Dancesatmoonrise has passed away

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Bruton
14ers: 17 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Dancesatmoonrise has passed away

Post by Bruton »

[quote="timstich"] I don't even know if he had a cat.

Tim,
He did have a Cat.
A wild bob-like cat he rescued, loved dearly, and spoke of often.
As per his love life, Jim did everything he could to make the people in his life feel loved.
He was an amazing climber, musician, person, and friend.
And he will be missed.

Thanks for the story.
hop2it
14ers: 16 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by hop2it »

I really miss you , Jim.
globreal
14ers: 58  1  26 
13ers: 198 2 6
Trip Reports (61)

Post by globreal »

timstich wrote:I kind of thought someone was going to put on a memorial, but it doesn't seem like that is going to happen.
Tim, the Celebration of Life service is going to be Saturday, May 3, 2014. The details are coming together and will be posted here on 14ers.com today or tomorrow.
tommyboy360
14ers: 58 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by tommyboy360 »

Wow, I just learned of this news today. I'm in shock. A big loss to this community.

Jim was creative, smart and hard working. He made us all laugh in many different ways. His opinion, experience, creativity and friendly hard charging attitude is a huge loss.

We all will come to an ultimate end of this journey some day but this is way too short and upsetting. My deepest condolences go out to his family, friends and climbing partners.
“It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”
Jesse M
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jesse M »

Dancesatmoonrise wrote: Whimsical musings of those carefree summer days with high pressure over the Great Basin and relative immunity from thunderstorms for those all-day alpine expeditions... [-o<
CarpeDM
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 350 13
Trip Reports (10)

Post by CarpeDM »

I didn’t know Jim all that well. We talked about climbing more than we actually climbed; it just didn’t work out too often. I wish I had more opportunities to learn from him. A couple of times he seemed to open up a little if only obliquely. Maybe others can confirm or deny this, but I got the impression that he was a man who knew both his strengths and failings – a man truly self-aware. In my experience there aren’t a heck of a lot of people like that. I’ll miss you, Jim. And the climbing community will you.
"This route is awesome; you can bring all your favorite holds home with you!" - Cedar Wright
"I just wanna live the life I please; I don't want no enemies; I don't want nothing if I have to fake it
Never take nothing don't belong to me; everything's paid for; nothing's free; If I give my heart will you promise not to break it?" - Lucinda Williams
Jeff34
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jeff34 »

Dear 14er’s and Jim DiNapoli’s friends,

I am writing to thank all of you for the kind words about my brother Jim. It looks like Jim had a lot friend’s who cared about him. My wife and I are happy that Jim had so many friends who shared his passion for climbing. His love of climbing and nature took him to many beautiful places. He was always an adventurer looking for the next challenge. It has been comforting to know he had such good care and help from his dear friends. He is missed. Thanks to you all for sharing your thoughts.

Sincerely,

Jeff DiNapoli
globreal
Trip Reports (61)

Post by globreal »

Jeff34 wrote:Dear 14er’s and Jim DiNapoli’s friends,

I am writing to thank all of you for the kind words about my brother Jim. It looks like Jim had a lot friend’s who cared about him. My wife and I are happy that Jim had so many friends who shared his passion for climbing. His love of climbing and nature took him to many beautiful places. He was always an adventurer looking for the next challenge. It has been comforting to know he had such good care and help from his dear friends. He is missed. Thanks to you all for sharing your thoughts.

Sincerely,

Jeff DiNapoli
Jeff,

Thank you for posting on here. I am really sorry for you, and the loss of your brother. Please accept my most sincere condolences.

Jim had many strengths: His speed in the mountains was inspiring & challenging. His skill and ability as a rock climber was staggering! His artistic & post-processing skills in the photographic realm became well known on this site. And his gift as a musician was something I didn't discover until this last year. Wow…what a brilliant and talented individual. Needless to say, he will truly be missed.

I pray you will be comforted during this season of loss.
pioletski
14ers: 58  58  6 
Trip Reports (48)

Post by pioletski »

RIP Jim! I will miss you and your beautiful photographs and philosophical musings on this site. We never did get around to the winter ascent of KC that we talked about...
The greater danger, for most of us, is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low, and we reach it.
- Michelangelo
globreal
Trip Reports (61)

Post by globreal »

Dear 14ers.com community.

I would like to edit some corrections to my mistakes.

First of all, I've been in touch with Andrea DiNapoli, Jim's sister in law. Jim's brother Jeff (and Andrea) live in San Francisco. I made the mistake of posting Tucson as that was where Jim and Jeff's mother lived.

Second and most importantly, I made a mistake, in implying in my earlier post, that Jim's brother Jeff, didn't attempt return the call to Jim. I didn't know this from my conversations with Jim, but after talking with Andrea, I found out that Jeff did return the call to Jim. He didn't reach Jim, but left a voice message on Jim's answering machine. No one will ever know if Jim got the message or not.

Lastly, I said I my original post this:
There will be a "celebration of life" ceremony to be held in the near future, and details will be posted here once details have been decided.
I wasn't clear by saying "here" whether that meant in this thread or on this forum. Therefore, aside from Laura's post, I'll post in this thread:

This coming Saturday, May 3rd, there will be a Celebration of Life for Jim DiNapoli…Dancesatmoonrise that will involve three events:
1. At 10am there will be rock climbing in Garden of the Gods (Colorado Springs) to honor a long time climbing advocate….especially in the Garden.
2. At 3pm there is a Celebration of Life/Time of Reflection in the Garden. Folks are invited to share their memories or stories about Jim. This will be in the Circle south of the north parking lot. Hike 100 yards south, past the rest rooms from the north parking lot to the stone circle.
3. From 6-9pm, there will be a social gathering with snacks and drinks (bring your own adult beverages) where a tribute video will be shown. Please RSVP for address and directions to: ljjanca@yahoo.com or britt@globalreality.biz
globreal
Trip Reports (61)

Post by globreal »

Dear Climbing Community,

Today we had a wonderful time remembering our 14er climbing member Jim DiNaploi (Dancesatmoonrise). There was a great time at the Garden of the Gods where people shared their memories of Jim. And then their was a social gathering at Jim's home where we showed a video tribute and visited together in conversation.

Several mentioned they would like to read some of this thread they missed. So, this posting should bring it back up to the top of the forum.

Rest in peace Dancesatmoonrise. You will be missed.
Britt
MtnHub
14ers: 28 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (50)

Post by MtnHub »

Britt (and all the rest), I want to thank you for keeping us informed in all this. Living out of state makes me feel especially isolated from the rest of you, as I'm unable to participate in so many of these special events. I gotten to know many of you over the years, and in many cases you feel as close as family to me. While I never had the opportunity to climb or even meet Jim, I was hoping to connect somehow with him this summer. Losing him (and others in past years and months) is hard to grasp, as I held him as a friend with his excellent TR's and photos, a true lover of the mountains who was very generous to others with his time and talents. He will definitely be missed.

Life indeed is short. I want to take (and make) more opportunities to meet more of you. One of my priorities this summer is to meet and climb with as many of the people here in the 14ers.com community as I can. In about another month I will be making a post to hopefully make this more feasible.

God's blessings to you all!