Steve Gladbach

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Dancesatmoonrise
14ers: 58  43 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (68)

Re: Steve Gladbach

Post by Dancesatmoonrise »

Moraine14 wrote: I imagine that if everyone asked, “What would Steve do?” the world would be a better place.
Though he was there for us till just recently, the legacy left seems to bring it so much more into focus.
The power, in the instructions he passed on to Eric, is undeniable in its simplicity and guidance:

1. Be kind.
2. Take care of yourself.
3. Work hard.

I believe that taken to heart, this guidance can be life-changing.
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

Steve-isms.....

One of my favorites:
sgladbach wrote:In my not so humble and completely accurate opinion....To reiterate, there is no need to respond to these comments. They are 100% correct.
(source)

The message in between the quote above is true gold though, and well worth reading. It was Steve being the mentor to us, as usual.

bigtrout wrote:
sgladbach wrote:A. It could not have been yesterday. I had to stay home from work yesterday; I needed be away from school until I felt better. Today, I feel better.

B. Bill, I'll send something. It was too much of me to expect a guy who makes a living on the internet not to use the internet.

C. The change. When and why?? BTW- I don't know.
Steve, There's no way this could be from Mt. Adams. You called in sick yesterday. You were at home with the flu. You were at home grading Algebra finals with the flu. The photo must have come from a previous trip, or swiped from the Internet. Also, when I was on Mt. Adams earlier this year, the benchmark looked nothing like that.

Where am I?
Busted skipping school. Almost. Kind of. He was really sick! The mountains are the best place to recover! ;)

And of course, respecting those that came before him.... Bock and Mereness

But alas, and not so much an ism but his pride and joy:
His Girls
Gareth
14ers: 25 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Gareth »

Dancesatmoonrise wrote:
Moraine14 wrote: I imagine that if everyone asked, “What would Steve do?” the world would be a better place.
Though he was there for us till just recently, the legacy left seems to bring it so much more into focus.
The power, in the instructions he passed on to Eric, is undeniable in its simplicity and guidance:

1. Be kind.
2. Take care of yourself.
3. Work hard.

I believe that taken to heart, this guidance can be life-changing.
I almost don't feel like I should interject, and I certainly don't want this to sound any bigger than I mean for it to...
But I have to say that in the course of reading the posts in this thread, and having had a while to reflect on them, I really have been touched. What probably sticks out most of all to me is how Steve seems to almost have been truly larger than life. Steve seems to have possessed a wisdom about the positive actualization of life that few people attain. It seems that Steve was able to, at least in large part, live in a way that many people aspire to live, but few really manage to attain. This type of wisdom, and the way that Steve carried it out in the practice of his life (at least as is witnessed by so many people here), in my mind may just place him amongst a class of individuals that I dare not give any examples of, lest I seem to cheapen the sentiment that I am trying to convey.

Maybe, just maybe, someone had a plan in putting Steve on this earth when and where he was. And maybe that mission was aided by the way Steve's life on earth shook out, even if the ending of that chapter didn't turn out in a way that we wanted.
"Most people never run far enough on their first wind to find out they've got a second."
- William James
globreal
14ers: 58  1  26 
13ers: 198 2 6
Trip Reports (61)

Re: Steve Gladbach Memorial

Post by globreal »

bglad wrote:Many Thanks to the 14ers climbing community for your outpouring of love and support for TEAM GLADBACH during this difficult time. My name is Bill Gladbach Steve's brother. I spoke at the funeral service. Britt Jones asked me to post the crux of my message about living out what Steve taught us all. So here they are; please share with any and all. Steve lived out each of these.

1. Spend time in schools volunteering to tutor and mentor the coming generation, particularly if you are gifted in math and science. Do it at the elementary, middle or high school level; wherever you feel you could make the greatest impact. It takes a village.
2. Consider education as a career option. Your influence on people's lives will go far beyond the classroom.
3. If starting a family or expanding, consider adoption as an option. All life is a precious gift from the Creator.
4. Support the foster care system in any way possible. All people need to be loved and cared for.
5. Help other people when you see a need. Open your eyes, ears and hearts to recognize those needs in others. God commanded us to love one another.
6. Work toward mending broken relationships. Admit your wrongdoing, pray for forgiveness from God and those you offended and be willing to say "I forgive you"
7. Consider getting a dog. The Gladbach's are dog people. Before buying one visit your local pound. Dogs give more love than they ever ask for. Just like Steve.
8. Invite others to join in what you love to do. Do it for them not for you. For What you have done for others that you have done unto me.
9. Get and gift a subscription to Guideposts magazine. If you ever feel uninspired to do something for someone else, pick it up and read it and you will be rejuvenated.
10. Show your family and your friends that you love them.

