Carson Black

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
marksilas
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 426 4
Trip Reports (0)

Carson Black

Post by marksilas »

Carson Black of Colorado Springs recently passed away. He was in failing health for a number of years. He finished Colorado's 200 highest in 2012. I climbed with him several times in the Pikes Peak region. There are others on this website that climbed with him as well. I think he was with Spencer Swanger when they did the first ascent of "Thunder Pyramid".
Mark Silas
Mtnman200
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 440
Trip Reports (85)

Re: Carson Black

Post by Mtnman200 »

I’m sorry to hear about Carson. Yes, he was part of the first ascent of Thunder Pyramid.
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

I only climbed with him once many years ago. We did Bard which was one of his last few bicentennials and I somehow convinced him we should do Englemann too. Fun day and he was great to climb with and I was kind of in awe of him. Darin Baker was there too. 2005 or so I think?

I'm sorry to hear of his passing. He always seemed like an awesome guy from every story I heard.
Last edited by Jon Frohlich on Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
globreal
14ers: 58  1  26 
13ers: 198 2 6
Trip Reports (61)

Post by globreal »

The name Carson Black has come up many, many times during my conversations with climbing friends. He was also spoken of as a climbing legend worthy of true respect.
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

This one really sucks. A guy that I have looked up to for so many years, and was, is, an inspiration to me. Carson and I had hiked many peaks together, and spent a great amount of time together for many years. I never knew him to have a bad day or be moody. Always smiling, easy going, and very kind.
I miss you Carson, and I love you for being who you were to me and being my friend. I'm sorry I wasn't around the last few years, I just didn't have the courage to see you fade.
Alzheimers is a horrible way for anyone to go through.

Carson on #200 Tijeras May 2012.jpg
Carson on #200 Tijeras May 2012.jpg (391.68 KiB) Viewed 6740 times

Carson in Y couloir June 2009.jpg
Carson in Y couloir June 2009.jpg (139.65 KiB) Viewed 6740 times
Carson at Sand Dunes Oct 2009.jpg
Carson at Sand Dunes Oct 2009.jpg (297.46 KiB) Viewed 6740 times
d_baker
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

Jon Frohlich wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:30 pm I only climbed with him once many years ago. We did Bard which was one of list few bicentennials and I somehow convinced him we should do Englemann too. Fun day and he was great to climb with and I was kind of in awe of him. Darin Baker was there too. 2005 or so I think?

I'm sorry to hear of his passing. He always seemed like an awesome guy from every story I heard.
Jon, that was October 17, 2010.

Because of Carson, I have him to thank for putting me on the road to the bicentennials. He had several dozen bi-cents remaining back in 2008 or so, and I put his short list on my to do list and many of our adventures together was chasing that list. That trip was a CMC trip that I put together, and it was one of his peaks he "needed." haha
I had so many great trips with him!
The first peak I did with him, and others, was Pilot Knob in 2004. I think the last peaks I did with him was Fitzgerald and "Tin Cup" on a quick weekday trip as I was passing through CO on my way from one state/project to another state/project, in Aug 2015.

5 days in Chicago Basin in mid-May 2010 stands out as a favorite of mine.
https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepo ... m=tripmine

But his finisher peak on Tijeras in 2012 was a lot of fun too!
https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepo ... m=tripmine

Carson was 80 years old, and would have turned 81 on November 17th.
He was still quite strong in his early 70's and was still active in his late 70's. Some of his caregivers would walk with him, and I believe they looked forward to being with him because they knew they would get in some good exercise!

Climb on Carson. I know you're still smiling, while we have a few tears flowing, but I will try to smile while being sad and missing you.

-Darin
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

Sad news. I first met Carson in 2004. I had done Redcloud and Sunshine with a group of CMCers that day, September 11th, and we hiked into American Basin afterward to do Handies. Carson's van was parked there, smoke pouring out of a stovepipe on top. He must have been cooking dinner in there.

