me into a big trip and he has the stove which is very nice. Warm water is a treat when you’re out in the cold all day.
Innocent question here.
I get taking Powerade (zero) with you in winter. While the sugar is minimal at best (though it does have salt lowing the freezing point), why would you take a drink with you that has
zero calories when in winter, your body NEEDS the calories for the harder work you're undertaking? :-k

Personally, for expected longer days, I'll mix my water with orange juice, some Mountain Dew, potassium powder, Emergency-C and maybe a scoop of protein powder depending on the
expected temperatures, mileage and route.
k_fergie
14ers: 58  2  1 
13ers: 160 34 6
Trip Reports (5)

Post by k_fergie »

Kiefer wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:10 am
Innocent question here.
I get taking Powerade (zero) with you in winter. While the sugar is minimal at best (though it does have salt lowing the freezing point), why would you take a drink with you that has
zero calories when in winter, your body NEEDS the calories for the harder work you're undertaking? :-k

Personally, for expected longer days, I'll mix my water with orange juice, some Mountain Dew, potassium powder, Emergency-C and maybe a scoop of protein powder depending on the
Now THAT is some sport drink proprietary mix right there haha!
I thought, I taught, I wrought
Will_E
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 215 37
Trip Reports (21)

Post by Will_E »

Kiefer wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:10 am
aholle88 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:02 am
Innocent question here.

It’s just what I always drink while hiking. You’re probably right, maybe I’ll try the regular Powerade this winter.