Dancesatmoonrise has passed away

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Re: Dancesatmoonrise has passed away

Post by nyker »

I am very saddened to hear about Jim.

We exchanged thoughts and details on trips many times. Being from out of state, it was always tough to coordinate a hike together. I thought we were going to do Capitol together.

I looked forward to his thoughtful trip reports which always conveyed a sense of joy and respect for nature and the mountains as well as his great photography.

Jim, you'll be missed. Wish I got to know your more.

Thoughts and condolences to Jim's family and friends and those who had the chance to spend time with him.
Edslittleworld
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Edslittleworld »

Jim and I became friends in 2010. Around that time, we started mutually watching old Kung Fu episodes posted on YT and would compare our thoughts after some shows...mainly about Taoism. He said that his quiet solo trips up the 14ers (especially in winter) were akin to the opening of the old KF episodes of Quai Chang wandering thru life. We argued A LOT about morality, people, women, religion, life goals, Arizona, etc. However, we still remained friends. I climbed, hiked, cycled, drank beer, and even chased chicks with the guy. What a character!

I'm still in disbelief that a guy with so much life can just be gone. :( Take care my friend...you will be missed.
mtn_nut
14ers: 58  14 
13ers: 35 1
Trip Reports (5)

Post by mtn_nut »

I haven't been on the website much lately, so its sobering to hear that Jim passed away. i was happy to have partnered with him for Handies a little over a year ago for a winter ascent, and a group climb in the San Juans before that. RIP Jim.
mtn_nut
14ers: 58  14 
13ers: 35 1
Trip Reports (5)

Post by mtn_nut »

I hope this photo of him below become an iconic image to celebrate his life.

RIP Jim

hop2it
14ers: 16 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by hop2it »

I've been thinking a lot about Jim, lately. And I actually went rock climbing today for the first time ever, at Garden of the Gods. It was so fun ! His friendship & memory/legacy inspired me! Despite his own illness, Jim took the time to get to know me. What an amazing and selfless thing to do.

I guess, you never know how you will impact a person with your life....good or bad. Always aim for the good.
JChitwood
14ers: 58 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JChitwood »

Very well written, hop2it.
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood
wendroo
Trip Reports (0)

Post by wendroo »

What a shock to try to look for Jim on the www, as I have done once in a while over the years, this time to find that he is gone. I am so deeply saddened, mourning the last few days, thinking so much about the time we spent together. Jim taught me all about rock climbing about 20 years ago, and we had an amazing friendship for several years. He taught me well how to belay a climber, and trusted me even when I had broken my shoulder (skiing!) and used a gri-gri with my arm in a sling!! He also taught me fly fishing, skiing, shooting, backpacking, camping skills, map reading, mountain biking, and even about wines. What adventures we had... I had the time of my life. Jim has enhanced my life in amazing ways, entering my life just when I needed such adventures; only to leave my life when we outgrew each other. I am truly very glad and happy to read everyone's memoirs of Jim the last few days and find that he did continue to grow as an amazing person in many ways, made a ton of friends, had a happy, adventurous life doing everything he loved so much, and found some peace.
Somewhere around here someone was asking for better pictures of him climbing; I found one ... can't believe it's the only one I have, all the rest are butt shots lol! Anyway, in summation, one thing I really wanted to pass on- and I think you would all nod your heads and smile in remembrance of Jim's amazing intellect and talents... There was a time I told Jim I thought he was fascinating. His reply -- "If I am fascinating, it is because I am fascinated!" Truedat!! RIP Jim; Climb on. Image Image
timstich
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by timstich »

Jim constantly cracked me up when I would run into him. Ha ha ha. But get a few beers into him around the campfire and you're really laughing.
randalmartin
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 48 2
Trip Reports (13)

Post by randalmartin »

I was always so impressed with his multiple talents. Excellent musician, medical doctor, rock climber, photographer. Seemed like whatever he put his mind to, he did it well.
CBReno
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CBReno »

He was amazing at everything he did. In the 1980's, in Reno, he was legendary for his telemark skiing. He had a style all his own. He was also quite a character, just when you thought you knew him well, he would pull out a surprise. One day, he said to me, with a sort of hick accent, "I'll bet you didn't know I play the fiddle!" Yes, indeed, he was an amazing fiddle player among his many other talents. He was also a wonderful doctor, I had the privilege of spending a year with him as a friend and girlfriend, as well as a co-worker, while he was a Resident. So many wonderful memories. :-D I am trying to add pictures but it is not letting me, They are too big. :wft: I will keep trying.
Ok, I had to quickly learn how to resize a picture. I think it worked.
2014_12_08_10_53_10.pdf000.jpg
2014_12_08_10_53_10.pdf000.jpg (152.17 KiB) Viewed 5645 times
Jessie_s Dad
14ers: 10 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Jessie_s Dad »

I guess I have not been on the site for quite a while. I was always amazed at his awesome photography on his trip reports. We will all miss him