The next day we all went up Handies, and I think Carson got a late start. He had twisted his ankle the day before and was limping, and when he caught up to me on the trail he stopped to chat for a moment, then he was off again. Incredibly fast, that guy. We did a few other peaks together, but I think that was the only 14er. I won't say I knew him well because I didn't. But he was very well-known and respected among the climbing community here in Colorado Springs.

Darin, I know you guys were very close friends, and I'm sorry for your loss. He had a good life, though.
mjsherman
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 53
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mjsherman »

Carson was my dentist when I was growing up in Colorado Springs. I then hiked with him several times when I was an adult. He ended up being a common person that Steve Gladbach knew from hiking and climbing in the Colorado Springs CMC group. This is sad news. I was not aware of his failing health. Great mentor, extraordinary climber who was in great shape all the time and a great dentist as well.
Matt
pbakwin
14ers: 56 
13ers: 64
Trip Reports (19)

Post by pbakwin »

For me this brings back a wonderful memory of my early exposure to 100 mile trail racing. I was hanging around Twin Lakes one evening in 1997, watching the Leadville 100 runners come through. Mosquitos were quite annoying, and when I saw a woman asking around for a pacer for her husband I figured why not? I ended up pacing Carson for I think 5-6 hours well into the night, ending at Halfmoon. We had a nice conversation. He was not moving as well as he would have liked, but persevered and did not complain. He was engaging, and kind to other runners who were having problems (this being 60-70 miles into the race). I had little to no experience with the whole ultra scene at the time, and it was quite an eye opener. After somehow getting back to my car at Twin in the middle of the night, getting a good sleep, shower, and breakfast, I drove into town and just caught Carson finishing the race in I think about 28 hours. Another eye opener! It boggled my mind that this guy well into his 50s had kept going for 12+ more hours while I was relaxing. I went on to run many ultras myself, but never forgot that night with Carson.
ngladbach
14ers: 57 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ngladbach »

Does anyone know if there is going to be a memorial service for Carson? I have known him for years. As Darin said, Carson never seemed to have a bad day and was always smiling and always so kind. Years ago, at Spencer's memorial service, I mentioned how sad it was to loose Spence so young. Carson said he envied him dying fit, full of life, and active. I am so sorry Carson wasn't able to pass that way too. I hope he was still happy. RIP my friend.
d_baker
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

ngladbach wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:56 am Does anyone know if there is going to be a memorial service for Carson? I have known him for years. As Darin said, Carson never seemed to have a bad day and was always smiling and always so kind. Years ago, at Spencer's memorial service, I mentioned how sad it was to loose Spence so young. Carson said he envied him dying fit, full of life, and active. I am so sorry Carson wasn't able to pass that way too. I hope he was still happy. RIP my friend.
Nona, as of now, Marian hopes to be able to do a celebration of life event around his birthday. That's all I know of at this point though.
crawfordsl
14ers: 58 
13ers: 207
Trip Reports (0)

Post by crawfordsl »

Carson was also an orienteer. He was a member of the Rocky Mountain Orienteering Club, and participated in many club orienteering events. [Orienteering - sport of map-reading and navigating by compass to control points marked on a map, and in the terrain with orange and white flags. A typical orienteering course may have 10-15 check points and take 1-2 hours to run.]

Carson, besides being a very good runner/map-reader/orienteer, was also a very good skier, and participated as well in ski-orienteering events in winter on cross-country skis. He really loved the bushwhacking legs, preferring to go straight through unbroken snow by compass between controls, rather than around on trails. Likewise in the woods on summer courses.

I remember one year at least when Carson also did Ride the Rockies - a yearly week long bicycle ride across Colorado. After each days long ride, often over a high mountain pass, when most riders were content to rest, Carson would change his bike shoes for running shoes, and go out on a run. He was amazing, really. Carson - you were a terrific person and friend, and will truly be missed. - Sharon Crawford
Sharon Crawford