Steve's 3 rules of life: Be kind, take care of yourself, and work hard.

Thanks for all the love and support
Bill Gladbach
Bill,

Thank you for sharing this list in the service (very inspiring) and now for posting them here. 5, 8, and 10 seem to really resonate with me. I've already started working on those.

It's been a pleasure getting to know you.
Britt
PKelley
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 208 3
Trip Reports (6)

Post by PKelley »

I have been away for awhile. So sad to hear of this news. Some of the best stars burn the brightest. Thanks Steve for all you have brought to the Colorado mountaineering community. You left some footprints that won't be filled.
The Dalai Lama when asked what surprised him most about humanity:
“Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”
triyoda
14ers: 41 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by triyoda »

Coming out for my "annual" (6th year in a row) CO trip. Just browsing the boards to see what is happening. Stumbled upon this thread, was kind of floored to see the responses. Who is this guy? Knows everyone? Legend?

How could I know him, I lived in NY (now OR) and only come to CO once a year to hike. Thought back, Trip 2 (July 2009). Hiked Crestone Peak, did not have a solid 4WD vehicle so I had walked up most of S. Colony Road and some guy had given me a ride down. Super nice guy, knew all about 14ers, I think he was on round 3 or something. He recommended "Roof of the Rockies" if i was interested in CO mountaineering. He was super positive and was impressed that I was doing Crestone for 4th 14er, which was pretty much nothing compared to his accomplishments. At the time I had no aspirations of becoming a 14er, because I could only do a couple a year at most. He was optimistic, hey a few a year, keep at and you will get there. After I came home, I got a 14ers account and saw one of his posts, sent a message thanking him for the ride and the suggestions. Well, I loved Roof of the Rockies, I have kept coming back to CO, I have hiked 26 14ers so far and I coming to CO in a few weeks for more. I feel like this guy had more than a little influence. Even subtly, because at the time I was not even an ADK 46er, but after talking with that guy it made me think I should know more about the mountains in my own backyard, just like him. I am a 46er now, but did not seriously pursue this until after the encounter with that guy. He was not the only one who who motivated me to become a 46er, but he definitely made an impression.

Went back to look at my messages to see who that guy was. Steve Gladbach. Wow. So sad, I guess it is easy to see how he touched so many people if I lived 2000 miles away and even though I only met him once, he made an impression. Very sad day. I met his son also, not sure how many other children. What a loss.

Just want to thank you again for you kind words and the lasting impression you made on me.
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

Hey Steve....Denise finally finished her 14ers!! Marlyn & Carson went with her, but I bet you were watching.

I'll always remember meeting you for the first time, Steve, on a CMC trip you led to W Spanish Peak. Denise was on that trip too, and from that trip I had developed a friendship with her. She was my instructor in BMS for the snow school, she was the first person to introduce me to multi-pitch (on the Flatirons), and of course was instrumental on getting me on some other fun CMC/13er trips years ago (to Pilot Knob & US Grant -- which you were there too -- and it's another trip I'll always cherish).
She also introduced me to one of my first regular climbing partners, Bill Tarvin. He taught me a lot over the years too!

Anyway, thanks for leading that CMC trip to W Spanish Peak back in '02.

By the way Steve, I have your -20 bag, so we'll have to do some peaks this winter!

I sure do miss your presence on this site.
nsaladin
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 12 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nsaladin »

I was hoping to start reading Steve's TR's. Does anyone happen to have his username?
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

nsaladin wrote:I was hoping to start reading Steve's TR's. Does anyone happen to have his username?
"sgladbach"
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripmain. ... =sgladbach
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
nsaladin
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 12 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nsaladin »

BillMiddlebrook wrote:
nsaladin wrote:I was hoping to start reading Steve's TR's. Does anyone happen to have his username?
"sgladbach"
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripmain. ... =sgladbach
Thanks, I appreciate it!