Remembering Steve Hoffmeyer

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Remembering Steve Hoffmeyer

Post by TomPierce »

Crestoner wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:37 am Steve's FourteenerWorld webgroup became a great community of like-minded climbers. Thinking back, I see how so many of my friends were all brought together through that webgroup, the annual Gatherings, and countless climbs.

Thanks, Steve.
My experience was the same. I don't recall having met Steve, but I was relatively active for a year+ with 14erWorld when it was around. Really enjoyed that site, e.g. most of the posters used their real names, it seemed like a smaller group of climbers, etc. RIP Steve.

-Tom
Ulla
14ers: 37  17 
13ers: 34 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Ulla »

I also want to thank Steve for 14erworld. I had climbed a few peaks before I got involved with 14erWorld, but Steve and the other people in the group got me on them in the winter. I climbed many a 14er and other peaks with Steve, mainly in the winter! I also went to a few of the gatherings. Steve was a great guy, had a lot of passions (chess, fish, woodworking, blogging, mtn biking, road biking, etc). He will be sorely missed and I'm grateful that I met him. I have great memories of hanging out on top of Lincoln in January for an hour because it was such a lovely day. One of many great memories. Rest in Peace, Steve. Your friend, Carol Gerber
Kate D
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Kate D »

My husband Paul and I met Steve through 14erWorld years ago. We enjoyed hiking with him on several occasions, and knew we'd get a good workout just trying to keep up with him! The 14erWorld community was a great resource for us as we expanded our hiking and climbing activities. Most of our current hiking contacts came from our membership in 14erWorld. We'd like to express our sincere condolences to Steve's family and friends.
Alpinista
14ers: 55 
13ers: 53
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Alpinista »

Wow, some of these photos are a real blast from the past! Very sorry to hear about Steve's passing. 14erworld was a great resource and community for many and a real contribution to and resource in the early days of online outdoor information. Each of us can only hope to have contributed as much at the end of our own lives. May he rest in peace and his spirit live on in the mountains.

The Curmudgeon-in-Chief.
Jeff Valliere
14ers: 58  1  15 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Jeff Valliere »

I was quite surprised and saddened to learn of Steve's passing.

I signed up for 14erWorld back in 2003 at the recommendation of a co-worker, as I only had a handful of 14ers left on the list to climb, but was looking to meet experienced and competent partners as I completed the list. I was reluctant at first, as back in 2003, I found the idea of meeting people on the internet a bit strange, but right away I felt welcomed by Steve and the 14erWorld community. I met up with Steve for 14er climbs shortly after joining and we became quick friends, with lots in common on and off the mountain. Steve was a generous, caring and loyal friend and a devoted family man to his wife Val, daughter and his aging mother who he was caring for. The lasting legacy for me that will forever stand out was how he put together such a great group of people and the lasting friendships that were made through him and the site. I have met so many of my lifelong friends because of Steve and for that I will always be indebted and I feel good that I was able to express that to him before he died.

I kept in touch with Steve long after 14erWorld ended and we have met several times for dinner, but it has been some years since I had seen him, as we had trouble coordinating schedules as we took care of our families. Now I wish I had tried harder to carve time out of my busy schedule to meet up with him. Life is short, rest in peace Steve.
Rick Canter
14ers: 31 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Rick Canter »

...+1, Back in 2003, the thought of "meeting" people online was strange indeed, yet we all had so much in common. As an outsider to Colorado, Steve's 14erWorld, a pioneering website, connected me personally to climbers and their stories, fantastic photography and much more. Suddenly, the Rockies felt like they were 50 miles away instead of 1500. I went from wistfully dreaming about the Rockies to continually planning the next trip. I flew to the Fall Gathering in 2006 just to meet the people that I had already "met" and bonded with online. Steve was responsible for all of that, I am unsure he understood how influential his site was and how many lives he touched through his photography, website and writing.

I hiked with Steve once, a delightful morning stroll near Brainard Lake that I will always cherish. For me, Steve's influence is lifelong. Rest in peace, Stevo.
Kevin Baker
14ers: 58  53 
13ers: 674 32
Trip Reports (125)

Post by Kevin Baker »

I have Steve to thank for introducing me through his site to many high quality partners who I still hike with to this day. I moved to CO in 2003 from KC and soon joined the CMC and 14erworld. His site was an excellent resource for a noob like me back in the day. May he rest in peace.
Always do what you are afraid to do. -Ralph Waldo Emerson
JChitwood
14ers: 58 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JChitwood »

Wish I had met Steve and played him in a game of chess. Or gone for a mountain or road bike ride or hiked a peak. I wish I knew what happened to him and how “exercising his lifelong passion for outdoor activities” resulted in his death. RIP Steve.
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood
Jeff Valliere
14ers: 58  1  15 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Jeff Valliere »

JChitwood wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:41 pm I wish I knew what happened to him and how “exercising his lifelong passion for outdoor activities” resulted in his death. RIP Steve.
Steve suffered a brain aneurysm while out on a bike ride with friends, but unfortunately there was nothing that could be done to save him. I was noting not long before he passed that he looked as trim and fit as I had ever seen him in the 19 years that we had been friends. You just never know.

If anybody feels inclined, there is a gofundme page set up to help his family:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/steve-hoffme ... heKTwA0V7E

Thanks.
JChitwood
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JChitwood »

Thanks for sharing. Sounds like he was still hard at it into his 70’s.
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood
sue personett
13ers: 86
Trip Reports (1)

Post by sue personett »

So sad to hear this. Steve's website 14erWorld.com brought so many wonderful people together to hike and climb. I joined in the Fall of 2003 after hiking several 14ers solo. I thought I should meet some like minded people and find some hiking partners. His website helped me so much with info on mountains, climbing routes, gear etc... I met some great people at the gatherings and made lasting friendships. Safe passage Steve.
Namaste
Sue
bdwyer
13ers: 640
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bdwyer »

Never heard of a memorial event for Steve. Would have attended, as would have others. If anyone hears of anything, please post.