Dancesatmoonrise has passed away

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Dancesatmoonrise has passed away

Post by steelfrog »

Sorry to hear this. RIP
Derek
Trip Reports (57)

Post by Derek »

Wow.

The very first time I climbed with Jim, I was in the middle of my own cancer fight. The kind words and the helpful information he was able to provide me (from his work, he knew some details of the surgery I would be undertaking a week later) helped a great deal for my own mental preparation that I had been having troubles with. I was always grateful for that.

Thanks Jim...rest in peace.

--D
michaelgrundy
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 49 2
Trip Reports (21)

Post by michaelgrundy »

Damn. I am so sad to hear this. RIP....
CarpeDM
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 350 13
Trip Reports (10)

Post by CarpeDM »

Holy crap! I'm stunned. I've been out of the game for a while, but I was just thinking about him a couple of days ago and wondering what he was up to. I will want to know about the celebration of life event.

I'll be playing some Mingus for you, buddy.
Last edited by CarpeDM on Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"This route is awesome; you can bring all your favorite holds home with you!" - Cedar Wright
"Experience is the hardest kind of teacher. It gives you the test first and the lesson afterward." - Oscar Wilde
"I just wanna live the life I please; I don't want no enemies; I don't want nothing if I have to fake it
Never take nothing don't belong to me; everything's paid for; nothing's free; If I give my heart will you promise not to break it?" - Lucinda Williams
GregMiller
14ers: 37  4  1 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (5)

Post by GregMiller »

Very sorry to hear, I greatly enjoyed (and greatly benefited from) his postings and trip reports, and I regret never getting to hike with him, may he rest in peace.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes
BobbyFinn
14ers: 58  21 
13ers: 573 5 7
Trip Reports (19)

Post by BobbyFinn »

I'm very sorry to hear this. Rest in peace. I'll miss his reports.
Bob
wildlobo71
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 88
Trip Reports (3)

Post by wildlobo71 »

Jim was a great resource, pushed me in a positive way - provided steps when needed. I will miss the casual conversations the most - he was all around a very knowledgeable man. Rest in peace.
Bill W.

Time for the next great losing streak to begin.
#forcedrefocus
Brian C
14ers: 45  5 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (25)

Post by Brian C »

Oh man. I noticed his absence lately as well.

RIP.
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth
MonGoose
14ers: 58  16  17 
13ers: 51 11 1
Trip Reports (16)

Post by MonGoose »

I'm very saddened to hear this news. Jim was an influential member of this site and he contributed in a number of areas. Personally, I enjoyed his photography the most.

I was unaware of his fight against cancer and I'm glad that he was able to experience so much of the mountains before succumbing to this illness.

Rest In Peace, Jim. You will be missed.
globreal
14ers: 58  1  26 
13ers: 198 2 6
Trip Reports (61)

Post by globreal »

wildlobo71 wrote:Jim was a great resource, pushed me in a positive way - provided steps when needed. I will miss the casual conversations the most - he was all around a very knowledgeable man. Rest in peace.
Bill,

Knowledgeable is an understatement. He was a medical doctor and in conversations with him regarding medical issues, he would throw out these medical terms and complex body part terms that were WAY over my head. He was very intelligent. And that's not just eulogizing him, he was absolutely brilliant. Many people didn't see that side of him…especially if you only knew him from web postings.
fepic1
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 170 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by fepic1 »

Thank you for mentoring so many of us.
It was my good fortune to have known you

You will be missed Jim
Monte Meals
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Monte Meals »

Jim,

I miss you and will never forget the time that you
belayed / encouraged me up my first 5.9

For me, climbing in the Garden of the Gods will never be the same.